good free processing apps for pc

Affinity, although I have it, I'm pretty much fixed on PS, however I've never seen or heard anything bad about Affinity, only good.

I played with Affinity for a couple of months when trying to break away from Adobe’s subscription model. Pretty comprehensive and good as a pixel level editor BUT I was unimpressed with it as a raw processor. Dark Table and Raw Therapee are pretty good raw processors (IMHO) and are free. You can process the raw files and transfer to Affinity easily for pixel level editing in a similar way to using Lightroom and Photoshop.

In the end, however, I swallowed my pride and went with Adobe CC. Excellent DAM and comprehensive processing capabilities

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on what you call paying a fortune.I pay £ 10 a month for lightroom and photoshop which is about 3 cups of coffee a month.
The software that comes with your camera is usually ok to start with

I find FastStone does pretty much everything I want though I will switch to Microsoft ICE for panoramic stitching. Both are free and sadly windows only,

I'd like to run them on my Pi rather than get the ancient laptop out.

Last edited:
You said “without paying a fortune”.

If it really HAS to be free then, I guess, the only real option is Gimp

I suppose it depends on what you call paying a fortune.I pay £ 10 a month for lightroom and photoshop which is about 3 cups of coffee a month.
The software that comes with your camera is usually ok to start with
Look out for Amazon discounts on their 1yr packs of the LR Photography bundle - these happen a few times each year, and they discount from £120 down to £70/£80. You get an activation code which you then enter on your Account page on the Adobe site, and it gives you 12 months credit - while in credit, no monthly fee is taken. You then buy another discount pack before the first runs out to extend your credit by a further 12 months, and so never have to pay the full price again.
You can use the savings to buy a cup of coffee each month :)

latest version of your camera manufacture's software.
Darktable
Digikam
rawtherapee
GIMP

I use Digikam as a DAM and have used Rawtherapee in the past.

Gimp

Some people don't like it, but I really don't understand why, but that may be because I've mostly only ever used Gimp. I did use photoshop when I was in college, but that was over 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Affinity, although I have it, I'm pretty much fixed on PS, however I've never seen or heard anything bad about Affinity, only good.
I'm not sure affinity is free any more.
When I opened it yesterday it asked if I wanted to continue the trial or buy a license?

RawTherapee and Gimp

I use Affinity, but on very rare occasions use RawTherapee first.

I have not used Gimp for about a year now, though it was my preference for years

DigiKam is a great free DAM and can be paired with Darktable for a complete no cost solution. If you are prepared to pay something then I recommend Affinity Photo. A very usable strong photo editor, but without any managment of your images.

You can download Canons software for free if you have one of their cameras.
Even if you don't own one, just look on the internet for an image of a camera that shows the serial number :)
Though I don't see the point if you don't have one, but it is sometimes easier than than fetching the camera to read the serial number.

Back