Golden Hour

PS: “There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Fortunately there are certain rules for good photographs, and if this image had followed some of the compositional 'rules' then it would have far more impact.

As it is, you have some excellent light, and the FG boat anchors the composition very well.

But, as mentioned, it could do with a little more space around the boat, if it had been sitting across the bottom third it would have been better (one of the 'rules'), secondly a 50/50 split is rarely effective, the top half of the sky is not doing much, so I'd be tempted to crop a little giving a 60/40 split (another rule).

So , a 'nearly there' image for me, with a little more attention to compositional 'rules' then this would sing.

PP mastery at it's finest. I bet it will look stunning hanging.

Excellent serene shot!!

Would look good on a wall I reckon :)

Matt

Fortunately there are certain rules for good photographs, and if this image had followed some of the compositional 'rules' then it would have far more impact.

As it is, you have some excellent light, and the FG boat anchors the composition very well.

But, as mentioned, it could do with a little more space around the boat, if it had been sitting across the bottom third it would have been better (one of the 'rules'), secondly a 50/50 split is rarely effective, the top half of the sky is not doing much, so I'd be tempted to crop a little giving a 60/40 split (another rule).

So , a 'nearly there' image for me, with a little more attention to compositional 'rules' then this would sing.

There are NEVER rules, only guidelines to good photographs. To me rules seem to indicate that there is only a certain set of things needed for a photo to be good, some of the best photos are where the 'rules' are broken. But each to their own opinion i guess.

As for the crop of 50/50 it works well if there are reflections, often if there are reflections you can use a 50/50 crop with the horizon. Although actually this photo isnt quite 50/50 but that doesn't matter. Just saying one time you can often get away with 50/50 is with good reflections.

I would agree on a bit more space but despite that this is one of the top shots I have seen on TP this year (y)

There are NEVER rules, only guidelines to good photographs. To me rules seem to indicate that there is only a certain set of things needed for a photo to be good, some of the best photos are where the 'rules' are broken. But each to their own opinion i guess.

As for the crop of 50/50 it works well if there are reflections, often if there are reflections you can use a 50/50 crop with the horizon. Although actually this photo isnt quite 50/50 but that doesn't matter. Just saying one time you can often get away with 50/50 is with good reflections.

I would agree on a bit more space but despite that this is one of the top shots I have seen on TP this year (y)

I'm not for one minute saying it's a bad photograph, in fact it's quite good, it would have been that much better if he had given some consideration to compositional 'rules', and I don't disagree with you at all about breaking the rules, some of my most popular images have broken one rule or another, but they still sell.

But, and it's a big but, most times images are easier on the eye if the rules of composition are generally (but not slavishly) followed, and I notice most of your landscapes generally follow the 'rules' of composition.

But I'm quite comfortable agreeing to disagree with you :)

Last edited:
Back