Globby Fail.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Just shivering in the night air - struggled to keep focus on a fast moving single globular springtail. It's a tiny one mind you - a mere baby I suppose. Saw much bigger ones last year...

Exif:
Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/250 sec, f/10, ISO 200

Paul.

You did well on this very small globby, I`ve never seen one so I wouldnt know where to start looking.
No 2 is the best IMO. :)

Why failed... your lucky to actually find them though now its wet I shall go on the hunt again.

#3 is my fav and #2 could do with a little more crop on LHS.

But they are all cute little buggas

Where's the fail? Looks great to me. Either Dicyrtomina saundersai or ornata, juvenile. I can only see one image though, should there be more?

Edit: Oh I see the others now. Couldn't from my phone for some reason...

Really good set! I like the contrast with the dark background here. Makes them glow a bit ;)

Last edited:
You did well on this very small globby, I`ve never seen one so I wouldnt know where to start looking.
No 2 is the best IMO. :)

The location is the lid of my compost bin Graham :)

Why failed... your lucky to actually find them though now its wet I shall go on the hunt again.

I failed to stay out for barely five minutes, not much longer. It was so cold in the wind and night air I had to give up far too soon...

Where's the fail? Looks great to me. Either Dicyrtomina saundersai or ornata, juvenile. I can only see one image though, should there be more?

Really good set! I like the contrast with the dark background here. Makes them glow a bit ;)

Same as I said, perishing chill factor! I wondered about Ornata. #3 looks darker skinned, but I'm sure it's the same one, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Thanks guys, glad you like 'em. :)

Paul.

Three great shots Paul I like them all and think you have done very well with getting these images.(y)

George.

Nice! I wish I could have some "fails" like that.

Presumably you are doing some major cropping, or putting something else in front of the 100mm, (or both)?

Thanks Nick. :)

Yes - major crop required for these - about the size of one of the rectangular boxes in Lightroom's crop guide - so about 1/9th of the full size image. Add to that, I had all 3 extension tubes between the body & lens as well.

As an example of how tough it is to get it right - here is an uncropped image of a failure - the focus was near its back end instead of the head - and shows how hard it is to focus on something a millimetre in length! Had it been in focus on the head - this would have been very good.

1080fail.jpg

Paul.

Three great shots Paul I like them all and think you have done very well with getting these images.(y)

George.

Thanks George. They are the first of the year - but more will arrive in time.

Paul.

Yes - major crop required for these - about the size of one of the rectangular boxes in Lightroom's crop guide - so about 1/9th of the full size image. Add to that, I had all 3 extension tubes between the body & lens as well.

As an example of how tough it is to get it right - here is an uncropped image of a failure - the focus was near its back end instead of the head - and shows how hard it is to focus on something a millimetre in length! Had it been in focus on the head - this would have been very good.

Very useful to have such specific information. Thanks Paul.

The location is the lid of my compost bin Graham :)

Thanks Paul but I think I am a bit far away to come and photograph something thats on your compost bin lid, thanks for the offer tho. :p:p:D:D

Thanks Paul but I think I am a bit far away to come and photograph something thats on your compost bin lid, thanks for the offer tho. :p:p:D:D

I knew you was typing that Graham...

Look in the tall try opposite your window. :shifty: :ROFLMAO:

Paul.

I like these sort of photo's. How do you take them? How do you spot these? lol

Spotting them is done by going out at night, in the dark, looking like a total fruitcake to your neighbours, as you peer very closely at things on the ground knackering your knees at the same time!

Taking them is practice, careful focusing and using a dedicated macro lens to record images at at least 1:1 size.

Paul.

Taking them is practice, careful focusing and using a dedicated macro lens to record images at at least 1:1 size.
Paul.

Wooh wooooh there tiger a dedicated macro lens is not required. Correct statement a lens with capabilities of greater than 1:1.

Wooh wooooh there tiger a dedicated macro lens is not required. Correct statement a lens with capabilities of greater than 1:1.

Ahhh sweetlips, the definition of macro is:

"The official definition of a macro lens is that it should be able to reproduce a life-sized image of an object on the recording medium – in this case the image sensor."

However, taking images by other methods (tubes, filters and reversing rings) whilst being macro, isn't macro, but it is macro, if you know what I mean.

I agree that these methods (in brackets) produce macro images, but the definition is is the quote (taken from one of the country's leading national photo mags).

Paul.

PS, I knew someone would bite... :D:D:D

Last edited:
And you knew it would be me....

Now with that statement your post has context. Without it, it rather suggest to the reader that a lens defined as 1:1 is the only way to take macro. (Manufacturer jargon) on the most part.

Bar your follow up statement which is incorrect as a macro lens is any not just 1:1 dedicated lens that can produce a life size image on the sensor. It is any glass that does it.

:p:D:D

Last edited:
Back