Glen Coe

Name
Ross Angus Williams
Edit My Images
Yes
Traveling through Glen Coe at just the right time on Monday and the sunset was awesome. This picture was the icing on the cake after a great weekend on Mull for the Tunnocks Mull Rally.

DSC_9558.jpg

Comments Please.

I quite like the silhouette nature of it,just a pity someone parked their car in the way :nuts:

Could be anywhere. Nothing to indicate it is a place of significance.

It's a Glen Coe sunset apparently
.....what was you expecting to see,Sydney Opera House ?....the hanging gardens of Babylon ?....herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically ....:shrug:
Apologies to Basil Fawlty :D

lmao :LOL:

I find if I just scroll down till the car disappears it looks much much better ;)

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but.....

It's not really an awesome sunset is it? Dramatic sunsets usually have some interesting clouds etc - there's not a lot going on there, and I think it's maybe a couple of minutes too late as it has got pretty dark.

Hey I might be going against the grain here, but I actually like this photo, I think it has potential.

Get rid of the HUGE logo, do a bit of a straighten and crop top, bottom, left and right and I think you could have a very interesting image.

I like the colours around the suset and the reflection in the water and the bit of lead in line from the 'chanel'.

Otherwise, I think the silhouette adds to the image, in the absence of 'clouds' as previously mentioned. Not all sunsets/rises or even landscapes have to capitalise on clouds. One can make good use of the surroundings regardless of weather conditions, and I think you have utilised them well here.

But then, I am still learning about photography and techniques, so my opinion is purely from an observer and 'what I like to to see' perspective. But I think you have pretty much nailed it here.

Hey, after all we all have different taste in what we like to see.

Well done!

Cheers

Dawn :)

Could have been a nice shot, albeit rather dark, but totally wrecked by the logo.

I'd like to understand that comment Barry, I suspect it's not meant quite how I'm reading it.

I like this image pretty much as it's been displayed here, without the car obviously. I like good use of dark space in a photo and the simplicity of the spot of sun disappearing from a clear sky in a large land certainly works for me.

Would/could be a lovely shot lighten it a tad and get rid of that :bang: car it totally ruins a what could be brilliant photo. :puke:

Agree with the others, as the foreground is black, there is too much of it. Also, whilst I am usually fine with watermarks, this one on this image is insanely distracting. As was said above, scrolling down till the watermark is gone and there is less black improves the image :)

something very weird happening with that pic on my monitor............

looking in the silhoutte bit of the image, about the "mull" of the huge logo...........very blocky and pixellated...........

I'd like to understand that comment Barry, I suspect it's not meant quite how I'm reading it.

I like this image pretty much as it's been displayed here, without the car obviously. I like good use of dark space in a photo and the simplicity of the spot of sun disappearing from a clear sky in a large land certainly works for me.

agreed :)

I'd like to see a logo-free version but on the whole I like it. You've got a bit of a dust bunny to clone out, but other than that, a nice shot.

My point is that this was the scene of a massacre, that is its claim to fame. This image is primarily of the sun setting behind the hills - which could be anywhere - and does not portray the malevolance and betrayal associated with the location. Its a point of view, and is certainly not meant as a criticism, or as a sarcastic comment.

Very nice sunset actually but as said the high contrast level of the logo is dominating the entire picture. Perhaps mute the colour gamut of the logo and then convert logo to mono to blend it in more effectively.

My point is that this was the scene of a massacre, that is its claim to fame. This image is primarily of the sun setting behind the hills - which could be anywhere - and does not portray the malevolance and betrayal associated with the location. Its a point of view, and is certainly not meant as a criticism, or as a sarcastic comment.

That bit there isn't the scene of a massacre though is it? That took place in the hidden valley I think. In fact I am struggling to work out where in Glencoe that pic is, given that it's mostly surrounded by high, steep-sided mountains.

Its a point of view, and is certainly not meant as a criticism, or as a sarcastic comment.

I didn't think it was, which is why I asked.

My education in these matters is not great and when I see the name of Glen Coe, my thoughts go straight to the home of many photographs.

I think it's maybe a couple of minutes too late as it has got pretty dark.

I disagree - having the sun higher this would have proved even more difficult to expose. i actually think he is five or ten minutes to early - once the sun dropped below the distant hills, then the horizon proper i suspect there would have been a lovely orange band of glaoming in the sky.

The image is just underexposed - to keep the detail in the sky. This technique is fine when the silhouette is interesting but I feel there the silhouette is just too dominant. probably would have helped if you did not go so wide and try get as much water and sky in a possibly - It would also have brought the sky mountains in closer too.

thanks for sharing

d

Back