Godox XPro now has 0.1 stop adjustment

Can you quote the people in this thread that you call 'so many' stating it is negative.

No you can do that yourself but I wasn't just referring to TP and my comment holds even if it was just you, I don't see why this added feature is something anyone should be critical of.

Last edited:
Which equipment? The AD600 pro? The AD400 pro? All future Godox heads? This is a change that's relevant to future equipment

..............there you go; you've said it yourself - it will help the sales of future equipment so you have fallen for the marketing?

I personally would need an eye upgrade to see 0.1f stops in a studio strobe result.

No you can do that yourself but I wasn't just referring to TP and my comment holds even if it was just you, I don't see why this added feature is something anyone should be critical of.

You can't do it because, whilst accusing people of not reading your replies you aren't actually reading anyone elses! I haven't been negative about it, if you read my replies you will see I have actually said because it is free I am happy with it; my gripe is whether 0.1 stops is actually necessary or something the producers of lighting equipment want us to believe it is important so they can keep selling 'upgrades' that aren't really required.

You can't do it because, whilst accusing people of not reading your replies you aren't actually reading anyone elses! I haven't been negative about it, if you read my replies you will see I have actually said because it is free I am happy with it; my gripe is whether 0.1 stops is actually necessary or something the producers of lighting equipment want us to believe it is important so they can keep selling 'upgrades' that aren't really required.

Look I posted this originally so people were aware that there is a new upgrade, I really do not care if people think they need it or not, if you want it is FREE, nowt else to say

Mike

Last edited:
..............there you go; you've said it yourself - it will help the sales of future equipment so you have fallen for the marketing?

You're effectively saying every change is marketing hype then, rendering that term meaningless.

I personally would need an eye upgrade to see 0.1f stops in a studio strobe result.

The difference is small but it's there, you probably won't notice it when viewing photos in isolation but so what? Most people wouldn't notice the difference between different reflectors, would you suggest we're only allowed to use a single size of standard reflectors because of that or do you accept it's useful to be able to dictate exactly how your photos appear?

Last edited:
You can't do it because, whilst accusing people of not reading your replies you aren't actually reading anyone elses!

I'm sorry was negatively too strong a term for your liking? I apologise! I should have said 'think the update is pointless' (which is obviously a positive), so let me rephrase the earlier statement:

The only thing that surprises me is that so many have found this a pointless change...

Happy now? Not that it changes my point in any important way, there really isn't a downside to this addition.

I haven't been negative about it, if you read my replies you will see I have actually said because it is free I am happy with it; my gripe is whether 0.1 stops is actually necessary or something the producers of lighting equipment want us to believe it is important so they can keep selling 'upgrades' that aren't really required.

It's odd you should see this as a conspiracy by Godox to sell more equipment, you could throw the same accusation at Broncolor back in the 80's or Elinchrom in the 90's but no one has because it's a ludicrous thing to do when it's just what was deemed as the most practical way to adjust that type of equipment.

If 0.1 adjustments truly are pointless why is no one telling this to Profoto, Broncolor, Elinchrom, Hensel etc? They've been making equipment using that method for years in error!

Last edited:
So first a minor correction. I used the word Accuracy where I should have used Precision. Definitions got messed up in translation

Secondly I have to apologize for misreading a .8 as a .6 in the 1/16 output row for the AD600Pro chart here. this reduces the points of data with the 0.2 stop variation from two to one (now just the 1/128 output)
So you could rigthtfully argue my statement on the 0.2 stop precision was invalid. I apologize. I should have read the charts more thouroughly.

https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/8220932708/TestResults.jpeg

one of many places for this test to be found

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/822...x-vs-godox-ad600-pro-vs-broncolor-siros-800-l

Still the core of my stating the 0.1 stop increments as means to finetune exposure stands since you cant reliably do that when your variation is the 0.1 stop.
Again you could argue the one 0.1 variation in the 1/1 output of the AD600PRO is an outlayer but how many of those can we tolerate?

