Good walk about prime

Name
jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of adding to my lens array, wondering what length of prime lens would be a good for general use. Please enlighten me!

Get a sigma dp2m you get a razor sharp 30mm prime with a free camera attached lol

Sorry, D90 body, lenses nikon DX 18-200 vr1 3.5-5.6, sigma DC 17-70 2.8-4.5, nikon 35mm 1.8, nikon D 28-70 3.5-4.5.

Get a sigma dp2m you get a razor sharp 30mm prime with a free camera attached lol
this

tbh a 35mm is close enough to ideal for a average user, decide if you want more length or wider angle really, then itll be 50mm or 24mm?

or a sigma dp1m or dp3m ;)

D90 plus 24mm/f2.8. Sorted. :)

Sorry, D90 body, lenses nikon DX 18-200 vr1 3.5-5.6, sigma DC 17-70 2.8-4.5, nikon 35mm 1.8, nikon D 28-70 3.5-4.5.

Ah, in that case ill go with the others and say your 35mm should be the ideal lens unless you have something more specific in mind.

OK then, the 35 is now at one with the D90, wallet tightly shut, I'll have a play with that for a while, mmmmm I'll keep it quiet that I have not got a new lens, or you just know who will want a new hand bloody bag or something! Lol

As above, I would expect the 35mm is just about perfect. I use the 28mm 1.8 on a full frame Nikon and find it to be a very versatile lens, which was a bit surprising as I sort of expected to use it for landscape type stuff only.

I was about to say 35...but someone states you have one?

I tried using a 50 for walkabout on both crop/ff...every time went back to my 35.

May be im biased but I simply love my 35. Versitle, fast, good IQ etc

I agree, just had this discussion in micro four thirds land. 35mm is my favourite prime walk around for versatility, though I do love using a 28mm. I have switched to a 50mm prime only because I found myself taking more shots of my 1 year old son as he grows up and that focal length performs best.

I was going to ask whats wrong with the 17-70 or 35mm?
And why the 28-70 duplicating the range?

Personally if I had those and was looking for another lens, I'd be replacing the 18-200 with something like a 70-200.

Thinking of adding to my lens array, wondering what length of prime lens would be a good for general use. Please enlighten me!

For your camera? I'd say a 24mm or there about. There's a reason fixed lens compacts with primes are 35mm... or around 24mm if crop sensor. Look for good condition Nikkor 24mm f2.8D on Ebay. They go cheap. They're not particularly stellar on a full frame camera as a 24mm, but as a 35mm equivalent on a crop camera they're superb.

Last edited:
Anything between 24 - 40 (on crop sensor) works for me as a walkabout prime. A 50 doesn't work for me as more times than not seem to be too zoomed in and forever walking backwards to get the right framing.

Basically, as many others have said, your 35 is the obvious choice

I supposed that leads onto another question that you need to answer, what do you want from a lens that the 35 doesn't give you? - with that information it should be easy to direct you to a more suited lens to your needs

Another vote for a 24mm.

...but...35mm is good enough for most situations.

I'd also go with this to get a roughly 35mm full frame perspective. 50mm equivalent is pretty good for most things, but its damn annoying when you need to go wider, especially when indoors.

Back