Good camera for kids?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
My five year old daughter is getting into photography and is growing out of her kids camera.

Can anyone recommend a decent camera for kids that will survive a few knocks/drops?

I don't mind off it doesn't have a zoom and the simpler it is to operate the better.

The budget would probably be in the region of just over £100...second-hand cameras would be fine as well.

i bough my son who was 8 at the time a fuji finepix xp70 which seem quite hardy
the picture quality isn't that bad all things considered but it's not that great either, that didn't bother me too much i was more interested in how he would treat the camera rather than if he could produce great photographs. i would reccomend having a second battery they don't seem to last that long in the hands of a child ( well not in the hands of my child anyway )

the reason i chose this one is because it wasn't that expensive it's water proof , dust proof and reasonably strong and it doesn't have a protruding lens which i think would be the first thing to get damaged

he used it at RIAT at the weekend most of the shots were what i expected but one ore two were keepers

i'l see how he gets on with this camera before i let him loose with a dslr

Last edited:
I actually got mine a crop DSLR and a kit lens - this taught them respect for the equipment because as far as they knew it was big and expensive.

If I did it again, I might well have gone for a MFT, such as the E-M10 as everything is scaled down and its nice and visual having the EVF, but of course you know your daughter and how interested she is and how careful/clumsy :)

Funnily enough my five year old lad is still into has camera and will drag it out whenever I take mine, but my daughter whos now nine (I got her one when she was five too, that has since been upgraded when I change over to Nikon) has grown out of trying to impress me with a camera and is just as happy if not more so with her phone.

Even now though if I get a new bit of kit they come rushing over to see - and were very impressed with the Fuji X-T1 - I heard them commenting on how pretty it was :D

Last edited:
Back