Goldfinch - which crop please?....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Both crops seem to work and I unusually am having difficulty deciding which I prefer....

Goldfinch_t7800vnfxs.jpg

^ #1 : Original image, hardly cropped at all.

Goldfinch_t7800v1nfxs.jpg

^ #2 : Cropped to 5 x 4 format.

Both shot on Canon 100-400mm L II on 7D Mark II.

Which crop do you prefer, please?

All comments welcome - Thanks.

:)

Another one for pic 1. As previously said, the extra space helps display the beauty of the bird. Nice capture again Robin.

I like the second but i would lose the branch going to the left hand corner

....Thanks for commenting :)

I don't think that the branch spoils the picture so much to be worth my effort at removing it and I am not particularly good at cloning when the background colour variations and gradients as this image does.

First one I think because the extra space helps emphasise the elongated grace of the bird.
A beautiful bird given full justice by your shot.

....You have given me an idea! There is another image in the series where the Goldfinch's perched position shows off that "elongated grace" even more.

[Robin goes off to post-process that image]

Thanks!

Agree on the 1st Robin :)

No 1 for me too but there are serious issues with the bg. I can see loads of lines and swirls etc etc. Compression issues I think.

No 1 for me too but there are serious issues with the bg. I can see loads of lines and swirls etc etc. Compression issues I think.

....Hmm. Perhaps I need to go to Specsavers because I can't see what you are seeing. I couldn't see it on my Kestrel image either.

When you say "compression", what is that? What usually introduces compression issues, please?

Another vote for the first. I like that the bird is standing on the lichen/mossy stuff and not on the bare branch. It adds to it, for me. Given the background it may not be that hard to clone out the branch on the left and it would make for a 'cleaner' image. Give it a go. It might help improve your skills. If it really doesn't work, well you've still got a branch but it's not exactly ruining the image.

I like them both, but if I really had to choose I would pick the first.

Crop #1 is definitely the most popular and so I'm happy to keep #1 and bin #2.

Given the background it may not be that hard to clone out the branch on the left and it would make for a 'cleaner' image. Give it a go. It might help improve your skills. If it really doesn't work, well you've still got a branch but it's not exactly ruining the image.

....To clone or not to clone? - A sometimes contentious subject. Generally, I prefer my images to be as truthful as possible in content. Although I do clone if doing so really makes a very big improvement and which without cloning the shot would be ruined. An example being part of another bird on the edge of the frame and hence greatly distracting from a particularly good capture of the main bird subject.

As you say, the branch isn't exactly ruining the image. I take a lot of photos every week and would prefer to move on and improve my post-processing of other images even though I accept your advice that it might be good practice for cloning.

Your contribution and advice is much appreciated though :)

Definitely number 1 for me, but I wouldn't be cloning anything out, the branches as they are give balance to the picture.

the branches as they stand do not look too natural to me, the right to left branch looks as though it was originally a branch that grew south to north

the branches as they stand do not look too natural to me, the right to left branch looks as though it was originally a branch that grew south to north

....You are right, Bill - The branch setup isn't natural insofar as they are arranged in front of a hide in someone's garden. I must admit that I'm not that keen on setups like that and prefer to find more natural situations to photograph birds in. However, it's good to experience different photographic opportunities. I shan't be visiting there again.

No 1 for me too Robin, both have their merits but I prefer No 1

cracking shot by the way

Les

First one for me, great shot

Back