Good magazine for film?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know of a decent mag that has more than a passing reference to film photography? I like BJP as a general mag, but most magazines are very much focused on digital.

Sadly its very unlikely that you will find a magazine that focuses on film mostly - I read Amateur Photographer every week and although there are numerous references to film most weeks, theres very little actual practical advice or features on film - ,unfortunately I suspect that a magazine directed mainly toward film would not sell too well as the consumer base would probably be too small to be profitable.

They do sometimes do articles on film though in AP, in a few weeks their reviewing Portra 160 and there are references to film techniques (but mostly how they can be replicated in digital) as well as articles on classic cameras which are always film.

Try getting some older issues of magazines from around 15 years ago, then practically everything will be directed toward film.

Black and white photography used to be ok for film but that seems to be going the same way as all the other magazines unfortunately.

I had the same thought last week. I'm sat here looking at half-a-dozen film cameras from rangefinders to slrs: looked at a magazine stand today and thought, "know what?" that's all the same ol same old advice for digital beginners recycled over and over. One month it's all low light, the next month it's glamour.

And before anyone asks, I draw the line at scanning my negs. I AM NOT going into chemistry and red lightbulbs!!!

+1 for La Negatif, also Magnachrom (sadly defunct, but the back issues are all available), Square, Camera Obscura, and also Lomography which despite the hip-factor still has some interesting articles.

The common feature of all the above is that they are online-only magazines, and not film only but they all have a strong film presence in most issues.. I think I've given links to all these in a previous thread (link). Camera Obscura is a real hidden gem, published in English and German by a Romanian group.

But what are you looking for?

If it's techniques.. then even for digital I haven't found anything original in the monthlies, there's more that's been forgotten than is being discovered fresh, so trawling old magazines or charity shop photography books may be worthwhile. I was looking through my dad's Focal Encyclopedia of Photography from the '60s last weekend and I was suprised by just how relevant it still remains and how much is still to be rediscovered by the FOTM followers.

If it's inspiration.. then I find any magazine that's not specifically a photography magazine is usually a good place to start. Photography magazines are full of images that photographers like, move out of that sphere and you see the images that other people want to see.

ianjmatt, There was a post 3-4 days back, by loopy, in this section. He has some photography magazines from 1997. He wants to dispose of them, but does not want to bin them. Have a look at it, and/or contact him with a PM. They might be just what you are after. And they are free.
Royal Mail charges will be exorbitant, but you could consider using a courier.Their charges are way below RM.

Back