Going even Simpler

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
So through circumstance, I've not used my studio lights for an absolute age. I started to use a bit more on camera flash in the meantime. This time I went a bit further (well I forgot to charge the speedlight batteries) and just used the 50mm f1.8.

Again a quick (the kids will give me a couple of mins on a good day, a few seconds for most of the time!) pic of my youngest before she went out to a party! I think reflectors/lights help to add a bit more pop but am pleased with the result given the time/space limitations!

Jessica Natural Light by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

I like that a lot Shaheed. One window, and your skill, has done the work of two/three lights and various modifiers very well, and the catch lights are very natural too. Top work as usual.

I like that a lot Shaheed. One window, and your skill, has done the work of two/three lights and various modifiers very well, and the catch lights are very natural too. Top work as usual.

Cheers Ian

The house is slowly recovering from the building work so I keep shooting in various spaces. View attachment 44146

This is where the pic was taken - the sideboard has been moved in there since!

S

Charming! If only my son was so compliant :)

I've been pushing myself to use improvised spaces too. My inner control freak is rebelling but I'm enjoying the challenge; it certainly seems to work for you.

Not sure the kids are compliant, I just get a a small window of time during which they'll let me take pics. It's getting ever smaller.

Quite enjoy the on the fly set ups! Hope to get the backdrops out soon(ish) though.

Thanks for looking and commenting

S

That's lovely Shaheed. Beautiful tones. Is that a subtle texture applied to the background?

That's lovely Shaheed. Beautiful tones. Is that a subtle texture applied to the background?

Thanks Paul

It is! The walls have only been whitewashed after the build and are slightly patchy in some areas. The light was best in this corner but the wall was not. Worked round it with a texture.

I remember having to tell Jessica to take the steps forward to get the right direction from the light. Ended up putting my lens cap on the floor as a marker for her!!

These tones are perfect for a portrait. I have to say I find the heavily lit/reflected and staged portraits (particularly of youngsters) painful as they tend to somehow remove the character of the sitter and become somewhat stylised.

Your model is relaxed and cheerful with happy anticipation. Plus a cheeky grin beginning :clap:

Nice image.

Personally, I think it is a little under and a bit too blue/gray... a little "washed out." At least on my (calibrated) monitor it is.

I think just a bit more editing would bring this up a notch.

These tones are perfect for a portrait. I have to say I find the heavily lit/reflected and staged portraits (particularly of youngsters) painful as they tend to somehow remove the character of the sitter and become somewhat stylised.

Your model is relaxed and cheerful with happy anticipation. Plus a cheeky grin beginning :clap:

Ha!! I'm probably very guilty of the lit/reflected style usually!!

I have toned it down a bit and gone for a more muted look in this instance.

Thank you for your kind words!

Shaheed

Nice image.

Personally, I think it is a little under and a bit too blue/gray... a little "washed out." At least on my (calibrated) monitor it is.

I think just a bit more editing would bring this up a notch.

Thank you

I have actually edited it as you've described (with blue/grey tones and some desaturation).

I wanted something to show a more delicate/calm side compared to the usually manic/fun loving crazed personality that Jessica usually exudes!

I take your point though and don't totally disagree!

Shaheed

Gets my vote too,proper nice image Shaheed. Great that you have given me/us an insight as to how one could try and get light like this.

Gaz

Superb and proof you don't need a fancy light set up or expensive lenses to get a truly great image.

Love it! Lighting and composition are spot on and the colour is subtly understated :)
Absolutely right. A lovely & very professional quality portrait- one to be proud of; and the landscape format works very well, with your discreet & elegant logo tucked away there.:)

Absolutely right. A lovely & very professional quality portrait- one to be proud of; and the landscape format works very well, with your discreet & elegant logo tucked away there.:)

Thank you! I love the landscape format for portraits!

Great shot Shaheed, the natural look and feel compliment your daughters pose perfectly. Thanks for the set up shot too.

Great shot Shaheed, the natural look and feel compliment your daughters pose perfectly. Thanks for the set up shot too.

Thank you!

Not really much to the set up. A big window camera left and adjust her pose/position so she's standing in the "best light"!

Shaheed

Cheers Ian

The house is slowly recovering from the building work so I keep shooting in various spaces. View attachment 44146

This is where the pic was taken - the sideboard has been moved in there since!

S

Lovely work as usual Shaheed, I would have made a right hash of it if I'd forgotten something or had not flash, what tripod are you using if you don't mp kind me asking ? Is it a redged?

Lovely work as usual Shaheed, I would have made a right hash of it if I'd forgotten something or had not flash, what tripod are you using if you don't mp kind me asking ? Is it a redged?

Thank you!

I didn't use a tripod for this shot....it just happened to be tidied away to that corner!

It's a red snapper one I bought a while ago, can't recall the exact model though! I have used it for self portraits with the kids and also with the ball head slightly loosened for shooting portraits when I'm behind the lens.

Shaheed

You're a man after my own heart, mate. I love the simplest of techniques allowing you to focus on the subject.

I think that's a great photo, I'm inspired!

Thank you,

I'm pleased with positive comments, but if my little pic makes people want to take more pics, then I'm especially happy!

Do post up your pics in a new thread!

Shaheed

Personally much prefer this one, you can see her emotion coming through in it. Your watermark is out of focus though so points lost for that haha!

Back