Wild Goshawk eye contact

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't anticipate this Goshawk landing as close as it did. I was stuck with a 400f4.5 prime lens on the Z9 and i couldn't swap lenses so its way bigger in the frame than i would have liked. The Zoom lens was pointed at a different perch and to move it would have scared the bird as it hadn't settled by this time and was very very wary of movement. Still like the eye contact, sharpness, clarity and perch etc though so worth keeping.

Goshawk eye contact by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Last edited:
"Excellent" wildlife style capture Mark.

Very nice shot. Don't think I've seen a Goshawk in the wild much less got a decent photo. I get what your saying on the composition front, but it's still very good.

Ticks every box, despite the framing being tight, I'd be happy with any image of a wild Goshawk. :clap:

The picture is lovely, but it really would have been even better if there was a little space on the top and front.
I guess the Goshawk will come back and then you will be prepared. What kind of bird did you expect to land instead of а Goshawk in your case?

I expected a Goshawk but not on the branch that it landed. It used this branch to scope the area before dropping down to the perch i had the 200-500 zoom set up at a out 250mm. I do have the images from the zoom and those have space around the bird but havent processed any of those yet.
The picture is lovely, but it really would have been even better if there was a little space on the top and front.
I guess the Goshawk will come back and then you will be prepared. What kind of bird did you expect to land instead of а Goshawk in your

Still a nice shot of a fabulous bird, Mark. Having a bit more snow in the background would take it to the next level.

well we are all our own worst critics ;) personally I just love it as is

Back