Goose fast landing

Nice landing action Mark but watch the level (it's sloping to the left) and the bird is too close to the left edge, always leave a little space for the bird to move into, otherwise it looks 'squeezed'. :)

Nice landing action Mark but watch the level (it's sloping to the left) and the bird is too close to the left edge, always leave a little space for the bird to move into, otherwise it looks 'squeezed'. :)
I am a novice at this, but if the goose was more central in the frame, one would loose the wake which gives the viewer the impression of speed

Yes, if I had been there, I would have taken scuba gear and placed myself in the water at an angle of 30 degrees to the bird. You have missed the full expression on the bird's face (I like to see the full face smile) and you can't see whether it has washed under its wings.

If you are wondering how I get a full face smile at a 30 degree angle, I have an electric goose strapped to my head and turn it on at the appropriate moment. It starts flapping in a mating dance and the landing goose always smiles in my direction. I use a transgender electric goose so it appeals to most genders of geese.

Last edited:
Yes, if I had been there, I would have taken scuba gear and placed myself in the water at an angle of 30 degrees to the bird. You have missed the full expression on the bird's face (I like to see the full face smile) and you can't see whether it has washed under its wings.

If you are wondering how I get a full face smile at a 30 degree angle, I have an electric goose strapped to my head and turn it on at the appropriate moment. It starts flapping in a mating dance and the landing goose always smiles in my direction. I use a transgender electric goose so it appeals to most genders of geese.

Realy ,cant wait to see some of your bird shots :):):):):):) Some good advice from @gramps i fail to see why you should take the Pxxx

I wasn't taking the pxxx, he has a valid point, I was just stating how it should have been done, in my opinion.

On the shot Mark,its a good action shot ,with a little thought on composttion would have improved the image if there was more space for the bird to move in to ..

So.... You have to put emojis on everything these days to enable people to realise something is tongue in cheek? They better start adding pop-up smiley faces to Roy Brydon and Steve Cougan series in that case :)

I personaly dont suffer fools gladly ,and in my honest opinion your taking the pxxx....now if your comment is tounge in cheek etc,put a smiley next to it ...
Also Den, I feel that, like art critics, some photography expectations and criticism does tend to get a little extreme. Some like a shot one way, some another, some shots are pure art. I woke up with the devil in me.... and when I saw the goose... well... The photographer presented a subject that induced an emotion, well done Mark.

Last edited:
The first set creates a bit more anxiety as the bird is running out of landing strip and is danger of falling out of the photograph. I will stick a smiley on as well just in case, belts 'n braces 'n all ;) :nikon:

And to continue from Byker28i I do like on the wider photo that the splash is showing from further to the right.

I am a novice at this, but if the goose was more central in the frame, one would loose the wake which gives the viewer the impression of speed
Each photographer makes his own decisions. :)
It is not necessary to remove all of the wake, half of the wake in this image could easily be removed without taking away any of the obvious sense of speed when a bird lands.
However the bird so close to the left edge is quite wrong.

Back