GoPro - which one?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently use a Nikon 1AW for snorkelling but with advancing years has come the need for reading glasses when working at arms' length, especially when I'm wearing my contact lenses - as I tend to do when out for the day on the beach. After about 20 years, my face mask needs replacing so I'm going to give THIS a try and it has a GoPro mount. My reasoning is that with a bit of fiddling, I should be able to aim the GoPro at what I'm looking at so won't need to look at the rear screen of any camera for framing. Looking at GoPros, I find myself at a loss as to which of them would be best for the job. Anyone got any ideas? Ease of use while underwater and unable to see the controls is pretty important, as is image quality. Will only be going down to "normal" snorkelling depths so no need for SCUBA proofing. I would like a battery to last long enough for about 3 hours of snorkelling without a battery change, shooting stills not continuous video, although it might get the occasional use as a video camera. Oh, and it doesn't have to be a GoPro, GOOD copies are perfectly acceptable.

TIA.

Thanks for that comparison link, Lyle.

Hi and I would highly recommend the GitUp camera and had the GitUp1 as a dashcam in my car before I sold the car.
A small clip below.

PS: Gitup2 has image stabilisation and better footage during day but GitUp1 has better footage at night with the Sony sensor.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH836GWVTmA

I forgot to say it comes with the underwater kit and is also Go Pro fitments so might be ideal what you are looking for and plenty information on the dashcam forums.

The GitUp1Pro kit sounds ideal, especially with the watch remote control. Just need to find a UK stockist with one in stock!

Amazon! Since the mask/snorkel's coming from them, it seemed logical to order the camera (Pro kit) etc. on the same visit.

Thanks for the help - always nice to spend other people's money! ;)

I would have suggested that, but it comes with minimal mounts and such.
You certainly aren't tied to relatively expensive gopro because that style of mount can also be easily adapted to a standard tripod screw apart from the copies which use the same system.
For a starter system the SJ4000 clones are pretty good as they come with a decent box of bits which would cost more than the camera if you bought them separately for a gopro.
This is probably a genuine SJcam gopro copy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...Action-Sports-DV-Camera-CODE-UK-/152001218697
At that price you can't go wrong really - however no denying there are alternative fake gopros with slightly better performance for not much more.
I'd be cautious spending less as they tend to play fast and loose with the specs.
The sellers don't have much idea and just copy any old stuff in!

SJ4000 does have something of a cult following as the original 'good' gopro copy and you can actually find firmware updates and such for them (!)

Last edited:
I bought a SJ7000 from ebay £33 as it was a trial to see if I could mount it low on a car, etc.

It's brilliant - even more for the money. Can't believe it Wifi connect to the phone, great quality, quite a wide lens.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222095330221?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I have a GoPro 3+ and have just ordered one of the SJ7000s to see how it compares. I can also then let the kids use it without worrying about it getting broken etc.

Last edited:
SJ7000 is a direct ripoff of a gopro, same size, takes the same batteries, fits all go pro accessories. The waterproof housing works well.

Liking the look of the Gitup 2....

Was toying with the SJcam 4000 but too many reports of knock off versions.

Last edited:
Git1 with case and watch/remote ordered, along with a couple of extra batteries just in case I leave the thing on! Went for the 1 over the 2 since the 1's supposedly got better low light capability and light drops off fairly fast underwater. Just need some patience. NOW!!!

Any samples from the SJ7000????? Would like to see what the quality is like as i dont fancy giving/purchasing my 11 year old a goPro

How does the image quality of these compare to the go-pros? My wife is hinting at buying me one for my birthday and this may save her a few pennies!

I got a SJ5000 clone made by TecBean.

It's pretty good.

The main difference from my old Hero 3 Black is the lens is more wide angle on the clone.

Bargain though and it takes all the Go Pro mounts.

Any samples from the SJ7000????? Would like to see what the quality is like as i dont fancy giving/purchasing my 11 year old a goPro
Not on line, no, but search youtube for SJ7000 and there's plenty.
Quality is really good, easy to read numberplates when used as a dashcam, very good at nighttime, worked well underwater on holiday. For £33 I took a punt and was pleasantly surprised. If it's for your daughter they do different colours, I just went for black so it didnt stand out

I got an Eken H9 off eBay a few months back. It shoots 1080 at 60fps or 30fps. It also shoots 4K at 15fps (only good if you speed up the footage in post).

The quality of the footage is great, my friend bought a GoPro 4 black at the same time and he agrees the footage is nearly as good, certainly better value for money when you consider the £25 purchase price of my Eken compared to the £300 price of his GoPro.
At Less that 10% of the GoPro it's well worth a go.

Like the look of the GIT1 or 2, mainly for videoing the kids, taking on holidays for use on the beach and in the pool etc. What software does anyone use for editing video footage, on windows?

Camera, batteries and remote arrived this morning, just as I was leaving! Had a quick play and all's well other than the remote refusing to pair with the camera. No problem returning it for refund thanks to Amazon's policy. Have also discovered that the remote isn't suitable for 3m+ depth and I would have been using it at deeper than that. Shame but not a killer. Several different mounting options in the box so will have a play on the bikes as well!

GIT1_V1.20_20151013. V1.30 doesn't appear to offer any benefits over V1.20 for me so I probably won't bother upgrading for a while. Might see what V1.40 does!

I would pm or Email Bill @ Gitup and tell him what problems you are having pairing the watch as I'm sure he will have a fix for it or at least be able to help you solve it.

Not sure what he'll be able to do about it not being suitable for 3m+ snorkelling! Besides, it's winging its way back to Amazon as we type (for a full refund.)

The watch or the whole kit is being returned?

The watch or the whole kit is being returned?

The watch. Keeping the camera. Got the tablet set up as a remote using a 3rd party app (FinalCam) until Git get their app finished.

Back