Glyn Dewis - Photographer|Retoucher|Trainer. Have you heard of him before?

Glyn Dewis - Photographer|Retoucher|Trainer. Have you heard of him before?

• Yes

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
He's not someone I've heard of before but he is being lauded and put forward as the guest speaker for an event I'm involved with. A quick poll around photographers I know had never heard of him before so I am opening it up to a wider audience to see.

Seen one of his presentations before, he's very good and passionate about his subject.

I went on a course with him a few years ago, he's nice bloke and very good at Photoshop, knows it inside out.

As long as the audience will be interested in multiple composite images with a ton PP, then he's definitely your man, and would make a great speaker.

Purest and more traditional photographers will not enjoy it so much.

Seen one of his presentations before, he's very good and passionate about his subject.
I went on a course with him a few years ago, he's nice bloke and very good at Photoshop, knows it inside out.

As long as the audience will be interested in multiple composite images with a ton PP, then he's definitely your man, and would make a great speaker.

Purest and more traditional photographers will not enjoy it so much.

From what you saw, would you guys say he was more Photoshop orientated then?

He teaches at Adobe Photoshop World conferences in the states.

Some of his images are really good - he's an ex-bodybuilder and his penchant is fantasy, physique imagery. He's really good and shows you step by step how some of the really difficult techniques are done and how composite images are planned and created.

Check out his YouTube channel for some examples

Very much so, certainly from the talk I saw.
Totally PS orientated.
He teaches at Adobe Photoshop World conferences in the states.

Some of his images are really good - he's an ex-bodybuilder and his penchant is fantasy, physique imagery. He's really good and shows you step by step how some of the really difficult techniques are done and how composite images are planned and created.

Check out his YouTube channel for some examples

Thanks. As good as he may be it doesn't sound like the sort of thing the general public would pay to see which is my worry.

He's not someone I've heard of before but he is being lauded and put forward as the guest speaker for an event I'm involved with. A quick poll around photographers I know had never heard of him before so I am opening it up to a wider audience to see.

Surprised that others haven't heard about him. I think he would be very good, even for the general public, as he has a very engaging manner and is an excellent teacher.

You could check our his podcast on itunes too

Surprised that others haven't heard about him. I think he would be very good, even for the general public, as he has a very engaging manner and is an excellent teacher.
You could check our his podcast on itunes too
All through this I've been doing a comparison between Glyn Dewis and the likes of Colin Prior or Charlie Waite and can't help thinking that any of the 2 latter names on a flyer or local press are going to attract considerably more interest than Mr Dewis.

Last edited:
All through this I've been doing a comparison between Glyn Dewis and the likes of Colin Prior or Charlie Waite and can't help thinking that any of the 2 latter names on a flyer or local press are going to attract considerably more interest than Mr Dewis.

Given that, you already seem to have made your mind up about Glyn, why did you bother to post this thread / poll :rolleyes:

Given that, you already seem to have made your mind up about Glyn, why did you bother to post this thread / poll :rolleyes:
Of course I had an opinion before I started this poll. Nothing that has been posted as a result of this has changed that so far. Ive yet to see anything that would convince me that he would be a good choice for the evening. With the poll figures standing at around 78 to 8 not having heard of him before, my initial thoughts appear to be substantiated.

Glyn is an a very very good photographer. Do not underestimate that side of his game.
Although a very very good tog he is an even better teacher. He will adapt to the audience.

Glyn is an a very very good photographer. Do not underestimate that side of his game.
Although a very very good tog he is an even better teacher. He will adapt to the audience.

Yes we need to get a better understanding of what he can provide and make sure it is predominantly photography based if that is who we go with but to try and get an audience of 500 people there in the first place is my immediate concern if people don't know him.

Yes we need to get a better understanding of what he can provide and make sure it is predominantly photography based if that is who we go with but to try and get an audience of 500 people there in the first place is my immediate concern if people don't know him.

Why not contact him and see what he has to offer? He may well be unavailable anyway.

Why not contact him and see what he has to offer? He may well be unavailable anyway.
Yes 'we' are in contact already and both sides have the date pencilled in. Details just need to be discussed and approved.

Last edited:

I know many people who own DSLR's and would say that they are keen photographers, yet many have never heard of Henri Cartier Bresson, Annie Leibowitz or Mathew Brady.
The poll now stands at roughly 65% (don't knows) against 35%.

Thanks. As good as he may be it doesn't sound like the sort of thing the general public would pay to see which is my worry.

The problem with us photographers is that we have a very loose grip on reality when it comes to what the "general public" are interested in. It's the eternal fate of the artist to struggle sell what they want to produce, rather than struggle to make what the public want to buy. If you ever find yourself wondering "How on earth did that shot get so many favourites/likes/Explore?" - that's the time to realise you may be adrift of popular opinion.

We're the wrong audience to be asking your question to if you're planning an event for the general public. Take a straw poll of family and friends, ask non-photographer friends on Facebook to watch one of the Youtube videos and tell you what they think.

People should know him from the big show at Birmingham. He did a presentation there

I know many people who own DSLR's and would say that they are keen photographers, yet many have never heard of Henri Cartier Bresson, Annie Leibowitz or Mathew Brady.
The poll now stands at roughly 65% (don't knows) against 35%.
I see your point but I guess I am doing comparisons against someone who actively markets to the general public across Scotland.

Last edited:
The problem with us photographers is that we have a very loose grip on reality when it comes to what the "general public" are interested in. It's the eternal fate of the artist to struggle sell what they want to produce, rather than struggle to make what the public want to buy. If you ever find yourself wondering "How on earth did that shot get so many favourites/likes/Explore?" - that's the time to realise you may be adrift of popular opinion.

We're the wrong audience to be asking your question to if you're planning an event for the general public. Take a straw poll of family and friends, ask non-photographer friends on Facebook to watch one of the Youtube videos and tell you what they think.
Again, good points. A straw poll last night of family and friends indicate that 0 out of a dozen people had heard of him but 9 had heard of Prior.

That's about 90% of those asked not having heard of Glyn. For me I think it's a no brainer. Glyn Dewis is apparently doing an event in Scotland later this year for a load of camera clubs so I'll at least pop along to see that if I can.

Whether they've heard of him or not isn't that important, but if it's the only question you asked it will get the answer you want.. ..

Please see thread title

Again, good points. A straw poll last night of family and friends indicate that 0 out of a dozen people had heard of him but 9 had heard of Prior.

That's about 90% of those asked not having heard of Glyn. For me I think it's a no brainer. Glyn Dewis is apparently doing an event in Scotland later this year for a load of camera clubs so I'll at least pop along to see that if I can.

At the moment the figure is 61% don't knows to nearly 38% knows, so that is very different to your 90%.
He is well known to those photographers who look to improve their skills by going to workshops/seminars, rather than those who have heard of the David Bailey's etc, and are not interested in listening to professionals.

At the moment the figure is 61% don't knows to nearly 38% knows, so that is very different to your 90%.
He is well known to those photographers who look to improve their skills by going to workshops/seminars, rather than those who have heard of the David Bailey's etc, and are not interested in listening to professionals.
This is only part of the poll. Over 100 people have been asked, this forum is the only place people have heard of him. I had hoped for a bigger response from here.

You may be right, there may well be a divide between those 2 groups of photographers, the general public is another group again. I think the poll has served it's purpose.

Last edited:
Back