Good black and white printer.

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
In the past, we've had a variety of home printers and have always gone full colour. But, to be honest, they've all been poor.

Now, our current printer gets used so infrequently, that the colour inks are normally clogged.

So we never print anything in colour.

more often than not, it's parcel labels.

So I was wondering if anyone has an inexpensive (ish) B&W printer they'd recommend.

In the past, I insisted that it could print on CDs, but now the only thing for me are that it can also scan.

I was looking at laser printers, but really don't know where to start.

If I was in the market for a general usage mono laser printer with scanner I would be looking the likes of this one.

AFAIK you will not find a laser that can print directly onto CDs

Sorry to state the obvious but inkjet printers need, at the very least, to print a nozzle check page every couple of weeks at most to ensure the nozzles are kept working.

PS I have this old mono laser

Has been in use for >12 years, cost IIRC was £89 and to date has printed in excess of 40,000 pages. I now use third party toner carts which are 'recognised' by the printer.

Last edited:
For a4 the Epson ecotank 8550 or a3 the eco tank 8500
They are the wrong way round the A3+ one is the ET-8550 ;)

I have that model and it is IMO a very good general printer and a nice photo printer.

It gets some use almost every day......not always photos. Plus, very frugal and budget worth with the tank technology. A full set of inks last cost me around £90 and I have yet to start on those bottles .....but soon as the tank levels are dropping:)

Last edited:
AFAIK you will not find a laser that can print directly onto CDs

Thanks for the links.

Not sure if I didn't really make myself clear. I was saying I no longer had any specific requirements other than the ability to scan.

In the past, my insistence of specific features narrowed down my choice a lot. But I used to use CDs and DVDs as storage before SSDs were an option (shows how old my printer is).

Thanks for the links.

Not sure if I didn't really make myself clear. I was saying I no longer had any specific requirements other than the ability to scan.

In the past, my insistence of specific features narrowed down my choice a lot. But I used to use CDs and DVDs as storage before SSDs were an option (shows how old my printer is).
Ah! I see.......you and me both old school, I used to use CD & later DVD as storage media but never printed on them or on the labels available, though I did try the labels but never got on with them......a Sharpie pen has always served me well.

I stick with my thoughts above re: laser printers :)

We bought a Brother laser printer a few years ago that looked like that.

Paper jams occurred after the warranty period.

It's still in the loft as I couldn't fix it.

Just a word of caution.
That does not sound good....... Brother, I thought, had a good reputation & reviews.

PS when my HP gets unusable I will need one that can handle a minimum of 250gsm card......last time I searched it was like hens teeth without spending high!

One issue that I now avoid is buying third party printer ink, last time I did it clogged up the old printer. The only thing I have had to do to this Epson XP-950 printer I use now is to replace the ink waste pad once that is underneath. Not bad for a printer I bought way back in 2013

Last edited:
That does not sound good....... Brother, I thought, had a good reputation & reviews.

PS when my HP gets unusable I will need one that can handle a minimum of 250gsm card......last time I searched it was like hens teeth without spending high!
Especially as I recommended my missus getting it (I used to work on the original Brother HL8e in the 90's - small intermediate cog and a fuser and good for another 200k prints)

I have had a Brother HL-2350W wireless laser printer for about 3 years now and I have been very happy with the switch. The only thing I didn't like was that it required switching it to ejecting envelopes out the back or it would crease them, and that is fussier than it should be; but I have a new box of envelopes that feed through normally just fine.

I'd definately go for a laser printer. I've had a brother before and I bought one for my parents. They seem to work well and toner is not stupidly expensive.

In my office I have a HP colour laser that's been ticking over for 12 years now. Never skipped a beat and run on cheap compatible toner cartridges.

Mrs Nod's old Samsung LASER printer is still going strong 10 or so years later and seems happy with the cheap (compared to genuine ones, anyway!) refills. No scanner on hers but I'd guess there's one with one out there!
I'd definitely be looking at LASER rather than inkjet for just text printing - far cheaper and less liable to clogs. Never had a paper jam with the Samsung.

I have a Brother, can't remember the model as it's in another room. Had it for about 7 years with no problems. Now run it on 3rd party inks, again no issues.

And I second the recoomendation for Epson Ecotanks. I have had the ET2756 for about 3 years and the tanks are still half-full, despite regular colour printing.

Last edited:
Back