Good laptop replacement for macbook pro

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I bought a macbook pro a month ago. Nice looks good and worked well. I say worked already broken and apple are refusing to replace it and will only fix it!!! I wouldn't be to bothered but i go away next wednesday for a month which is what i bought it for. And they don't think it will be fixe din time.
I am not pleased to say the elast so am thinking of returning it and buying a different laptop.
Any suggestions?
The pro is 13inch new one.
Thanks,
Luke

Maybe one that isn't a Fisher-Price Laptop (i.e. apple).

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!!

In all seriousness though, that's shoddy customer service. I have a cheapo aldi special from medion but it's brilliant and the customer service is immense, I once dropped it and broke the backlight in the screen, then punched it in anger and broke the hard-drive. Sent it off and came back just over a week later fully fixed :).

BTW - I control my anger much better normally.

Would it be an option to take it to a local repair shop or would that void the warranty?

I'm currently using a sony vaio cr42s, you can pick them up cheap(ish enough) and they perform well (proven by the fact that I use my laptop for uni work, photography and when I'm out and about DJing!

worth a look maybe?

I find that odd from apple their customer service is normally brilliant. Id book an appointment at a genius bar in a retail shop and speak to someone.

Mac or PC?

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525, which I bought last year - their basic model, but beefed up to the max with 4gb RAM. I also downgraded the OS to Windows XP, which does everything I need, is stable and doesn't gobble RAM like Vista does.

Under £500, no hardware/software problems (touch wood!), and it runs Photoshop CS4 great :)

Most important thing in a computer IMO is memory, and lots of it. Once you start using the page file, it doesn't matter how fast the CPU is, performance will take a massive hit.

A.

I find that odd from apple their customer service is normally brilliant. Id book an appointment at a genius bar in a retail shop and speak to someone.

I would second that the times i have had to speak to apple store in west quay southampton i would say they have been outstanding , my sons mains lead broke after 18 months old they just replaced it without even asking for a receipt

the apple service provider near me cannot guarantee fixing it by next wednesday.

not really the same as it not being able to be fixed?

what is the actual error?

Seeing how you're getting your MBP back eventually, why don't you just get a netbook for the trip? Depends of course what you want it for, if it's to view and store images it should be fine, nothing for editing or post-processing though I fear.

For cheap there's also the possibilty to get one of those used IBM Thinkpads. Those are indestructible (well...) and you can get a T41 for something like £250 I think. Plus if it falls in a pond or whatever on the trip, it's not such a biggie.

Michael

If the hard drive failure diagnosis is correct replacing it is a very simple job. From the limited information posted here something doesn't ring true. Why can't the AASP repair it before next Wednesday?

Apple expects their service providers to start evaluating and unless very intermittent, diagnose repairs within 24 hours of receiving the faulty equipment. Spares ship to the AASP overnight and should be fitted within 2 days. I work for an AASP at Kings Langley, not to far from St. Albans. We inspect all repairs the same day they arrive, and if spares are ordered typically before 2 - 3pm, they arrive the following morning. We then fit the same day they arrive. Compare this excellent service with a warranty Toshiba laptop repair belonging to a work colleagues daughter, that took 3 weeks and lots of phone calls to get it back.

Luke, can you explain what your Macbook Pro's fault symptoms are, who diagnosed the fault and why your local AASP can't turn around the repair quickly?

If the hard drive failure diagnosis is correct replacing it is a very simple job. From the limited information posted here something doesn't ring true. Why can't the AASP repair it before next Wednesday?

Apple expects their service providers to start evaluating and unless very intermittent, diagnose repairs within 24 hours of receiving the faulty equipment. Spares ship to the AASP overnight and should be fitted within 2 days. I work for an AASP at Kings Langley, not to far from St. Albans. We inspect all repairs the same day they arrive, and if spares are ordered typically before 2 - 3pm, they arrive the following morning. We then fit the same day they arrive. Compare this excellent service with a warranty Toshiba laptop repair belonging to a work colleagues daughter, that took 3 weeks and lots of phone calls to get it back.

Luke, can you explain what your Macbook Pro's fault symptoms are, who diagnosed the fault and why your local AASP can't turn around the repair quickly?
Steve apple only told me about one in watford that has a big backlog and one in hemel that when i phoned 1stly didn't know if they were a AASP, then wernt sure if they could fix it in time. If you're shop can fix it buy wednesday i'll bring it to you. Thanks, luke

They normally do hard drive replacements whilst you wait if you can leave them with it for an hour if it is a Apple store rather than a reseller.

It really is a 20 minute job if you know what you are doing.

Back