Godox V1 - pre purchase discussion

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I rented a pair of Profoto A1’s last year with a remote for an event I was covering. I was really impressed with them, but cannot justify the cost.

I’ve been following discussions on the new V1 and a couple of videos on YouTube.

I think I will buy one soon. The clincher was that I learned yesterday that it has the built in transmitter, so I will be able to power my 200 and 600’s from the V1. I will also be able to use my triggers to fire the v1 so will have the ability to increase my OCF arsenal.

Has anyone had their hands on/purchased one yet? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see where it offers anything over the much cheaper V860II Li-Ion. Slightly larger, about the same weight, but fewer shots per charge. Personally I think the round head is more of a gimmick in a speedlight.

Unlike the AD200 round head, this just has a regular straight flash tube in it. It produces a slightly more even light pattern but this seems to be down to the finer grained Fresnel on the front tbh, and a bit of diffusion over a regular speed-light will smooth out any hotpsots. It isn't worth the higher price, or the main disadvantage (to me): ie, that they don't fit in the clamp type mounts that take Bowens fit modifiers.

Last edited:
I've got one, I like it. The magnetic snap on gel holders and dome (with the accessory kit) are very neat, the head isn't much bigger than a normal speedlight, and the recycle time is very fast. Only annoying thing is I can't find a spare battery for it anywhere at the moment, but I'm sure they'll come out soon.

Maybe not worth the extra money over the v860ii, but I've got both and I'm pleased with it!

I have 2 of each.

In some ways I prefer the 860 because they have a bounce card built in, which is useful on the dance floor for a bit of fill, they also are easier to put inside a bag, also can fit into the double flash mount for my Profoto Octobox.

Ha6zboz.jpg

The V1 is good for an even light distribution with a semi diffused light straight off. I plan to use the V1 mostly as an off camera light.

G0Q19My.jpg

I have 2 of each.

In some ways I prefer the 860 because they have a bounce card built in, which is useful on the dance floor for a bit of fill, they also are easier to put inside a bag, also can fit into the double flash mount for my Profoto Octobox.

The V1 is good for an even light distribution with a semi diffused light straight off. I plan to use the V1 mostly as an off camera light.

If you were to take just one to an event with you, which would it be?

Back