Gopro stops recording prematurely

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a bit annoying...

I don't know how long I'll get with my gopro 3 black edition before it decides to stop recording. When it does stop, it shows the file corrupt sign and I need to press a button to restore it.

It's not a card write speed issue - I have a sandisk ultra 32gb and the problem occurs at all bitrates (card writes at 30mbs and problem occurs even at 20mps).

Also happens whether battery is full or linked to a charging device so not battery related.

Typically I very more than 30mins but I'm sure that's not right?

Any help appreciated.

Has it only just started doing this Phil or have you just got it?

I'm not a gopro expert per se but I do know loads of problems people have encountered with the 3 with some people going for ultra fast cards/ turning off protunes/ formatting card in camera etc to solve recording issues.
Does the card have any other files on it or is it completely blank? I have heard of people complaining about how it performs with 32GB and 64GB cards but I think the Hero 3 in general is just so buggy it points to any number of random things.
I had a 2 and didn't have any issues with it- rarely used in the end and parted when someone offered to buy it- currently waiting on the 4 as I think I now have some good uses for it but I'm very wary given all the issues with the 3- certainly will be letting early adopters test first:D.

I think you may need to enlist the help of some gopro forums- http://www.goprofanatics.com/, http://goprouser.freeforums.org/

I've had it since Christmas but not used it much. Now I want to use it more.

I've swapped a card (from 32gb hc to 64gb xc) and going to give that a whirl now.

If that does the trick then it will be the card I guess...

Cool (y). Glad its sorted.

They are good products - D600 type fiasco with the Hero 3 though. Create a D610/3+ to try and rectify- mmm. Got some more serious competition/ higher expectations and a degree of customer dissatisfaction now so I'm hoping they've firmly grasped the dropped ball for the 4.

I don't think Sandisk cards are as reliable as they used to be, I hear of more Sandisk cards failing than ever before.

Bear in mind a lot of sandisk cards are sold that are takes though, where the size is over represented and you only discover this when you hit the physical limit of the card...!

I have the Hero2 and have just had it replaced by gopro due to it not starting up but prior to that I had no end of card issues with it stopping and saying no sd card in the display in the middle of recording which really ticked me off when you go to turn it off only to discover that it hadnt even recorded, anyway I considered the H3 but am looking at other alternatives now and even considering going back to a kodak playsport with which I had no problems other than the crap battery life. Yes I think gopro have got some competition now which may be a good thing.

Last edited:
Gopro said that my sandisk cards may have been fake apparently they are rife on the internet but they worked okay in my fuji camera, I was scratching my head. :)

I also found using 3rd party batteries can cause it to overheat in hot countries. Just a tip!

Sounds like you found the culprit. The SanDisk Ultra card isn't on the recommended list from GoPro and there have been loads of problems with this card, even 100% genuine SanDisk cards. The SanDisk Extreme has been tested and approved but as with everything you sometimes get a bad card even when it is top of the range and genuine.

Here's the list of recommended cards..

• SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQXL-032G)
  • SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 633x (LSDMI32GBBNL633R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 633x (LSDMI64GBBNL633R)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 600x (LSDMI64GBSBNA600R)
  • Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
  • Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)

Back