GOBE filters - 10 stop filter test

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Somewhat late to the party I know, but I have been wanting to try out a 10 stop filter for some time but haven't because I couldn't justify the price just to scratch an itch. The cheap ones often have such bad reviews regarding colour cast that that too seemed like a waste of time.

But I saw the GOBE filters on amazon which are fairly cheap and decided to take the plunge.

Today I gave it it's first go and thought it might be useful to share the results here in case anyone else has been considering these.

Below are two copies of the same image, a 27sec exposure @ f11, ISO160. The first is a jpeg version straight out of the camera, the second is the raw which has been edited to bring it somewhere close to a worthwhile image. Note that the editing has been limited to shadow recovery, and tweaks to curves, contrast and crop, but not changes tot he WB, saturation or anything else that would directly affect the colours.

DSCF5505 by David Walker, on Flickr

The Scaple-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

At about £30 for the 67mm version I am pretty pleased. And apparently by buying a GOBE filter I have also planted a tree, which is nice.

Last edited:
I bought one of these a few weeks ago too. I’m pretty happy, though my shots did have a fair amount of blue cast. Wasn’t difficult to fix in Lightroom though.

Which version of the Gobe filter did you get? They seem to do three different levels looking at them on Amazon.

Even Lee filters suffer from colour cast, my big stopper from lee has a nice blue cast but my little stopper is fine. All easily corrected as mentioned in Lightroom.

Back