Good compact camera for £200

S

stupar

Mrs Stupar is coming into some bonus money next month so she is giving me done to play with.
Some im going to usr to finish off my computer build and the rest (approx £200) i would like to put towards a compact camera.
Looking for your recommendations and happy to go 2nd hand to get the best bang for buck.
Ta in advance

Hang on,you sneaked that one in didnt you ? ;)
Oh do keep up :p

Yes, I needed a pocket camera and the Fuji X70 just didn't cut it for me, mainly due to the lack of viewfinder. However this Sony is so good it might replace my Fuji kit for the Australia trip in November.

Oh do keep up :p

Yes, I needed a pocket camera and the Fuji X70 just didn't cut it for me, mainly due to the lack of viewfinder. However this Sony is so good it might replace my Fuji kit for the Australia trip in November.
lol just remind me what your fuji kit is these days

I was thinking of a used Oly E-M10 & pancake zoom - it's fractionally larger than my wife's Panny TZ10 and has a viewfinder & changeable lenses (and MUCH better image quality). The Sony can do very nice images though.

lol just remind me what your fuji kit is these days
X-Pro1,2, T2, 6 Fuji lenses, a Samyang, and an indeterminate number of legacy lenses. If I took Fuji to Oz it would be T2, 10-24, and 18-55. Probably.

Conflicting information about the place. What is the focal length range on the Sony please? I need a bit of reach, so 100mm equivalent just won't cut it, I need at least double that.

Granted over budget but the spec of the new lumix TZ-90 IMO has a lot of appeal.

Conflicting information about the place. What is the focal length range on the Sony please? I need a bit of reach, so 100mm equivalent just won't cut it, I need at least double that.
The Sony RX100 mk3 is 24-70 equivalent. I believe it's different on the mk1 but probably not long enough for you.

Refurb Fuji X30? very slightly over the £200 (£210) and currently out of stock. Rumour has it that some e-bayers buy Fuji refurb stock as soon as it gets released and flog it on at a profit so you might need to be quick and lucky!

Refurb Fuji X30? very slightly over the £200 (£210) and currently out of stock. Rumour has it that some e-bayers buy Fuji refurb stock as soon as it gets released and flog it on at a profit so you might need to be quick and lucky!

Yes there were 7 silver X30 there the other day. A few hours later out of stock.

I was thinking of a used Oly E-M10 & pancake zoom - it's fractionally larger than my wife's Panny TZ10 and has a viewfinder & changeable lenses (and MUCH better image quality). The Sony can do very nice images though.
the sony is great but the oly and pancake has much higher iq as you say. ive had both and still have the oly combo

At the end of the day there's really no bad camera. You need one you can get on with so best if you could handle a few, if you've a local dealer.

Thanks for the suggestions i will look into them all.
Ive used various compact cameras over the years - Olympus EPL1, Fuji XM1 & XT1 and Panasonic LX3 to name a few and all have been good to use and fairly easy too.

I do like the fujis but my experience with Olympus was equally good.

The only one i havent used is the Sony so i may need to find myself a wee shot of one of them.

Thanks for the suggestions i will look into them all.
Ive used various compact cameras over the years - Olympus EPL1, Fuji XM1 & XT1 and Panasonic LX3 to name a few and all have been good to use and fairly easy too.

I do like the fujis but my experience with Olympus was equally good.

The only one i havent used is the Sony so i may need to find myself a wee shot of one of them.
the big thing with the sony is it is tiny, fits in almost any pocket.

The Sony RX100 MkI has the following zoom: 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 equiv.

From the MkII onwards the zoom range is 24-70mm equiv.

It's a great camera and I only upgraded it because I really wanted to have an EVF.

The Mk 2 has a 28-100 zoom.

Last edited:
Back