Going on my honeymoon need a decent landscape lens

Edit My Images
Yes
As per title guys

I will be going to Mauritius on my honeymoon in three weeks time and I have been pretty adamant I need to get rid off my kit lens and purchase a 14-24mm nikon f2.8 lens as I would be looking to take loads of photos of the landscape.

Now I have a d5200 which I will be looking to upgrade in the not too distant future to full frame so which brings to my original question. Is the 14-24 worth it? or shall I go for its cheaper older brother at f4?

Thanks

You won't shoot landscapes at f2.8 or f4 ! I shoot at f8 to 12

The 14-24mm is a brilliant lens. My fave in fact.

Mauritius has some of the best sunsets in the world but a narrower angle of view will create less flare.

We actually went scuba diving which was more interesting (with a waterproof camera) than the landscapes. You don't need to go very deep in the water to see some wonderful sights. In fact a snorkel is more than adequate for a lot of shots.

....but what the hell are you doing worrying about your lens on your honeymoon unless you are taking portraits in which case you will need your fill in flash !

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
I've used both the 14-24 and the 16-35 and both are excellent. I doubt that at apertures most people would use for landscapes ie F11 or F16 you could tell the pictures apart. I now have the 16-35 because i find the 24-35 range more useful than 14-16mm but everyone's needs are different. On a 16mp dx sensor that you have at the moment you would get fantastic results with the dx lenses stopped down, even the kit lens if its wide enough. A good travel tripod would be my primary concern!

thanks for the tips guys :D

true true it is my honeymoon but the inner photographer in me doesn't wanna miss the epic scenery.

16mm isn't really much wider than 18mm so I would seriously consider otherwise, 14mm is getting pretty wide but then the long end is quite short. Also, both lenses will dwarf your camera and really won't balance well.

Personally I would just use the kit lens, it's plenty good enough and without trying to sound like a broken record landscape does not necessitate UWA.

thanks guys

i've decided to use the kit lens on this instance. I don't think the missus would approve of me spending nearly 1k just before the honeymoon :p

I remember taking pics of my wife on our honeymoon, mostly.
Are you trying to get off on the wrong foot right at the start?
Everyone's different, but get your priorities right!

BTW, we're still together, happily, after 38 years.

Last edited:
Love all the people saying you shouldn't be thinking photography on your honeymoon I'm guessing your wife to be knows you and your hobbies so won't mind you spending a bit of time taking some decent pics.

Mine would have been most annoyed if after our once in a lifetime trip I didn't have some shots for the wall/album!

I said 'mostly'. :)
There was a rather photogenic ruined castle above the beach...

12-24f4is a crackin lens. However a 14-24 will be more like a 21-36mm on your crop. I've used and still have both. The only reason I went to a 14-24 was because I went FF and I like Milky way shots.

You wont be disappointed with the f4 and I bet in a few months time provided its still in the same condition you'll be unlucky to lose any money on it.

Or hire a Tokina 11-16mm

Last edited:
hahah . thanks guys

I think I may stick to taking pics of the missus to please her :D

Or hire a Tokina 11-16mm

^^^^^^^

Great choice on a crop!

Back