Good replacement for my Canon 7D

Name
Eddy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm in the process of flogging my Canon 7D after a period of non-use... I have the full frame 6D which I use as my main camera, with my 7D being a backup for when I shoot weddings (never had to use it for that purpose!). I wonder if any of y'all could suggest a decent replacement for my 7D? I don't necessarily want another DSLR and would perhaps fancy something a little more portable. Recently I've found myself not taking out either of my cameras because I can't be arsed lugging them around! I guess, in that case, that I'm looking at mirrorless cameras... Any advice welcome!

I often use an EOS M as a walkabout camera. With the M-EF adaptor I can use my main lenses if I want to, but the 18-55 that came with it is a decent lens. Worth a look IMHO.

I often use an EOS M as a walkabout camera. With the M-EF adaptor I can use my main lenses if I want to, but the 18-55 that came with it is a decent lens. Worth a look IMHO.

I will take a look! :) Whilst price isn't a massive factor, I do find that the EOS-M peripherals seem somewhat overpriced... I'm quite interested in having something with an electronic viewfinder! I suppose that narrows my options really...

I would agree with Glenn, in fact I use my EOS M much more than I use my 7D. I ordered the 22mm pancake lens from Amazon about twenty minutes ago, just so that I can slip it into a pocket whilst out and about. I also have the 18-55 M kit lens, which is very good.

I would agree with Glenn, in fact I use my EOS M much more than I use my 7D. I ordered the 22mm pancake lens from Amazon about twenty minutes ago, just so that I can slip it into a pocket whilst out and about. I also have the 18-55 M kit lens, which is very good.

Good move, though you might not ever use the 18-55mm again, the 22mm on the M is a truly inspired combination.

As for not having a viewfinder, I thought that would be a major handicap initially, but in truth dont even think about it really. The touch screen which I thought was a bit of a gimmick, integrates with the camera so well that I want all my future cameras to have one. The touch to shoot function when wandering around is brilliant. There are negatives though, it is certainly no action camera and a bit clumsy with long lenses handheld, on a tripod, not a problem.
Shame that Argos dont still do them for £200, they were an absolute steal.

Thanks both - I will most definitely take a look at the "M". My Dad has an Olympus OMD which I thought was pretty nifty... Ideally I'd like something that can match the performance of my 7D so that, if and when I shoot another wedding, I have a back-up camera should I need it!

Thanks both - I will most definitely take a look at the "M". My Dad has an Olympus OMD which I thought was pretty nifty... Ideally I'd like something that can match the performance of my 7D so that, if and when I shoot another wedding, I have a back-up camera should I need it!

If you are interested in a M, I had mine on sale in the classifieds for a while but I archived it this week as it didn't attract much attention mainly as I had a load of accessories with it for video I think.. I'd be happy to put it back on if you're interested. It has the 18-55 lens & the EF to EOS M adaptor also. The body is mint, the lens & adaptor are new. Let me know and I'll put it up again.

I use a rx100 when I need something more compact than my 5d2 or 7d.

Yep, another Canon user who also has an RX100 for when I'm travelling light, stunning little thing!

As a back up for a wedding shoot though ????
Yes the op did say he was wanting a back up for wedding shoots, good as some compacts are, I think he'd look pretty foolish turning up with a point and shoot. He said he was thinking mirrorless, which implies he still wants the option to change lenses.

As a back up for a wedding shoot though ????

Yes the op did say he was wanting a back up for wedding shoots, good as some compacts are, I think he'd look pretty foolish turning up with a point and shoot. He said he was thinking mirrorless, which implies he still wants the option to change lenses.

I was taking the fact that iphones have been used to photograph weddings on at least a couple of occassions into account. In my opinion a rx100 is a better camera than an iphone so.......:p :exit:

Good move, though you might not ever use the 18-55mm again, the 22mm on the M is a truly inspired combination.

As for not having a viewfinder, I thought that would be a major handicap initially, but in truth dont even think about it really. The touch screen which I thought was a bit of a gimmick, integrates with the camera so well that I want all my future cameras to have one. The touch to shoot function when wandering around is brilliant. There are negatives though, it is certainly no action camera and a bit clumsy with long lenses handheld, on a tripod, not a problem.
Shame that Argos dont still do them for £200, they were an absolute steal.

I agree, I had mine from Argos for the £200 offer, including lens and flash...:)

I was taking the fact that iphones have been used to photograph weddings on at least a couple of occassions into account. In my opinion a rx100 is a better camera than an iphone so.......:p :exit:
Lol, yes I'm sure they've been used to take photos of weddings but not by a professional photographer hired officially surely!
I would have thought you'd be laughed all the way out of the building.

Last edited:
As good as I'm sure the RX100 is, I do have to agree that I wouldn't fancy turning up to shoot a wedding with one - I might get some rather funny looks! As @wardy07 suggests, I would be looking for a smaller mirrorlesss camera... Not necessarily desperate for interchangeable lenses, but I suppose that would be plus!

As good as I'm sure the RX100 is, I do have to agree that I wouldn't fancy turning up to shoot a wedding with one - I might get some rather funny looks! As @wardy07 suggests, I would be looking for a smaller mirrorlesss camera... Not necessarily desperate for interchangeable lenses, but I suppose that would be plus!
I was only thinking lenses as you have Canon lenses with your 6D which you could use if you went for something like the 'M'...and maybe as I have one for sale!!! No, seriously though, it would be an option for you to think about.
Thanks for backing me up btw ;)

Surely interchangeable lenses would be better for weddings?

The Fuji XT10 intrigues me! It looks the part as well... Anyone have any experience with the Fujis?

The Fuji XT10 intrigues me! It looks the part as well... Anyone have any experience with the Fujis?

The various Fuji threads in this very same section will provide all the info you need.

I have a couple of Fuji X series cameras and assorted lenses, switched from Canon and no regrets at all. My daughter has the XT-10 and its a realļy light compact camera, produces the same results as the other x-trans ii cameras such as the X-T1 and X-E2

Back