Going Solo

Edit My Images
No
The musician, not me... As he's acoustic, thought I'd try getting a bit retro. But getting this shot was a nightmare. Never mind the yobos in cars shouting rude things, try to manually focus an old 500mm mirror lens on a moving subject as night falls is not that easy... Anyway, it took a while before the combination of car lights, focus and attitude coincided. As always, comments and opinion welcomed.

Stuart (flare)LR.jpg

I quite like it, and it achieves what you were hoping for I think - very atmospheric.

It looks like you have cropped the image anyway, but I would be tempted to tone down / crop the headlight on the left, as it's slightly distracting. The warmth of the glow itself works well though.

I quite like it, and it achieves what you were hoping for I think - very atmospheric.

It looks like you have cropped the image anyway, but I would be tempted to tone down / crop the headlight on the left, as it's slightly distracting. The warmth of the glow itself works well though.

Thanks Grant, yes know what you mean, and it actually works fine cropped upright without the headlight. Either or I guess. Thanks for looking!

"Cracking" shot Sir, love everything about it, nuff said.(y)

George.

It's very effective. Why did you go for the mirror lens? Wouldn't a 70-200 been just as effective & a heap easier to use?

Thanks Simon. Hmm let's see. Apart from my masochistic photographic tendencies, I was after high compression and th longest proper lens I have is 135mm and that just didn't cut it being very clean and sharp. The old 500 cat suffers flare and definition problems in spades and I hoped this would convert into a 'quality' retrograde image.

most of my points have been covered above, but to me, the cars are too modern to compliment any retro feel. its just unfortunate that the line of cars were as it was when you took the photo as the silver one is perhaps the most obvious and modern one. nice shot overall though.

most of my points have been covered above, but to me, the cars are too modern to compliment any retro feel. its just unfortunate that the line of cars were as it was when you took the photo as the silver one is perhaps the most obvious and modern one. nice shot overall though.

Thanks, yeah quite agree about the cars, not really suitable. Thanks for looking!

Thanks Simon. Hmm let's see. Apart from my masochistic photographic tendencies, I was after high compression and th longest proper lens I have is 135mm and that just didn't cut it being very clean and sharp. The old 500 cat suffers flare and definition problems in spades and I hoped this would convert into a 'quality' retrograde image.

Fair enough! I'd have tried the plastic-bag-wrapped-around-the-lens trick for a similar effect.

Same as above here - cracking effort and just a couple of slight issues preventing it from being a great shot. I'm not too worried about the nearest lights but the modern car slightly detracts. Great effort tho and I admire your persistence in a tricky situation!

Same as above here - cracking effort and just a couple of slight issues preventing it from being a great shot. I'm not too worried about the nearest lights but the modern car slightly detracts. Great effort tho and I admire your persistence in a tricky situation!

Thanks Rich, yeah, damn modern cars...

I like it, ok so the details (cars) aren't perfect but it has great atmosphere and very well shot. He looks a bit like Kelly Jones.

For me the atomsphere is Ok and the cars don't bother. For this kind of shot I do like crisp sharpness and there it lacks. I think the 500mm mirror lens wasn't the right tool for the job.

You could well be right. Thanks for looking!

I like it, ok so the details (cars) aren't perfect but it has great atmosphere and very well shot. He looks a bit like Kelly Jones.

I had to look him up, but yeah, he does! Thanks for looking!

probably been said already, but it caught my eye on the home page, but let me down with the modern cars ... if it was just a couple of older cars, then it would have been album cover material

I like that matey, very nicely done imo. I don't think the cars detract from it at all, I think it's a nice blend of modern subject matter with a more vintage film look - works for me & yep, would look great as an album cover imo (y)

Thank you kindly Mike!

probably been said already, but it caught my eye on the home page, but let me down with the modern cars ... if it was just a couple of older cars, then it would have been album cover material

Thanks for looking Nick!

i like it, have you tried in B&W ?

Yes, didn't think it worked as well, but here it is for your consideration.

Going Solo BW LR.jpg

Back