Good compact for snorkling?

Name
Edit My Images
No
I was looking for a new compact to replace my trusty but aging Fuji Z33WP

I had a look at the newer model , the XP 100 but customer reviews seem to think that the seals are a bit dodgy.

Just wondering what people think would be a good one? Something that shoots raw would be nice but not a show stopper.

(y) Glad that you have asked this as I was going to ask....

I did do a google search for the best underwater/waterproof compact & it came up with 5 cameras... Only thing was that I forgot to jot them down :bang:

So I'm interested on the suggestions that folks have....

The Olympus "waterproof" compact I had wasn't! The Canon D10 I have now is (so far) and gives better images than the Oly ever managed (then again, a couple of years R&D will do that!). The Canon's also easier to use underwater than the Oly was. At snorkelling depths, the blue cast is easily overcome by the in camera WB, either Auto or the underwater preset when using JPEGs.

Before the holiday, make sure the battery is fully charged and there's a decent sized card in the slot, that way you'll hopefully avoid opening the door which introduces a risk of seal contamination and leaks... Follow the rinse instructions to the letter. May be worth buying from Jessops and taking out an all risk warranty/insurance deal, just in case!

We had the Canon D20 for snorkelling in the Maldives - worked looked like a dream. After about 4 hours in the water, opened the battery compartment and there was some moisture (not enough to even form a drip), but for for normal 30-60 minute sessions it was well sealed.
Very easy to use under-water, secure wrist strap, HD movie, 4x zoom.

Underwater mode removed all the the blue-hues - Underwater compacts shooting RAW came up recently in a similar thread and the general consensus was that currently none of them offer this.

Paul, doesn't sound good. My D10 stays bone dry even after a few hours' dip. It's possible that your moisture was condensation - warm & wet when the door was open, followed by a cool dip? A day or 2 in a warm, dry spot with a silica gel sachet in the battery compartment should cure any condensation problem and will also help dry out any leaked moisture.

Surely a snorkel would be more apt for snorkeling than a camera?
I think you'll find it's a bit of a tall order trying to suck in air and expel it via a camera, no?

If it's just snorkelling then you don't need to worry too much about raw since the blue-cast isn't too pronounced at shallow depths, it'll certainly be within the abilities of jpeg adjustments. The case can be a bit cheaper too since the pressure isn't very great - you could even consider one of the waterproof bags (which are surprisingly good!)

A lot of compacts have a branded underwater case available, or people like Ikelite are some of the best third-party brands (capable of deep diving).

In terms of camera, the Canon G series were always popular amongst divers, as were some of the Fujis, but these days I'd just go with whatever camera suits you!

Back