Google Earth

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I didn't know you could do this in Google Earth.

If you zoom right on an area and then change the view it gives you a 3D topographical render, been around a while that feature, but what is cool is you can track the suns position and see how it lights the scene throughout the day. You can also do the same for the night sky so seeing where the milkyway is at any given time of year.

Here is a video demonstrating this feature.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. It looks interesting.

Dave

Thanks for posting this - I think i'll find it rather useful. Doesn't appear to show moonrise / moonlight on the scene, which is a real shame. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting this - I think i'll find it rather useful. Doesn't appear to show moonrise / moonlight on the scene, which is a real shame. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Does it even show the moon?

Does it even show the moon?

Not that I could see, which I found odd. Still a really useful tool though, just need to cross reference with TPE as I am more likely to use it for planning night shots (y)

This is a good feature it has been around for over 6 years at least and use it all the time. Much better visualisation for the area I think.

I had a further look at this and to me the positioning of the Milky Way does not seem accurate at all, based on past experience and data provided by TPE and Stellarium. I wondered if it was a time zone issue but I double checked that I had the correct one selected. Still a good tool for daylight hours though (y)

I had a further look at this and to me the positioning of the Milky Way does not seem accurate at all, based on past experience and data provided by TPE and Stellarium. I wondered if it was a time zone issue but I double checked that I had the correct one selected. Still a good tool for daylight hours though (y)
So now I'm wondering if the daylight info is correct.

So now I'm wondering if the daylight info is correct.

I haven't checked this closely to be honest, but I think it probably is a fair representation.

In any case, I like the topographical render and will use it for trip-planning, so I still consider this a good find :)

Back