Last edited by a moderator:
So first a minor correction. I used the word Accuracy where I should have used Precision. Definitions got messed up in translation

Secondly I have to apologize for misreading a .8 as a .6 in the 1/16 output row for the AD600Pro chart here. this reduces the points of data with the 0.2 stop variation from two to one (now just the 1/128 output)
So you could rigthtfully argue my statement on the 0.2 stop precision was invalid. I apologize. I should have read the charts more thouroughly.

https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/8220932708/TestResults.jpeg

one of many places for this test to be found

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/822...x-vs-godox-ad600-pro-vs-broncolor-siros-800-l

Still the core of my stating the 0.1 stop increments as means to finetune exposure stands since you cant reliably do that when your variation is the 0.1 stop.
Again you could argue the one 0.1 variation in the 1/1 output of the AD600PRO is an outlayer but how many of those can we tolerate?

A. If there is actually a 0.1 stop difference, pretty sure that his testing is not as accurate or as rigorous as @HoppyUK would detail

B. Now that the AD600PRO can be adjusted in 0.1 stop settings these tests are no longer valid as we don’t know how much the settings affect the output

C. If it ain’t for you then walk away, don’t use if you actually have the gear that can use it

Mike

Cheers Mike :)

I wouldn't pay much attention to any test figures that are not made with a double-diffuser softbox as a start. It's vital that all the light is collected, diffused and projected in exactly the same way. There have been a few tests recently comparing say a speedlight with Fresnel head against a bare-bulb head in a small reflector with a claimed similar angle of projection - completely hopeless, there are lots of variables in that which may not be obvious but can make a very big difference. Just using a medium size double-diffuser softbox with interchangeable mounts will usually get some meaningful comparisons.

If anyone is interested, my rig takes the detail a lot further, using two identical 90cm softboxes sealed face to face, with the flash fired at one end and metered at the other. That's the basis of it, but inbetween there are five carefully positioned diffusers, plus ND filters to calibrate the output and mods around the flash mount to ensure that all the light is collected and nothing is lost. The calibrated output ensures that the meter readings relate exactly to a single softbox used in the normal way at 1.0m, and it also meters modelling light brightness and HSS output directly in the same way.

Just updated my XPro, a little disappointed to realise they'd kept the fractions even when it's set to 0.1 adjustments, I'd assumed selecting 0.1 adjustments would also give us stops for the power level (e.g. 1/1 = 10.0, 1/4 = 8.0, 1/128 = 3.0 etc).

Oh well.

I was hoping this addition might enable it to control the power on my SF600's but alas not - it will trigger them, but still no power control - even though you do see the little receiver LED on the plug-in receiver flashing as you turn the dial on the X-Pro. No idea why it can't do this - but then the original controllers would only work with one or the other at a time (you needed to do some double press/power on voodoo to switch between the two modes: 5.0 - 10.0 or 1/32 - 1/1), even though the receivers are the same, interchangeable between lights, and non-configurable apart from group and channel.

Works like a charm on the Safari II though. In fact it's better than the original controller as it allows me to turn the light off remotely with one click rather then having to go down through the power, past the light's minimum of 1/32 to 1/128 and one more to off. Better still, when you turn the group back on again, it remembers the power setting.

Hi, yes!

You choose if you want to switch to the 0.1 increments in the XPro menu. I’ve been mostly using my AD200s recently so switched to the original 0.3 setting.

Even if I left it at 0.1 it would still work but only effect the change up or down when it reached the 0.3 setting on the AD200s if using a mix of the two. Hope that makes sense!

Hi, yes!

You choose if you want to switch to the 0.1 increments in the XPro menu. I’ve been mostly using my AD200s recently so switched to the original 0.3 setting.

Even if I left it at 0.1 it would still work but only effect the change up or down when it reached the 0.3 setting on the AD200s if using a mix of the two. Hope that makes sense!

Many thanks! I've a shoot today so won't update prior to that, but will get the firmware installed this evening to test.

Actually it is the other way round, people want the 5.3 they set on camera and not the 5.2 or 5.4 they have to accept because they do not have that granularity of adjustment.

As you say, can you see it? Well I know of one Major photographic company that insists that photographers that work for it use lights that can be adjusted in 0.1 stops because they insist that key light is set at f8.2

Mike
Interesting, but not surprising.
A lot of the "production line" studios - portrait, makeover, packshot etc - work to a very rigid lighting formula to get very consistent results. They never change their lighting arrangements and never allow their 'photographers' to use any discretion. Not a good thing and not an example of good practice, but it does mean that they don't have to pay for real photographers...

Back