Gone from Apple to Samsung ?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
I realise that this could be controversial so no Apple v Android arguments please !

Just interested to hear from any Apple fans who have changed to the Samsung S8 ?

I've got a 6s Plus at the moment and would say I am an Apple fan but the Sansung S8 is a very pretty thing and it gets great reviews.

So has anyone who considers themselves an Apple fan bought an S8 ? If so was it a success or did you regret it ?

I also have an Ipad and an iMac which I will not be changing...

thanks

My daughter upgraded her then current iphone to a samsung S6 after falling in love with mine, she now has the S8 and
wouldn't go back to apple

Oh Dear, don`t do it, or find something soft to throw it against before asking for a refund.

I went to android for two weeks, missed apple and its connectivity to my macbook - just the simple layout. The iPhone just works, and works well.

Android has more features, generally features that people use for two weeks and then go back to using it like any other phone, browsing, text, whatsapp, apps, email etc.

Thats my feeling anyway.

Oh Dear, don`t do it, or find something soft to throw it against before asking for a refund.

That's not unique to Samsung, that's inherent with all phones with minimal bezels, iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi Mix etc... and a colleague has had an S8 from day 1 and it's still immaculate.

On another note, would you not be losing features by not having an iPhone when you have an iPad and iMac, such as handoff (that I've never seen work ). Just curious, I thought the main benefit was when everything's in the same camp so to speak?

I did it. Not the current models but a couple of years ago.
It felt so liberating. I could never get my head round the Apple "control" ethos. Didn't find any difficulties in getting to grips with the Android system. I found that various apps etc were as available and usable as on the iPhone.

Just feels more natural and that I am in charge of my phone, not some American geeks from Silicon Valley.

That's not unique to Samsung, that's inherent with all phones with minimal bezels, iPhone X, Xiaomi Mi Mix etc... and a colleague has had an S8 from day 1 and it's still immaculate.

On another note, would you not be losing features by not having an iPhone when you have an iPad and iMac, such as handoff (that I've never seen work ). Just curious, I thought the main benefit was when everything's in the same camp so to speak?

Yeah handoff is good and iMessage, notes, FaceTime, photos, music - all links up easily and automatically

I just went from IPhone 6 to a £160 Maze Alpha, a random Chinese made android phone from the far East.

6" screen full HD
6G ram
64G storage (expandable)

Apart from not having NFC and iMessage I'm not missing the iPhone at all. Phones are so cheap these days and I've totally turned and against the idea of spending close to £1k on something that can be done just as well for under £200. If you like the ecosystem of iOS, sync via Gmail for calendar and contacts, use Google drive for storage instead of iCloud to ease the transition, that's what I am doing.

I have been using android for 24 hours now and don't miss my iPhone 1 bit.

went from a 5s to a OnePlus device and not looked back. iOS feels so backward now (appreciate if you use something for long enough anything else feels foreign).

cheaper but equally as good if not better handsets, customisable OS. not restricted to the apple ecosystem way of working etc etc.

I wrote this for another forum.

So after 1 day of Android use I am not only not hating it…I’m actually like it, I thought it would take much longer. One thing I thought I would hate is having used to the bubble of IOS and the uniformity of the skin, I thought it would be daunting to have this open style OS, however it feels like a breath of fresh air that I can change stuff around as I see fit. In one way I have no clue what a lot of the settings do but so far it seems fun just trying it. Once the usual suspects of emails, contacts, Facebook and Instagram are all logged in, it felt like home again.

It did take a few hours of setting it up, mostly remembering passwords and resetting a few that I forgot and I am not even done yet. Google account took care of the contacts and emails and calendar syncing so the only thing I would say I am missing is iMessage with other iPhone users. That will just be on my Mac from now on. Most apps looks the same but some are less intuitive. I also need to get used to what everything looks like, like getting a text message is a different colour than what I am used to so at a glance I don’t know that is a text compare to a regular notification.

The biggest thing I am having to pinch myself with is how much of a phone I am getting for my money. Sure I don’t have wireless charging or water resistance but neither does my iPhone 6.

Not everything is amazing however. The sim tray feels cheaply made, the vibrate is not that strong and having self facing camera at the bottom really is not the best place for it although I never use it. The metal edges is EASILY scratched, in fact I have somehow done it already and its only ever been on wood and fabric surfaces. Then again, it’s a £150 device, not £1,150. I have spent up to £80 previously on iPhone/iPad cases so I think I might use this phone case-less, or put some duct tape for grip! Also today the phone just rebooted itself randomly. I had put it down on the table whilst I was eating and then all of the sudden I saw the boot up logo, strange, even more strange is I was not doing anything and for hours and hours yesterday installing dozens it did not crash once.

After all that, I still have the Elephone S8 on order that is due in 3 weeks and that’s supposed to be a better phone than this so I am totally sold on the Android and cheap Chinese phone idea. I might even cancel that and put my money towards an Essential Phone or something.

