Beginner Good equipment for a novice

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Wondering what a good relatively inexpensive starting camera would be? I want to buy one for my girlfriend for christmas, she like taking pics with her phone and I'd like to get her something better. I'd like to be under $400 if possible. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to TP

A wonderful and thoughtful gift......

So just a few questions that might help 'inform' any insight & suggestions from other TPer's ?

Firstly as it seems you are in the USA, please bear in mind that within a manufacturer range, model numbers can vary between your side of the pond and the UK/Europe.

What subjects does she like to photograph and/or want to photograph?

Are you thinking of a pocket sized point & shoot camera or one that has interchangeable lenses and would not fit in a pocket?

Are you hoping to buy new or would secondhand be acceptable to you and her?

I hope you can see that with such an open ended question more info is needed. And indeed...... there in some ways no single answer.

Edit ~ sorry if I state the obvious. Unlike the cameras on the phone, unless can get a higher spec camera with perhaps a larger rear screen (note ~ no camera has a screen as large as those fitted on [all?] smartphones). It will require some way of sharing the pictures i.e. transfer to computer for showing on the monitor and/or emailing....!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

A wonderful and thoughtful gift......

So just a few questions that might help 'inform' any insight & suggestions from other TPer's ?

Firstly as it seems you are in the USA, please bear in mind that within a manufacturer range, model numbers can vary between your side of the pond and the UK/Europe.

What subjects does she like to photograph and/or want to photograph?

Are you thinking of a pocket sized point & shoot camera or one that has interchangeable lenses and would not fit in a pocket?

Are you hoping to buy new or would secondhand be acceptable to you and her?

I hope you can see that with such an open ended question more info is needed. And indeed...... there in some ways no single answer.

Edit ~ sorry if I state the obvious. Unlike the cameras on the phone, unless can get a higher spec camera with perhaps a larger rear screen (note ~ no camera has a screen as large as those fitted on [all?] smartphones). It will require some way of sharing the pictures i.e. transfer to computer for showing on the monitor and/or emailing....!
She mostly shoots nature pics. flowers trees the sky and such forth. Im thinking just a point and shoot type right now, doesnt have to be pocket sized could be bigger. Prefer a new unit.

I know you said you'd prefer new but if you are willing to buy kit used you could maybe look at a 1" sensor compact. These are compact cameras which have auto modes and also have semi auto and manual modes so there is room to move to more control should she wish to. I have a Panasonic TZ100 which should be within budget if looking at a used one. It has a 1" sensor and a 25-250mm zoom lens which fills the frame best for close up subjects at about 90mm. Sony do 1" sensor cameras too, the RX100 range and a used one should also be in budget. These 1" sensor cameras give better image quality than ordinary compacts with smaller sensors.

If looking at new kit I'm not sure what would fit the budget, maybe an entry level DSLR and kit zoom could be in budget but I really don't know but if it is this would be much larger than a 1" sensor compact.

Last edited:
Back