Godox X1 and Canon 1D mark iv

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm having problems with getting my TT685c to fire off camera when using the X1. I've read the manuals but the flash won't fire? Flash works fine when mounted to camera but when trying to do ocf then it just won't fire?
Any ideas please?

Cheers

Matt

Groups channels and remote mode the same on trigger and flash? I once accidentally had my flash set to be triggered optically which the x1 has some problems doing ;)
At least with Sony using the godox system requires you to depart from camera makers manual.

Thanks for the reply, yes they are both set to the same channel. When I press test on the X1 it will fire the flash off camera but the actual shutter on the camera doesn't fire although the little flash symbol appears in the viewfinder.

Do you have a wireless mode and a hmm, "normal" mode like e.g. Fill- on the camera?
Have you tried different flash modes on camera?
The X1 is for Canon?
Kind of funny cause my X1 for Sony will fire from almost anything except canon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes when set to Ettl and flash unit on camera it works perfectly. When I attach the X1 to the camera set flash unit to radio the X1 will fire using test button but the shutter release won't fire the flash.

Are the 1D and 5 D menu systems very different?
Google "Godox x1 and canon flash menu" there should be some videos on the subject.

I'll just throw out I've seen some odd behavior with other triggers and Canon before. Like if your on silent shutter it won't fire.

Not in silent shutter - had to google that one :LOL:
Just wondering if I need to use a flash sync cord between camera and X1?

Not in silent shutter - had to google that one :LOL:
Just wondering if I need to use a flash sync cord between camera and X1?
Shouldn't have to do anything, just check all remote settings on camera, I'm suspicious that camera menu could override X1 settings.

Have you got the latest firmware on the X1?

I haven't checked the firmware tbf, only came in the post today. I'll have a look at godox website and see if I can find what it's running. Cheers Phil.

Just checked the firmware and it says U19 which according to Godox website that is the latest firmware?

The flash and transmitter aren't very close to each other are they? Say about a foot apart? Ive noticed wireless mode doesn't fire my flash if the two are two close.
There's a cf to change that behaviour though.

Is that on the flash or trigger? Would you happen to know what this function is called as I couldn't find it.
It's buried in the manual, and IIRC it's one of those 'hold these buttons whilst you switch it on' doo dahs

Holding in the channel/OK button on the trigger activates it's costum functions, scroll through the numbers by the wheel and enable changes by group button, select with wheel. :) at least on the X1S. Though I don't see anything related the distance between units here. See the manual on godox.com for explanation of the functions.

It's buried in the manual, and IIRC it's one of those 'hold these buttons whilst you switch it on' doo dahs

Holding in the channel/OK button on the trigger activates it's costum functions, scroll through the numbers by the wheel and enable changes by group button, select with wheel. :) at least on the X1S. Though I don't see anything related the distance between units here. See the manual on godox.com for explanation of the functions.

Ive looked at the custom settings, both in the manual and on the unit but cant see anything relating to distance either. At least, its not obvious if it is there. Its not an issue for me now i know about the distance, but it did have me worried when i first encountered it.

I've heard before that the flash won't fire if it's to close to the trigger. And if you want it that close why not just put it on camera? ;) personally I've shot close-ups and macro with ocf holding the flash in front of the camera lighting down on the critters without problems so.........

When i was researching the flash I came across a video where someone was testing two Godox flashes, and he stated they had to be a certain distance apart otherwise the wouldn't fire. It's not a great distance though, maybe a foot is wider than needed.

On camera was not an option when i came across this issue as i was trying macro as i needed the flash off to the side.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that Phil, much appreciated. I did actually find it on the Q&A page on the Godox website earlier but im still at work so haven't tested it. Seems strange that its a hidden feature like that.
I think that it's a 'safety' feature, to prevent the trigger continually firing the flash when it's packed away.

Which then makes the disabling of that feature something most wouldn't want to do.

But that's speculation.

Hi all.

Tried everything that was suggested, in the end I believe there must have been some dirt/oil/film of some sort on the bottom of the X1 "firing" pins. I couldn't see any dirt but gave them a wipe with a cleaning swab and everything is fine and dandy now.

Thank you to everyone who has commented on here as it's much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

I think that it's a 'safety' feature, to prevent the trigger continually firing the flash when it's packed away.

Which then makes the disabling of that feature something most wouldn't want to do.

But that's speculation.

You could well be right. Who knows.

A quick update from me. I tried the two together BEFORE making the adjustment and it seems it was already working close up, but there are dead spots. I didnt have the trigger on camera but by putting it next to the flash at various positions it would fire the flash, but it seemed when the trigger was close to the base of the flash, and to the side it would stop firing. Very strange.
I'm wondering if the guides on the website are for an older version of the FW, I believe there has been a few updates since then.

Matt, glad you got yours sorted.

Back