Goosander

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Trip out to Watermead country park Leicester for the first time.

IMG_2833.jpg

Yep, defo a good one is that.

Andy

Looking good. You should enter it into this month's bird challenge. :)

Sorry if I'm wrong, but isn't a fairly large bird floating on a pond about the easiest bird shot to take? Not saying it's not a nice pic, cos it is, but a comp winner? :shrug:

Last edited:
From my (albeit fairly limited) experience, goosanders are bloody difficult to photograph as they seem to be very nervous birds and very easily spooked.
Add to that that the male, being such a 'contrasty' bird, is difficult to capture nicely, which Mark has succeeded in doing IMO, and I think you've got yourself a very worthwhile entry.

Surely a shot should be judged on how good it is rather than how easy it was to take anyway? :thinking:

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm wrong, but isn't a fairly large bird floating on a pond about the easiest bird shot to take? Not saying it's not a nice pic, cos it is, but a comp winner? :shrug:

Goosanders are effin murder to get close enough to, to get a decent pic.

I'd do something about the composition though. Needs more space on the right(y)

Damn nuisance birds that do their best to decimate the fish population on my fishing lake every winter!

The first time I saw one, it was swimming underwater and we thought there was a big fish in the swim until it broke the surface and took off!

Great shots of a very fast and elusive bird.

Janet

Good capture of a nice bird Mark (y) the white on the bottom of its neck looks a bit blown to me although the light looks a bit challenging.

Back