Google suspends business with Huawei after Trump blacklist

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
NEW YORK (Reuters) said:
- Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Sunday, in a blow to the Chinese technology company that the U.S. government has sought to blacklist around the world.

The move could hobble Huawei’s smartphone business outside China as the tech giant will immediately lose access to updates to Google’s Android operating system. The next version of its Android smartphones will also lose access to popular services including the Google Play Store and Gmail and YouTube apps.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ei-after-trump-blacklist-source-idUSKCN1SP0NB

Huge problem for Huawei (and Huawei phone owners) if this is true.

Otherwise it'll be hilarious if China retaliate with telling apple to cease manufacturing in their Chinese factories.

Was wondering about that myself but then that would also hurt China. Besides, I'm sure there are plenty other countries who offer cheap child slave labour for Apple.

Thankfully my phone is made in Japan.

Although not directly related I found this an interesting watch, despite how much I loathe her.

Does that mean we might get a choice of anther operating system that doesn't want to take over our phones ?
Who are google kidding, they are just as invasive

Trump is just constantly threatening China because he knows he cannot win the trade war but he can cripple it for a few years.

I certainly wouldn’t be buying a Huawei phone just now until this all shakes out, an expensive lump if its not going to get further Android Upgrades (to the new Android Q)

Yes, and this could have further ramifications when consumers (and hence the markets) begin to wonder what other Chinese technology may face similar problems.

worth noting it will only affect new phones coming to market I believe, existing devices even unsold ones will be honoured

View: https://BANNED/Android/status/1130313848332988421

@[B]Android[/B]

For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.

huawei.jpg

"For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device. "

Trouble is that such statements don't come with guarantees . For whatever reason the company has become a target and that can only put doubts in the minds of owners and prospective buyers. No one wants to end up with a lemon.

If push came to shove and we had to pick a winner, I would bet on China all day long.
They think and plan for the long term.
I would also bet that Huawei will come up with an alternative operating system for their and other people's phones,
so as to undermine the power of Google.
They no longer need to rely on American technology. Though they buy billions of $ worth of it at the moment.
China could also disrupt the Apple production any time it might wish to.
Trump does not understand the implications of a trade war for America.

China is like a poker player with unlimited cash resources. They win because they can always out bid any hand.

In the mean time we might be offered some excellent Huawei phones on the cheap.

A bigger problem for Huawei is that US chip makers are also blocked from supplying, although I suspect there will be alternatives available in time.

IMO this will be bad because it will force China to dominate, and they won't forget US aggression quickly. Also don't think that just because other countries have cheap labour they can quickly replace China as a manufacturer.

worth noting it will only affect new phones coming to market I believe, existing devices even unsold ones will be honoured

It sounds like even existing phones are unlikely to get any further software updates (I.e to Android Q later this year as advertised) - but only security updates.

My mum just bought a P30, I’ll be advising her its best to get it sent back frankly.

If push came to shove and we had to pick a winner, I would bet on China all day long.
Me too. The danger is that the Trumpet's stupidity may destablise any number of other components of world trade and harm our economy. I still can't see how the Americans have done this to themselves. :thinking:

A bigger problem for Huawei is that US chip makers are also blocked from supplying, although I suspect there will be alternatives available in time.

IMO this will be bad because it will force China to dominate, and they won't forget US aggression quickly. Also don't think that just because other countries have cheap labour they can quickly replace China as a manufacturer.

Huawei can make their own chips, However they would have to gear up quickly to make enough of them.
When they have done so they will have no need of American suppliers in the future ... this is more Billions of trade lost to the USA...
When it comes to scaling up, no one is better or quicker than the Chinese.
Trump has given them a marvellous opportunity.

I read somewhere that USA is run by lawyers, China is run by engineers.
Add to that, next mid-terms thinking vs next century thinking and I know who my money's on.

