Golf Togs anywhere? Pleeeze help.....

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been cohearsed into covering a Golf event tomorrow. I know nothing about Golf and never photographed the subject.

I have been frantically reading up on do's and dont's and understand never to shoot when the golfer is preparing his shot. Never on a backswing etc, keep out of the way and turn off the focus confirmation bleep.

My brief is to shoot:
1). as each person is teeing off with the Ryder Cup sign behind them.
2). when they all get back to a certain point (can't remember where)
3). presentation shot of the winning team

I have spent 3 hours trawling 'tinternet looking for photo examples (and on here) and nothing worth mentioning.

Do I have to get the ball in the shot (in the air) when they are teeing off?:thinking:

How do I pose the winning team?:thinking:

You guys have always come up trumps when I get in a tizz about doing something new for the first time, so no pressure guys!!

Photo examples or links would be great. Thanks

Gillian - by the way, and before you all ask why I didn't say NO. I said no, no, no, to the job - but I am down there for 3 days and they know I take photos - Huh! they don't understand that there are pro togs out there for occasions like this. :bang::bang:

1). as each person is teeing off with the Ryder Cup sign behind them.

Do I have to get the ball in the shot (in the air) when they are teeing off?:thinking:

How do I pose the winning team?:thinking:

You guys have always come up trumps when I get in a tizz about doing something new for the first time, so no pressure guys!!

Photo examples or links would be great. Thanks

Congratulations.... a biggie! No expert but I think you've got the basics covered.

1. Photoshop is your friend

Ball in the air? See 1 above ;)

Wish I could help :(

Don't get too close! Them clubs swing at over 100mph!

70-200mm range should do nicely. The tees (bit of grass they stand on) are sometimes elevated and it could be tricky getting the right angle if you are not on the same level.

Shutter speed would be the main concern, do you want to freeze them or have a bit of blur going on?

I'd say the best moment to catch them would be at the top of the follow through just before they turn to see if they have smacked a ball through a greenhouse. There is a momentary pause just there.

Good luck!

I'm no professional, but i'd say you are somewhere near the mark with your comments above. Where the tee is built up it may be possible to get in front of the golfer with them firing over your head too.

These are a few i took at the practice day for the Open in 2006 ..

gallery_13_252_31887.jpg

gallery_13_252_30642.jpg

1st Tee..

gallery_13_252_126468.jpg

Looking at your kit list you might need to use the 70-200 on the 20d to get a bit more effective range for tee shots (dependent upon the orientation of the golfer to the Ryder Cup signage)

Thanks Guys. Our organisation is sponsoring the Ryder Cup, don't know how, why or when 'cause I don't know anything about Golf!! I have a feeling that after tomorrow, I will know an awful lot more though :eek:

Thanks for the advice Ali B. You have obviously done this before. Any ideas how to set the group up for the team shot and the presentation shot please? I can study stuff in my sleep you know - well it is the only time I have left.

Wow Percymon - they are great shots. I have in mind the RC sign will look like the Lorus one in your second shot.

I am starting to imagine me taking them now. Keep them coming guys. :clap: (y)

The best thing about golf courses is that they are not flat, there is plenty of mounds and hills to get different (and sometimes safer) vantage points. The presentation will more than likely be around the 18th Green. If you are 'official' tog then you should be on the front line for the presentation shots anyway.

Team shots, you gonna have to wing that. Maybe a shot of them sitting the top of a raised bunker with your vantage point from the low side? Good Luck!

Thanks MG TG 135.

18th Green? is it always a Green colour or could it be Red, or maybe Pink.........

.....Alright, alright - I am taking this seriously and I value your ideas and advice.

I'd say wait until they're at the top of the back swing and start shooting continuously until they're finished their swing. I would say you only want a little motion blur for effect although not sure what shutter speed you'll need. It would be worth seeing if you can get someone on the practice area / driving range that you can test some different settings on.

team shots are the easiest of the day - depending on how many are in a team the general idea is to line them up. if theres only a small amount (upto 4) then have them lined next to each other with hand behind the back, except one guy who will hold the cup (or have the cup (or trophy) on the floor). if there is more then 4 you can do one of two things,

1 - line them up in 2 rows with the back row standing on chairs or something to elevate them above the front row

or

2- line them up in one line and take a wide angle shot.

with all group shots try to have them in a small semi circle as this is more pleasing to the eye than straight on shots.

presentaions wise try to get them to look at you when they are shaking the official (who gives out the awards) hand, so both the golfer AND official are looking at you, also make sure the award is visible aswell.

if that method fails just get them standing infront of you holding the award.

hope that helps.

Thanks Cableliquid - great tips. I wouldn't have known about the hand behind the back tip. (y)

Missed this one but if you do another maybe try setting up a remote camera on the tee or lie prone with a wide angle lens like these, they are the only ones I can find for now but it will give the general idea.

0506_Spain_118.jpg

0506_Spain_108.jpg

If you get the chance to follow them round there are all sorts of possibilities:

0506_Spain_120.jpg

I would take a step ladder with me-lightweight. just incase you cant get level-or crowds.

Think about the golf ball as in thirds and go for continuous shoot and get a few frames each tee off-but use a long lens and be far enough away they cant hear the shutter. Then just experiment with shutter speed-some blur some frozen.

As far as winners at the end-there is only one winner of the ryder cup isnt there

How did you get on with this Gillian?

Geez, thanks guys for all your comments and especially Hacker for the photos, they were shot at quite unusual angles eh? Looks a warm country too.

The shoot went really well. It was cold and wet over Cardigan Bay and the last team to get back were out five and a half hours! By the time I got the presentation shot for longest drive, nearest the pin and the overall team winners, the light was going.

I listened to what you guys had to say and I managed to resist pressing the shutter until they hit the ball on the backswing. Although, a golfer in my office said I stood on the wrong side to take the shot. Damn know it all. I will post up a couple of pics tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Back