Glowing woodland walks

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been a while since I posted anything up in the forum. Truth be told I was falling into the trap of taking big sweeping vistas and perhaps not being true to myself and taking pictures that I myself enjoyed. Instead trying to take images I thought others would appreciate.

So I decided to get away from the big local and some not so local tourist spots, get off the beaten track and just have a wander through some forest and woodlands. I have to be honest and say it is indeed a struggle to find a composition among the chaos that a forest can bring to the forefront.

But the following image spoke to me so I had to snap it. Like it or hate it, it is the image that has once again set off the spark for photography I once had and feared I was losing.

Has anyone else gone through a similar point in their photography journey?

All comments are welcomed

Glowing woodland by GJ Duncan Photography, on Flickr

It's well composed, well edited too. Maybe a touch out on the colour for me, but if it's your vision and you're happy, then who cares.
I lost my motivation at the end of summer, went weeks without shooting. Thankfully it's back now.
As long as you enjoy what you're shooting now then happy days.

If you like taking this sort of thing kudos to you. You should always take what you want to.

Its not my thing and I prefer the big view type of image over this.

Of its kind though its fine but it just doesn't press my buttons/hold my interest the way some of your other images have. Sorry.

I can see why that scene would rekindle the flame. It's a touch yellow but I don't dislike that, personally. As you said, it's glowing. Woodland can be a real mess but the ferns work well for me.

It's well composed, well edited too. Maybe a touch out on the colour for me, but if it's your vision and you're happy, then who cares.
I lost my motivation at the end of summer, went weeks without shooting. Thankfully it's back now.
As long as you enjoy what you're shooting now then happy days.

I added the yellow to the mid tones and highlights before removing and adding several times. Perhaps should have left it off. I may go back to this image and re edit :)

If you like taking this sort of thing kudos to you. You should always take what you want to.

Its not my thing and I prefer the big view type of image over this.

Of its kind though its fine but it just doesn't press my buttons/hold my interest the way some of your other images have. Sorry.

Thanks Steve, I think I've moved past the big view image style of photography these days. Not saying I wont ever take them again but I enjoy the challenge of finding little hidden spots over the more obvious shots :)

Reactions: ST4
Really like this scene Gavin, although It looks slightly too bright for me.

Last edited:
I rather like this. I always struggle in woodland but this works well. Given the title the pp treatment works ok I think - perhaps a tiny bit bright and yellow. This may be a good candidate for applying the Orton effect as long as it is done with subtlety it may work well.

This is a delightful image, it has an otherworldly mood to it, but the fine detail, ferns and trees are all inviting to explore. It works because the scene is so ordinary. But here you've made the ordinary, well, extraordinary. This is just as visually exciting as any grand vista. Maybe more so because it asks questions. And it's much harder to do. I like it a lot. Terrific work.

Gavin. I agree with Nick above. It is a fine image and almost fairy tale. the saturation is fine for me and would have been prond to have captured it myself. I have lost my photography journey whilst having to many other commitments, but would dearly love to find my way back.
Your image gives me personally inspiration to do so.
Would be interested in knowing the process you uesed ?.

I like it, like others have said maybe a tad too yellow for me, but I'm much more for more intimate landscapes than big vistas that just don't do it for me....Horses for courses as they say.

Gorgeous capture, not my type of image normally, but really like this.
Almost has the look of an old painting where the colours have yellowed over time, which for me suits it perfectly.

I like this. It's all about the light and tones which in this case is superb.

This type of shot breaks a lot of the rules, no thirds, minimal leading lines, nice to do something different to the big views!!!!

I like that a lot. I think your processing suits it. I wish I could get such results.

Back