Glencoe wandering

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since I've picked up the camera and tried to PP any shots. These two are the only ones that I think were worth any effort. I'm a sucker for the heather so they had to feature. I kept one in the 3-2 format and another 4-3 and unusually for me I kept to portrait rather than landscape. One had to be blended due to the severity with the sky exposure and the other was more simple..at least I think so. CC welcome.

Glencoe Heather by DuncanTyson, on Flickr

Glencoe Heather 2 by DuncanTyson, on Flickr

I'm also a sucker for heather and that's one of the reasons August is one of the best months to photograph the landscape. Pity the weather is usually so crap!

So I really like your first image; the second doesn't work quite so well for me.

The processing in the third does look a bit over the top to me.

Also re 1 - some chromatic aberration needs removed - look at the colour fringing around the mountain. Fix that and it's the one.
Re 2- you've got some blurred grasses due to motion blur - wind was probably blowing and your shutter would have been slower than 1/focal length. Try look through your cards and see if you have similar without any blurred grasses. It's unattractive.

@jerry12953 I agree re August - I never used to but as I appreciate summer more and more with each and every year and winter less and less it really is a lovely month.

The heather makes it the prettiest of all the months but August poses a few problems

1. Holiday season
2. The weather - I cannot recall an August since 2015 in my area that gave more than a handful of days of suitable (for me) weather. It's often a turkey and it should be the best one yet often isn't with May-July being a better spell
3. Mist and fog - contentious one here but I do not like mist and really do not like fog. With the colder and longer nights setting in yet still warm days breed this awful mist/fog. The bulk of my shots are "big view" so you need clear air - not a peak soup. Most of the angles I shoot are in the morning, near water which makes the matter a lot worse. A lot of togs like mist/fog but it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
To your list of the disadvantages of August you could probably add - midges?

I love photographing in and around fog and it usually clears by mid-morning. Then you've got the heather to play with! What's not to like?

The midges are neither here nor there for me and by the time the fog goes the lights very meh.

I cannot abide fog or mist. I hate it.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Pretty quick edits so missed the CA fringing. Wind was certainly blowing but don’t think I have one without the movement. Struggled with exposure against focal length given the DoF I was going for but might have missed one so will revisit the card.

I’ll revisit 3 and see if a crop helps too. Trying to “pop” something that has much of a flatness to the light often gets me to overwork. I knew I had on this one!

I love the mist if you get a nice break and it hangs in the right places. Downside to August is the midges with the water especially as the Buggers really do like to maul me. I tend to dislike plain skies so anything with a certain amount of cloud coverage is a winner and sometimes it sums a place up too, which works for the lakes and the like.

First two I've not really seen from those angles so well done on trying something new. For me the only thing I'd say is the shadows and blacks look lifted. It needs a bit more of the shadows and blacks to create some contracts and show some depth in the hills.

I quite like the third image as well but would have liked it a bit wider to get more of the hill in.

Great images though!

Back