Does that mean we might get a choice of anther operating system that doesn't want to take over our phones ?
Who are google kidding, they are just as invasive
Sounds like a good reason to buy Huawei TBH

I read somewhere that USA is run by lawyers, China is run by engineers.
Add to that, next mid-terms thinking vs next century thinking and I know who my money's on.
TBH I'm sure China is run by a very determined and relatively unfettered political machine that will seize every opportunity. I wonder how long the US can manage to compete? At least in America there is a semblance of freedom.

I think the problem here is China's National Intelligence Law, which came into effect in July 2017, not really a problem for the average member of the public but a bit of a headache for governments and security agencies.

Huawei can make their own chips, However they would have to gear up quickly to make enough of them.
When they have done so they will have no need of American suppliers in the future ... this is more Billions of trade lost to the USA...
When it comes to scaling up, no one is better or quicker than the Chinese.
Trump has given them a marvellous opportunity.

Huawei already make their own chips for their phones and tablets, but other Chinese makes like OnePlus use Sanpdragon

TBH I'm sure China is run by a very determined and relatively unfettered political machine that will seize every opportunity. I wonder how long the US can manage to compete? At least in America there is a semblance of freedom.

Yip, in China the party rules everything.
"Government, military, society and schools, north, south, east and west - the party leads them all."
Xi Jinping

Yip, in China the party rules everything.
"Government, military, society and schools, north, south, east and west - the party leads them all."
Xi Jinping

So when dealing with them It is perfectly clear how things work. That is if you want to deal at all.
If they are talking with you they are interested in a deal.
If you push them too far they will walk away.
They are probably far better briefed than you are about your side of the deal.

Maybe the Americans (NSA) are jealous that they aren't the number 1 hackers anymore?

Was wondering about that myself but then that would also hurt China. Besides, I'm sure there are plenty other countries who offer cheap child slave labour for Apple.

China isn't that cheap any more. Their government has imposed quite a few increases in minimum wage over the last few years.

China is now like the UK was in the 60s and early 70s. You can walk out of one job and right into another one.

Steve.

China isn't that cheap any more. Their government has imposed quite a few increases in minimum wage over the last few years.

China is now like the UK was in the 60s and early 70s. You can walk out of one job and right into another one.

Steve.

2018, best case (Beijing) their minimum wage is 66% less than the UK current, worst case it is 85% lower. Their cost of living is lower (although it's getting more expensive), but no where near as high a percentage difference, so they will generally be worse off: their GDP (PPP) is miles behind. Wages aren't the only factor, there's employment rights, safety, pollution etc.

But pollution, this is the big one and this effects the whole world. especially at the rate China is pumping it out. It's beyond a disgrace that the world tolerates it by continuing trade with them. Look at all the rights, regulations and restrictions in the UK. No wonder we don't have a chance. But I wouldn't want to see these removed, I'd rather others also have to abide by them to level the playing field a little.

2018, best case (Beijing) their minimum wage is 66% less than the UK current, worst case it is 85% lower. Their cost of living is lower (although it's getting more expensive), but no where near as high a percentage difference, so they will generally be worse off: their GDP (PPP) is miles behind. Wages aren't the only factor, there's employment rights, safety, pollution etc.

But pollution, this is the big one and this effects the whole world. especially at the rate China is pumping it out. It's beyond a disgrace that the world tolerates it by continuing trade with them. Look at all the rights, regulations and restrictions in the UK. No wonder we don't have a chance. But I wouldn't want to see these removed, I'd rather others also have to abide by them to level the playing field a little.

The word tolerates it because if it were not for China, the 1st. world would have to
do its own dirty heavy industry.

When the UK was at the height of the industrial revolution, we were manufacturers to the world, we were the worlds worst poluter.

The word tolerates it because if it were not for China, the 1st. world would have to
do its own dirty heavy industry.

When the UK was at the height of the industrial revolution, we were manufacturers to the world, we were the worlds worst poluter.

Times have changed though and we are more aware of the damage pollution does now, plus technology has advanced to allow manufacturing to be more environmentally friendly, if you care enough and if course are willing to take the financial hit to do this.

It's unacceptable to accept or tolerate something now just because it was accepted in the past. Bit like religion as well.

Back