Very hard to beat a galaxy s7 as an all rounder when buying used. The 'Chinese' phones seem like great value but they all fall short in various areas unless you spend more money which brings you into mint used LG/Samsung territory. IOS can't keep up with android features these days unless you want simplicity. I use both at work and home.

Last edited:
I didn't go full £400+ was because i didn't know how i will like Android, best to just have the Chinese phone as back up sitting in the drawer having spent £150 than £400.

Plus, bezel less just look damn cool, even if its just 3 sides.

UVyM8D2.jpg

I'm probably the biggest phone 'tart' here. In 1 year, I've had the Sony Z5 Compact, an iPhone SE, a Samsung A3, an LG G6 which I'm currently selling, and now an iPhone 7. Have to say, I do find android liberating with what you can do with the platform compared to the limitations of the iOS platform, however when it comes to everyday use - I have to say I find iOS more intuitive to use, it just works and the home screen and layout in my opinion is more polished. Don't get me wrong, you get much nicer displays which until now Apple have been behind with the use of old tech. One thing to watch out for - I found that Samsung have 'clever' cleanup software which can end up deleting your media (automatically in the background) if you store it in customised folders (other than the standard Pictures, Videos etc), watch out!! I lost quite a lot of data on my S5 because of this. Not sure if they've since stopped this from happening.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain this 'Apple control ethos' ?

I don't understand why people feel liberated using Andriod ?

I also wonder that. I don’t feel in anyway hindered in what I do. I have an iPhone 7Plus and OnePlus 3t and don’t ever wish the iPhone was more like the Android phone.

On a separate note, I have in front of me an iPhone 8 in space grey and an iPhone 8Plus in gold. Nice phones but I’m not tempted to buy one.

I switched as I'm on o2 and they charged £5 extra to have an iphone - from the old days... Plus I really couldn't get on with iTunes (I know you don't need it).
On android, I have an app that links to the diagnostics on my car (not available on iphone), a few others that are android only (eg kodi) and all my usual apps I had on iphone. Add to that I have a removeable back, can swap batteries quickly if flat (smaller and lighter than carrying a battery based charger around).

I don't get the ipod connection to my car, but do get bluetooth, and my car reads out messages received.

Ive gone from a iPhone 7 to a Galaxy S8, it was supposed to be a iPhone 7+ but something went wrong along the way.

Its not my first android phone, I've had cheapie ones and top of the range ones but so far I always go back to iOS. I think its more intuitive and works pretty well. Saying that the current android on the S8 is probably the best so far. The extras you get with android, I don't believe are all that great to be fair, I could pretty much do everything I wanted on my iphone, recent updates to iOS are nowhere near as restrictive as earlier versions even then I used to jailbreak, but wouldn't dream of doing it now. I do feel apple are now playing catch up with android and android phones though, as can be seen by the edge screen on the new iPhone.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Last edited:
I went from apple to android after the apple 3g and didn't really notice much difference apps are apps and the apple IOS is just the same but a bit more polished in places.
I would happily go back to apple but some things have become critical for me, removable battery, micro sd card slot and so for me its allways going to be android/Samsung.

and also the price, both my last 2 phones have been a note 2 purchased on here for £110 2 years old and my current note 4 purchased for £150 2 years old. apple are just way to expensive for me.

Last edited:
My Nokia 1020 packed up last week, i'm now waiting for the arrival of the S8. My question is, will I notice a difference between the two? :exit:

I went from iPhone 4s to Samsung S5 and now on the Huawei P10....would never go back to iPhone, horrible to use.
The Huawei has a lovely camera too.

Do you know what has been the biggest breath of fresh air of sort in the last day since changing to Android? The fact that if I want to change the phone, instead of "wait to see what Apple brings out next year", now I can look at what everyone in the world can offer. I really have the choice of a lot more phones and they all run the same thing, from different sizes, different memory storage, different prices. If you don't care for the camera, you can save your money and get something cheaper, if you want something with a HUGE screen you can.

This is not even to do about the OS of the phone itself or their prices, just simply choices.

The downside is that it might be a slippery slope because i change my iPhone in the past every 4 years, mainly because I see every new iPhone release and think….that's the same as mine practically every year until the gap is too much. Now with Android because they adopt tech a lot faster than Apple, I can see myself changing phone more frequently. The handset themselves might be cheaper (£300 for a very good phone), if I am changing every year I might as well get an iPhone X ! lol

We shall see.

I went from an iPhone 5S to a Galaxy Note4 - after the novelty wore off, I could't wait to get rid of it.

I've had an iPhone 7 for the past year.

Android just didn't do it for me - I just couldn't get on with it, and maybe I was deliberately looking for flaws in the OS - but it wasn't an iPhone/iOS device.

Happy to be a "sheep" again. Don't think I'd switch over to 'Droid again.

(I realise this isn't an S8 - but as a fellow Apple fan, just thought I'd share my experience.)

Last edited:
Back