Beginner Gone from a Nikon D3300 to a Full Frame Nikon D600

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Made the purchase this evening

With my tamron lens’s i used for my d3300, would i need to do any setting change in the d600? Or just put on and enjoy?

Thanks

Hi guys

Made the purchase this evening

With my tamron lens’s i used for my d3300, would i need to do any setting change in the d600? Or just put on and enjoy?

Thanks
Hi

May help if you put what lens you have. If they are full frame compatible no change required.

Sorry, the lenses are 28-75mm f2.8 and 70-300mm f4 - 5.6 both tamron

Tamron SP 70-300mm f4 - 5.6 Di VC USD

Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di

Will i not got no effects of the FF phil? Not even the better iso performance etc? Cheers
??
You’ve bought a FF camera, it’s a ... FF camera, with all the advantages of a ... FF camera.

You asked about your lenses; you’re going to experience a dramatic difference in field of view. The 28-75 will have been a near std to mid tele, it’ll now be a wide to short tele.

What Phil means is that the D600 has a significantly wider field of view than the D3300 so your wider angle lens will "see" more of the scene and your telephoto will have less apparent reach. It's actually the D3300 that has been effectively vignetting by cutting off the edges of what the lens can see. Have a look on Google for Crop Factor.

There won't be any.

Pedant mode.

There will be some - all lenses vignette a little towards the edges (slightly). Using a lens designed for a 35mm format on an APSC will "crop" the darker (and softer) corners/edges out.

So the OP will discover if their lens's are softer in the edges and slightly darker (they will be) as opposed to previously enjoying almost uniform center to edge sharpness on their D300 etc etc using these lens's. This uniform center to edge sharpness is really important in landscapes etc.

Thanks for the input guys it makes sense to me now , i mainly switched because it has dual card slots, better iso low light performance, 36 focal points as opposed to 11 etc

@Damo88 - welcome to the world of the D600/610, both of which are really good cameras. I made the change from D300 to D600 and was amazed at the difference in image quality - I think you will have a similar experience :) I now have the D610, which is basically the same camera as the D600 but with a different shutter mechanism - see below. Your existing lenses will work just fine and should give you some stunning images - enjoy :)

Something to be aware of is that the D600 has a tendency to spit bits of dark material onto the sensor. Not all of them do it (and I hope yours doesn't) but quite a high percentage do and I was unlucky. It was the only complaint I had about the D600. There is a Nikon service recall for this problem and if you send it to them for cleaning often enough (mine went back 3 times in less than 3 months) they will eventually replace it with a nice shiny D610.

There is a D600/610 thread on here somewhere but we are a bit thin on the ground so it doesn't see as much traffic as some of the more popular bodies. That's as much my fault as anyone elses :(

@Damo88 - welcome to the world of the D600/610, both of which are really good cameras. I made the change from D300 to D600 and was amazed at the difference in image quality - I think you will have a similar experience :) I now have the D610, which is basically the same camera as the D600 but with a different shutter mechanism - see below. Your existing lenses will work just fine and should give you some stunning images - enjoy :)

Something to be aware of is that the D600 has a tendency to spit bits of dark material onto the sensor. Not all of them do it (and I hope yours doesn't) but quite a high percentage do and I was unlucky. It was the only complaint I had about the D600. There is a Nikon service recall for this problem and if you send it to them for cleaning often enough (mine went back 3 times in less than 3 months) they will eventually replace it with a nice shiny D610.

There is a D600/610 thread on here somewhere but we are a bit thin on the ground so it doesn't see as much traffic as some of the more popular bodies. That's as much my fault as anyone elses :(

Thank you for your reply, thats brill, did you have any issues with nikon and how long did they keep the camera for? If i did get issues is it an easy process to go through?

Thanks

What Phil means is that the D600 has a significantly wider field of view than the D3300 so your wider angle lens will "see" more of the scene and your telephoto will have less apparent reach. It's actually the D3300 that has been effectively vignetting by cutting off the edges of what the lens can see. Have a look on Google for Crop Factor.

Take a look at this lens simulator from Nikon https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/#FX
It won’t have the tamron lens but you can substitute a Nikon lens for the purpose of the exercise. Then change between the different bodies to show how the field of view is affected.
Enjoy

You'll also find that the depth of field for the same f number is reduced so you will need a higher f number to get near and far in focus. You can blurr backgrounds with low f numbers easier. Also you can get away with higher f numbers before diffraction starts to blur the entire image (f/12 rather than f/8).

Diffraction is about the size of the hole that the light passes through but the crop factor will affect this as if you're using f8 with two different focal length lenses (to give the same field of view on different camera formats) the size of the physical aperture will be different. f8 with a 35mm lens on a smaller format being a smaller hole than f8 with a 50mm lens on a larger format.

Thank you for your reply, thats brill, did you have any issues with nikon and how long did they keep the camera for? If i did get issues is it an easy process to go through?

Thanks

Actually Nikon Service are quite geared up to dealing with the D600 problem and you can book the service work on their web site. They will collect the camera from you, do the clean and deliver it back again all free of charge. With mine, I was without it for about 10 days for both the first and second times but for the third time I had to wait 2 weeks for them to send the replacement. I got to know a couple of their agents quite well as they would call to give me an update on progress almost every other day.

Hopefully though, you won't have the problem :)

Actually Nikon Service are quite geared up to dealing with the D600 problem and you can book the service work on their web site. They will collect the camera from you, do the clean and deliver it back again all free of charge. With mine, I was without it for about 10 days for both the first and second times but for the third time I had to wait 2 weeks for them to send the replacement. I got to know a couple of their agents quite well as they would call to give me an update on progress almost every other day.

Hopefully though, you won't have the problem :)

Brill :)

the chap said it had been to Nikon due to this issue previously however since having it back the issue hasn't returned. ive taken plenty of images with it the other day with no issues of the common problem, ive just sent Nikon an email to see if I can give them the serial number of the camera to see if it has been back and what was done.

the camera has 21k shutter counts, its a fabulous camera im in love with it :), I know I cant compare my D3300 to it but boy its bloody good.

Brill :)

the chap said it had been to Nikon due to this issue previously however since having it back the issue hasn't returned. ive taken plenty of images with it the other day with no issues of the common problem, ive just sent Nikon an email to see if I can give them the serial number of the camera to see if it has been back and what was done.

the camera has 21k shutter counts, its a fabulous camera im in love with it :), I know I cant compare my D3300 to it but boy its bloody good.

Supposedly, the problem (mainly) only affected the first 1500 shutter actuations, though it did seem to affect some cameras a bit more than that, and some bodies were not affected.
Personally, I never had an issue with mine

I made the change from D300 to D600 and was amazed at the difference in image quality
Which isn't just a function of sensor size - those models were introduced I think about 5 yrs apart, and the technology had marched on. The main benefit wasn't that the mpx count had expanded, but rather that when setting your exposure with the later camera, you could protect your highlights whilst being able in processing to pull stuff back from the shadow end if needed without so much of a noise hit.

Supposedly, the problem (mainly) only affected the first 1500 shutter actuations, though it did seem to affect some cameras a bit more than that, and some bodies were not affected.
Personally, I never had an issue with mine

That is great to know, for some reason it seems to achieve more background blurr easyier, everything about it just seems better

That is great to know, for some reason As expected it seems to achieve more background blurr easyier, everything about it just seems better
Surely you knew this before you bought it?

Back