GoPro Night Lapse Practice

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1nkB7Tc5A

It's a little "Noisy" and not by any means perfect. Other than some lens correction, scaling and rotation, there was no other post editing done.

This was simply to test the settings.

GoPro Hero 4 Black
In water proof housing

F-Stop: 2.8 (standard)
Exposure: 15 Sec
Interval: 30 Sec
ISO: 800

Obviously I need to go out and either get away from the light, or, incorporate the light (was thinking Chesterfield town centre one evening).

Has anyone had much success with good quality time lapses using the GoPro?

I'd recommend going through protune settings, making sure your WB is set to manual (select 3300k is similar, depending on the artificial light) which will help stop some of the flickering.

You should be able to get away with a shorter shutter speed, I would've thought, with ISO800 - I did one in Iceland using a GoPro last year with little artificial light and was at 5s - that will help the noise slightly, otherwise decrease the ISO and keep a longer shutter.

I'd suggest keeping the gap between shots as small as possible - I'm not sure but can't it do 15s without having an interval?

Thanks.

One problem I noticed is that the GoPro App doesn't give you an accurate preview of the image based on the exposure set. So I took a pic at 30 seconds, previewed it, then again at 15 seconds, previewed it and so on.... Rather annoying that - hence the test really

I recently bought a tablet to use as a screen for my dslr and GoPro. Whilst fine quality for the dslr, the quality through the GoPro app is terrible. I'd wondered if there was an alternative to the GoPro app but haven't looked into it yet.

I recently bought a tablet to use as a screen for my dslr and GoPro. Whilst fine quality for the dslr, the quality through the GoPro app is terrible. I'd wondered if there was an alternative to the GoPro app but haven't looked into it yet.
I've seen people on the GoPro Hero 4 Facebook Page create their own codes so they can access their GoPro from a Web Browser rather than an app. Not sure if anyone has actually created an alternative app yet - or if they have, not sure if it's publicly available

I've seen people on the GoPro Hero 4 Facebook Page create their own codes so they can access their GoPro from a Web Browser rather than an app. Not sure if anyone has actually created an alternative app yet - or if they have, not sure if it's publicly available

After a look around there are the odd app out there that are slightly better, the best I've found so far being GoPro Cam Suite. Much easier changing settings and I think the preview screen is a tad clearer too.

You would be best to change your interval to continuous, it would get rid of the flickering and give you a really smooth video.
Here are the best settings I have found for Night lapse, give it a try and see how you get on.
You can always change them to suit your conditions.

Shutter 30 seconds
Interval continuous
Pro tune on
ISO 800
Colour balance Native

This is a timelapse I shot with those settings on a Hero 4 silver.

View: http://youtu.be/mYA8JEmOD-w

Last edited:
definitely try to get away from urban lightsource and find some black spots. Also, Allan's settings are spot on. I shot my first timelapse on Gopro, but i moved to DSLR quickly. If you "get into it" i suggest doing the same...

When i do night lapse with my hero 4 black, i do 0.5 second intervals....thats on video/picture mode. A 30 minute capture is about 3 minutes in total

Back