Glovely stuff

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got recommendations for gloves to use while out & about this winter?
Something warm enough to avoid fingers going numb but also thin enough to maintain dexterity with camera controls, I use a Sony A7iii.

Obviously won't have camera in hand all the time, so can warm the pinkies up with hands in pockets between shots!

I remember answering this exact same question last year. :)

I really struggle with cold fingers but after trying all sorts I've now found the perfect gloves for me.

I wear two pairs but most people might be fine with one. Toasty warm fingers and easily able to operate all camera functions.

I've always followed the answers to questions like this over the years. There seems to be no perfect solution.
I opted for these (on offer) and I can honestly say they are the warmest gloves I have ever used. They sell a fully waterproof version for quite a bit more.

I use macwet climatec gloves. Warm enough on a cold day, and plenty grippy.

I use Macwet too but can't remember the exact type. They have a suede underside so very grippy and thin enough to operate the camera. They are not very waterproof though and not the warmest gloves when it gets very cold. In that case I put a pair of woollen gloves over the top while walking about and then take them off when using the camera.

I've always followed the answers to questions like this over the years. There seems to be no perfect solution.
I opted for these (on offer) and I can honestly say they are the warmest gloves I have ever used. They sell a fully waterproof version for quite a bit more.

Made from a mixture of synthetics so will add to the plastic mountain at end of life.
I really struggle with cold fingers but after trying all sorts I've now found the perfect gloves for me.

I wear two pairs but most people might be fine with one. Toasty warm fingers and easily able to operate all camera functions.
I've used these or similar for years out & about & on the hill. I'd add overgloves or mitts when cold enough. Merino makes excellent clothing layers.

I remember answering this exact same question last year. :)

Thanks, I’m giving their fingerless a try. They sell direct post free as well as Amazon (though I do have Prime) same price.

Im yet to see Vallerett gloves in the fresh, I know many rave over them but I want to be able to use gloves without exposing fingers.
Currently I have a pair of North face gloves that can be worn on thier own if its milder and I can operate the camera fully with them. I then have a thicker glove as an outer layer for really cold or windy weather. If im handholding im generally walking about so dont tend to get as cold hands as I do standing still.

I’ve taken the plunge and shelled out on a pair of the new version of valleret markhovs. Should arrive early December so I hope they are as good as they should be for the price. Been using Lowe pro wind stopper ones for a few years that are fingerless with a mitten that pulls over when not using the camera, but I just prefer full finger gloves to mittens

I did a search for "Photographers Gloves" on Amazon and it brought up several versions with slots for the thumb and fore finger so you can flip the ends out of the way when using the camera, and then flip the ends back on to keep those fingers warm. You should also search "Shooters Gloves" and "Fishermans Gloves" to see what is available there.

I'm rarely working outside my studio these days, so gloves aren't very important to me. I haven't bought any of these. Spring through Fall I do go outside, but then don't need gloves.

Charley

Left to right ... Barbour shooting gloves for when it's chilly and windy, Vallerett for Brass Monkey times, with tasteful Deerstalker hat, lastly Macwet for when it's raining. My weapons of choice. Yes, the Vallerett are supposed to look like that, they are not worn. :)

Attachments

• Gloves 3.jpg
    Gloves 3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 32
The same question every year , my answer after 20 + years at it is this , the wife bought me some in primark a couple of years back they look like childrens gloves and at the time were £1 for two pairs . There actually stretch and fit even my big mitts . The joke is there the warmest most comfortable gloves I have used for photography giving total control over all buttons and switches being ultra thin really do the job .
But go ahead spend £50 plus on some if you want ,I know what works in real terms

Watching more in hope than faith, have been searching for years for a winter glove which actually works, my main use is for riding (horses) which needs sensitivity. I've pretty well given up and have nice hot handwarmers in my pockets and have a re-heat whenever I can. You might try the Patagonia neoprene fishing glove, very good feel and it is designed for folk out for salmon in cold places!

Back