Going Home

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Going Home:

We are all made of stars.

The iron in our blood; the carbon in our cells; the calcium in our bones. All these elements were forged inside dying stars as heavier and heavier elements are fused together when stars lose their battle against gravity. When the star finally expires in natures most spectacular firework show - the Nova, these elements are spread throughout the universe to create life elsewhere. This is where we came from. Our own sun awaits this fate too, and it's death will fuel life elsewhere. The cycle repeats until entropy has used all the universe's energy.

We are all made of stars.

This series of images is a whimsical look at our species' long fascination with the heavens, and Man's desire to reach the stars... to go back to our beginnings... to go home.

All images ©2012-13 David Gregory. All Moral Rights Asserted.

View attachment 40748
View attachment 40745
View attachment 40749
View attachment 40747

Last edited:
Love the one with the boat, I don't know why I like it I only know I do

I like the first one... sort of looks like one of those B movie sci-fi type images..
I like the last one...she seems so insignificant amongst all those stars around her, which is at odds with how much significance we place on ourselves...
I also really like the boat one... that's the best one for me
Are these composite images?

Yes.. impossible to get the models, make up artists, and stylists to those locations, and even if I could, the models would never be able to stand still for so long.

Re: B Movie... Ed Wood was part of my sketch book research for this :)

Last edited:
Yes.. impossible to get the models, make up artists, and stylists to those locations, and even if I could, the models would never be able to stand still for so long.

Ok, thank you...
Is it a real meteor in the 2nd image?.

Yes, hardly any processing done to the images. The backdrops are one take.

[edit]

Just checked my PSD files... just a levels, curves and black and white adjustment layer on each.

[edit...edit]

I think there was some clarity added in LR at RAW stage to help star contrast... I processed the RAWs at work... can't check that now.

Last edited:
Very nice. Are you telling us how you lit them? Light-painting, flash, ...?

Very nice. Are you telling us how you lit them? Light-painting, flash, ...?

All studio flash for the models. Bowens Gemini 500C, with small spill kill dish. All single flash head to replicate the moonlight. Diagrams were made of the moon location, direction, height etc, so the studio flash could be in the same position.

The shot with the tree and the black girl also had the location lit from the right with a Speedlight SB910 off camera.

The last shot was lit using a large beauty dish as the moonlight was diffused through clouds.

Very interesting and creative David enjoyed them very nice set indeed, and if I had to pick just one it would be the last one, many thanks.
Kevin

All studio flash for the models. Bowens Gemini 500C, with small spill kill dish. All single flash head to replicate the moonlight. Diagrams were made of the moon location, direction, height etc, so the studio flash could be in the same position.

The shot with the tree and the black girl also had the location lit from the right with a Speedlight SB910 off camera.

The last shot was lit using a large beauty dish as the moonlight was diffused through clouds.
Very meticulous. Were these commissioned, or just for fun?

Thank you :)

Excellent set, love them all but keep going back to the last one. Must be the sky in the last, really draws me in.

Absolutely excellent work, the composition of 2 and 4 is sublime. Those skies are gorgeous.

If you've ever read the book Blink you'll know what I mean when I say as soon as I saw these, before I ha any real time to assess composition, exposure....etc, etc, I liked them.

All good but #2 stands out for me. The detail in her dress in superb.

I'm going to come back to these.

Great work!

Cheers.

I have read Blink... I'm assuming you mean Gladwell? yes, I have, and i know what you mean.

Thanks for looking :)

Last one is superb, don`t know why I like it so cannot wax lyrical about the technicalities, but I just looked at it and thought "wow".

Very good Dave.

I only composite an image if it's absolutely necessary... which in this case it was. To create what I had in mind was impossible any other way.

Thanks for looking.

Stunning work David.

Number one is my pick, can't beat a sci-fi chick. The house and her pose really set if off for me.

The B&W conversions are perfect and really add to the feel of the shots.

Thanks.... if I'm honest, I prefer that one too.

Been moved to the newly refurbished Projects and Themes sub-forum, so bumping for the correct audience perhaps.

I'm glad these got bumped. I really enjoy looking at them.

In another thread you had a behind the scene shot, I think it was just the model in the studio, I wonder if that would be worth linking in here, I also wonder if it was dilute the impact... I'm indecisive like that...

I'll see if I can dig it out. Thanks.

Ah, I was thinking Plan 9 From Outer Space as I was looking at them - " Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives." :)

I'm glad these got bumped. I really enjoy looking at them.

In another thread you had a behind the scene shot, I think it was just the model in the studio, I wonder if that would be worth linking in here, I also wonder if it was dilute the impact... I'm indecisive like that...

Just remembered this for no apparent reason.. I can't find the thread despite searching, but here's the studio shots.. except the dude with the spear... that must be at work and never copied over to my home archive... so glad I remembered now.

_DSC1655.jpg _DSC1661.jpg _DSC1693.jpg

oh,,, and here are the background images.

_DSC1534.jpg entropy2.jpg made of stars 3b-flat.jpg made of stars.jpg

no attempt at colour balance was made as they were intended to be black and white.

Last edited:
All excellent David and great to see the individual shots that make the photos.

Your title for the project has got me singing Moby in my head. . .

People they come together
People they fall apart
No one can stop us now
'Cause we are all made of stars

David, I love these, but especially the last one and the one with the boat. That guy looks like he's been stood there absolutely transfixed by the sky for so long his boat has rotted away. Wouldn't it be something to be able to do a time lapse like that over enough time to see that degradation happen.

100% views of the compositing if anyone's interested.

skr36Pz.jpg

HF5NAsm.jpg

Back