Godox portable

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im considering buying a portable flash to help with some of my outdoor pet photography. I see various Godox units for sale at various prices. It would only be used on the very odd ocassions so not wanting to spend to much. I see one 600 head and battery etc for around £350-£370 but it doesnt seem to have TTL. How much of an issue would this be and would i be better off biting the bullet and buying the newer 600 with TTL. Anything else with the newer and more expensive model?

Last edited:
Well the newer 600 with ETTL is a much better prospect, but if you really are strapped, and you can afford the gamble of no after sales support, the older units are perfectly good kit.

I've got a Safari 2 and the reason it's worth more than a brand new similar unit is the fact it's backed by Lencarta.

Personally for a similar budget I'd go for an AD360 II (from Lencarta) unless you really need to overpower the midday sun.

Portraits or in "action"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I'd say the 360 is powerfull enough
_20170415_194248.JPG

Light on shoulder camera left is by the sun. Background is in shadow just to be clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
A speedlight would do mostly at dawn and dusk.

Gavin Hoey has a video on YouTube in the "take and make......" series on doing portraits in harsh sunlight using flash. Because of the different modifier on the 600ws flash it actually didn't give more light.
Really annoying my links doesn't work when I post them from this unit :(

There is also the AD200 that may do the trick

I own the Pixapro Hybrid 360 II (aka the AD 360 II) and it's a great little light. Plenty of power, HSS and built in receiver. Will be adding a second one when I can.

The AD200's look interesting also.

I own the Pixapro Hybrid 360 II (aka the AD 360 II) and it's a great little light. Plenty of power, HSS and built in receiver. Will be adding a second one when I can.

The AD200's look interesting also.
The AD200 is nice because the battery is internal, it seems to last a long time as well (no external pack/cables etc)... it's a great little "in-between" flash/strobe.
AD360 if you need a little extra power. Indoors, proper studio heads are still preferable IMO.

Back