going full frame

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello and good morning.

I've recently got the photography bug back have decided to "invest" in some new gear. After lots of mincing about over whether I should get a d7100 or a full frame camera (I currently have a d90) I've gone for the d610. This decision was made when I found the fx camera for just over 1200 quid.

My only concern is about the relatively small focus area on this fx camera. I really liked what the d7100 had to offer, but I cant help thinking I'd always have had full frame in the back of my mind.

Along with the new body im looking at new glass. The 3 lens im looking at are the tokina 16 -28 f2.8, the tamron 24-70 f2.8 and the sigma 70-200 f2.8.
I know these aren't going to be up there with the Nikon versions of all 3, however from what ive read they are more than capable of doing a great job. Additionally the best price ive found for all 3 totals just over 1700 quid-which isnt too shabby compared to the total value of the nikon equivalent. I'm not overjoyed by the tokina's lack of filter option, but for the price, I guess I can live with that. These 3 lens should cover most situations, I hope.

I already have a Nikon 50m 1.4 and will probably look to sell my 70-300 4.5 -5.6. and put the money towards a better tele zoom. all in all im very excited about going full frame and spending more time on the hobby. Not to mention sneaking new gear passed the E.P.O. (entertainment prevention officer).

Mincing... :D

That's a nice upgrade!! Have you took into consideration selling your current gear? Maybe that money could go towards a tamron or sigma version of the tokina so you could use filters?

Mincing... :D

That's a nice upgrade!! Have you took into consideration selling your current gear? Maybe that money could go towards a tamron or sigma version of the tokina so you could use filters?

yeah the d90, kit lens, battery grip, batteries and camera bag all on ebay now. lots of watchers but no bids at a £250 starting price. the filter issue is more about providing some level of protection for the glass rather than adding any effects.

No ff camera has focus points covering the same area of the frame as a crop because the crop is simply that - a crop of the same frame a ff camera offers.

No ff camera has focus points covering the same area of the frame as a crop because the crop is simply that - a crop of the same frame a ff camera offers.

though compared to the d800, the d610's focus points are crammed in more tightly in the centre of the frame?

Thought so...

For the same price (panamoz) take a look at the tamron 70-200mm VC which is sharper all round (especially towards the edge of the frame wide open).

thanks will take a look. cracking fb photos btw

Thought so...

For the same price (panamoz) take a look at the tamron 70-200mm VC which is sharper all round (especially towards the edge of the frame wide open).

have found it new for under £500. how does it perform for macro? this could kill 2 birds with one stone.

It doesn't perform for macro...it's not a macro lens...

I have used extension tubes which give good results though but the weight is a bit overbearing for too much of that kind of stuff.
ah, id gone looking at the wrong one.

though compared to the d800, the d610's focus points are crammed in more tightly in the centre of the frame?

Yes, that's true, but its a cheaper camera. To be honest unless you crave megapixels the D700 is a better camera.

That's interesting because I understood that that wasn't possible.

Back