Go Pro alternatives

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, anyone got any experience of Go Pro alternatives? My wife wants an "action Camera" to mount on the front of her paddle board but we don't really want to spend £3-4 hundred quid on a Go Pro even though they seem to be the best . Had a look at the Apeman range but would like peoples opinions?
Thanks

I just picked up refurbished Hero 5 black on Amazon for £159.99 - having read the reviews of all the 'lookalike' models - and filtered out all the fake 5 star comments - there was a lot of disquiet in terms of reliability and quality. Rather than going for a brand new Hero 8 and spending £3-400 - maybe consider a slightly older model GoPro - lightly used or refurbed?

I have an SJCAM 4000 gopro clone which has been in my car as a dashcam for 5 years without an issue.
Running off the ignition on every single journey - sitting in the baking sun all summer and through the winter on the drive.
Video quality is fine, it came with a bunch of accessories including a waterproof casing that I tested (without the camera) but never used in anger.
It cost about £40 so for very occasional use it might be worth a look - certainly I'd be a lot less upset if a £40 camera disappeared under the water than a £300 GP.
When I got it there were clones of the SJCAM out there so buy with care - I bought direct from Amazon IIRC.

If it's going to get serious use/abuse then I would be tempted to go for the real deal. Same if the footage is going to be used for anything serious.

I have an SJCAM 4000 gopro clone which has been in my car as a dashcam for 5 years without an issue.
Running off the ignition on every single journey - sitting in the baking sun all summer and through the winter on the drive.
Video quality is fine, it came with a bunch of accessories including a waterproof casing that I tested (without the camera) but never used in anger.
It cost about £40 so for very occasional use it might be worth a look - certainly I'd be a lot less upset if a £40 camera disappeared under the water than a £300 GP.
When I got it there were clones of the SJCAM out there so buy with care - I bought direct from Amazon IIRC.

If it's going to get serious use/abuse then I would be tempted to go for the real deal. Same if the footage is going to be used for anything serious.

Plus one for the SJCAM I have two and use them as dashcams also. Never have a problem with either in the years they have been working.

Super cheapies from 7dayshop or similar. Plenty good enough for most "normal" use and cheap enough to be almost disposable.

I have an early GoPro 3 which has been faultless, I recently was given a Akaso 4K which has been the very opposite, the case has leaked and the rear hinge on the case has failed. The camera has stopped recording to the card so I'm glad I didn't pay for it!

I have an SJCAM 5000x no problems with it at all, bought mine from Gearbest

one thing i would look for, i had a GP3, which i recently upgraded to a GP7.

image stabilisation = worth the extra, this can be done in PP with a decent video editing software but it's a real pain, my stuff is only for private/personal fun, so the image doesn't matter, but a jittery vid just isn't great to watch.

i would certainly look for that as an option, (GP5 and above i believe, not sure about cheaper options)

Another vote for the GoPro from me. I tried some of the chinese copies a few years ago along side a Hero4 Black edition and the GoPro was just easier to operate. Using a GoPro would mean that you could also benefit from being able use the remote to control it once it's set up on the board rather than having to go to the camera all of the time.

Back