Going abroad in car registered not in your name?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Can it be done?

The car is question is technically mine but was used by dad and so is still in his name on DVLA documents.

I will put it on my own insurance but does V5C matter at the borders and would I need some special documents?

I am thinking of maybe going to lavenders in France so probably can't wait too long for new documents and then will be selling it shortly after - it is a convertible with values sure to drop a lot later in autumn so now is the time.

My experience has been that I have never been stopped in France or questioned at the border over many years of driving there.

As I understand it, you need to have the V5 document and proof of insurance. If the V5 is not in your name (my cars are always company cars), you need a letter authorising you to drive it.

Anyway, I can't see it being a problem if you get a letter from your dad saying that it is his car but you have full permission to use it.

As I said, I have never been stopped either at the border or while driving in France so it is unlikely that you will have a problem.

EDIT: I generally travel there by Eurotunnel (if that makes a difference).

I have been stopped in my Passat in germany a couple of years ago (probably because of anti merkel Facebook posts) and I had very nasty time and ended up calling DVLA asking to get the stazzi hounds off my neck.
I've been checked in Poland, Slovakia and Austria too, but that was just a routine border enforcement

So what sort of letter does it need to be and does it require an official verification of any sort?

My experience has been that I have never been stopped in France or questioned at the border over many years of driving there.

As I understand it, you need to have the V5 document and proof of insurance. If the V5 is not in your name (my cars are always company cars), you need a letter authorising you to drive it.

Anyway, I can't see it being a problem if you get a letter from your dad saying that it is his car but you have full permission to use it.

As I said, I have never been stopped either at the border or while driving in France so it is unlikely that you will have a problem.

EDIT: I generally travel there by Eurotunnel (if that makes a difference).

+1

BUT ... dont forget spare bulb kit/fitted beam deflectors, unless your lamps can be deflected by the car to the correct side of the road, breathalyser (I think) and reflective jackets IN the car for everyone (no good having jackets in the boot), warning triangle and I think you also need a first aid kit too, possibly an extinguisher.
Never been asked to show any of these ..............

Last edited:
The letter I had simply gave my name and address on a company letterhead saying that I had full permission to drive the car and that it was fully insured.

I'll try to find where I found the suggestion to bring this letter.

Doesn't matter. I've never been asked for v5c crossing borders. If you remember the v5c has written in big letters at the front "THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP"

Doesn't matter. I've never been asked for v5c crossing borders. If you remember the v5c has written in big letters at the front "THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP"
Yup, not sure why the registered keeper shown on the V5C would have to give the legal owner of the vehicle permission to use their own vehicle.

I have been stopped in my Passat in germany a couple of years ago (probably because of anti merkel Facebook posts) and I had very nasty time and ended up calling DVLA asking to get the stazzi hounds off my neck.

What did you do to make the behave like that? Open your mouth?

Yup, not sure why the registered keeper shown on the V5C would have to give the legal owner of the vehicle permission to use their own vehicle.

What proof is there to say that I am the owner and not the registered keeper? I paid cash and he signed the documents; there is no paper trail other than ebay bid. We all know that but the border forces clearly don't.

Finance and leasing companies own a large percentage of vehicles these days....

Back