Go Pro or alternative?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at the prospect of a Go Pro Silver edition for the local scout district. I've seen some hints on line about similar results from alternative cameras, has anyone got any experience of any of these? I'm planning to mix footage from the Go-Pro with DSLR video and maybe traditional video too.

The 720 @ 60fps is good enough for me, (it's the same as the 7d) but I've no idea how useful timelapse might be etc.

If I can go with cheaper alternatives it'll hopefully enable a 2 camera setup, whereas I think I we can only go for 1 go-pro.

Im not aware of any if the cheaper (or even similarly priced) gopro alternatives that are anywhere near as good really, especially for general purpose stuff.

I do some video and stills work for scouts HQ, pretty much always use gopros at least a few times per shoot...

There is Contour HD and its variants but have a different mounting system
I now find it limiting though because of the shape

I did some internet research afte posting this and I have to say there really is no proper alternative, there are other small cameras but the whole feature set for the Gp-Pro is a winner. We're putting together a funding request and hopefully we'll be able to afford to get a go pro (or 2 if we're lucky).

There is a cheaper alternative.

7dayshop do one and from what I remember, identical specs to the gopro HD hero 2 with the exception of flexibility in changing the FOV.

On my phone so can't provide a link buy check on the website, it's their own brand action camera.

Benefits from a built in LCD.

7dayshop do one and from what I remember, identical specs to the gopro HD hero 2 with the exception of flexibility in changing the FOV.

On my phone so can't provide a link buy check on the website, it's their own brand action camera.

I saw that one Phil, but couldn't find enough feedback on-line to make me confidant of it.

Its not the same specs as the Gopro 2 - much closer to the (original) Hero ...

housing rated depth is only 30m, 60m gopro
video is 8mp, 11mp gopro 2
etc,
It is 1/2 price of a gopro 2, has a lcd screen & I'm sure it will do an ok job in a lot of situations - but its not a Gopro replacement...

Its not the same specs as the Gopro 2 - much closer to the (original) Hero ...

housing rated depth is only 30m, 60m gopro
video is 8mp, 11mp gopro 2
etc,
It is 1/2 price of a gopro 2, has a lcd screen & I'm sure it will do an ok job in a lot of situations - but its not a Gopro replacement...

For clarity,
Dont you mean photo mode NOT video is 8mp?
for video they are both 1080p

Last edited:
Back