Got a 400D now want lenses

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I have just bought A second hand 400D For the wife for her birthday.
It came with no kit lens but instead has a Canon 17-85 f4-5.6 IS Lens fitted.

Now I am feeling generous and wish to compliment this lens with maybe a couplr more for her.

Its her first DSLR but she is very keen to learn so I thought I would see if I could kit her up to get her off to a good start.

I Dont know much but have been researching as much as I can and for a reasonable amount of money I have come up with these two

Tamron 70-300 Macro £99.99 Jessops
Canon 50mm f1.8 £77.99 Amazon.

Am I barking up the right tree here or could you guys suggest alternatives for sensible money (read cheap ) lol

Get a tamron 17-50 f2.8

Not the most useful of replies!

The two lenses you have suggested there are very different from each other. The 17-85mm IS lens is a good improvement over the standard kit lens and offers a useful focal length for a walk around lens. I would suggest that you keep this lens for now.

What type of photography does your wife like to do? The type of photography she wants to do will dictate the equipment she will need. For example, if it is landscape buying her something like a tripod, or a polarising filter may benefit her more than a new lens. Or if it is portrait photography an off camera flash, or the 50mm F1.8 lens may benefit her more.

I hope that helps you.

Any particular reasons for this one ? Remember i am trying to learn :)

Get a tamron 17-50 f2.8

where is that complimenting the lens he already has??

I will always recommend a 50mm 1.8, they are just so cheap and such good value for money..

I would actually for now just give her what you have already, no point needlessly weighing the camera bag down, save the money and a month after she has been using it you get a 'I could do with a bit more reach' or 'some creative bokeh and more low light options would be handy' then you know what to buy without wasting money....

as far as budget long zooms go I prefer 55-200mm, they seem to handle better and in my experience I get better results cropping a 200mm image than an uncropped 300mm one.

DaveKing said:
Not the most useful of replies!

The two lenses you have suggested there are very different from each other. The 17-85mm IS lens is a good improvement over the standard kit lens and offers a useful focal length for a walk around lens.

What type of photography does your wife like to do? The type of photography she wants to do will dictate the equipment she will need. For example, if it is landscape buying her something like a tripod, or a polarising filter may benefit her more than a new lens. Or if it is portrait photography an off camera flash, or the 50mm F1.8 lens may benefit her more.

I hope that helps you.
Hi
Thanks for that
Honestly she enjoys all kinds of photography at the moment. From snapping the kids in the garden, to bees and butterflies on the plants and landscapes on holidays.
I understand these require different kit and thats why i was hoping to trying cover this with my suggestions.
she may well start to get more involved in one type of thing the more she gets into it but i thought i would try and give her options.
She has a pretty good.trippd already too so wont need to get that :)

Canon 50mm f1.8 - for a cheap larger aperture lens can't really go wrong for the money.

Canon 55-250mm IS - brilliant little telezoom for the money, sharp and has IS. I think if you try and save money on this one, you will ultimately waste money.

If feeling really generous, a flash gun (y)

Canon 50mm f1.8 - for a cheap larger aperture lens can't really go wrong for the money.

Canon 55-250mm IS - brilliant little telezoom for the money, sharp and has IS. I think if you try and save money on this one, you will ultimately waste money.

If feeling really generous, a flash gun (y)

See thats why I came and asked here :)
Just seen that 55-250 on amazon for £139 now that really isnt much more than the tamron is it :)

The lenses you've suggested would give a good range, I've been paticularly impressed with the 50m F1.8.
Have you looked at used lenses? You might eb able to get better stuff for similar money.

See thats why I came and asked here :)
Just seen that 55-250 on amazon for £139 now that really isnt much more than the tamron is it :)

Here is one taken just the other day at ISO 400, full zoom 250mm 1/320 (I.S.) and with a Tiffen UV filter on - cheap filter so take that as a further hit on potential image quality. Not bad for a £130ish lens in my opinion.

55-250chaff.jpg

100% crop
55-250chafcrop.jpg

Thats a really sharp image above really nice, so it stays nice and sharp at full zoom, I suppose that I wont do better than that lens for the money will I :)

Last edited:
i personally would add a 50mm f1.8. Is a fast aperture lens means better for low light and also will give you that bokeh as well. Is useful

i personally would add a 50mm f1.8. Is a fast aperture lens means better for low light and also will give you that bokeh as well. Is useful

Avoid the Tamron 70-300mm, if you need a longer lens then the Canon 55-250mm IS is a cracker by all accounts.

Well from the replies so far it looks like I have found the 2 lenses to buy her :)
I know a couple of people have said just go with what is with the camera at the moment But I just think if she has most focal range covered she will find out what she likes best.
Then if one of the lenses ends up getting no use I could always sell it on eh (y)

Well from the replies so far it looks like I have found the 2 lenses to buy her :)
I know a couple of people have said just go with what is with the camera at the moment But I just think if she has most focal range covered she will find out what she likes best.
Then if one of the lenses ends up getting no use I could always sell it on eh (y)

Yeah, those 2 lens is a good start point to see what you like or don't like. You never know, she might end up wanting to shoot with prime lens only.

Those two lenses don't seem to hang around for long in the classifieds, usually going for around £60 and £120 (apprx) so I wouldn't be too concerned about being stuck with them.

Some of the poorer lenses might need to take a relatively bigger hit on the price to shift them on the used market.

I havent got access to the classifieds to have a look but if thats what they normally fetch i may aswell just go for new eh ?

I'm in the same boat, well it was not for my partner but for me! I got a 400D a couple of months ago and just got a 55-250mm IS last week.

It's a brilliant lens and as shown above very sharp, definitely worth the money!

David Q said:
I'm in the same boat, well it was not for my partner but for me! I got a 400D a couple of months ago and just got a 55-250mm IS last week.

It's a brilliant lens and as shown above very sharp, definitely worth the money!

Hi there thanks for your input

Do you have any other lrnses ?

I'm not a canon person, but you mentioned bees and butterflies.

Once you've got the lenses you've mentioned (50mm f1.8 and the 55-250) have a browse at the tubes or a raynox 250 filter. These coupled to the 55-250 should give you the option of macro fairly cheap (raynox is around 40ukp - amazon).

Hope you get the lenses you want and enjoy them!

I'm not a canon person, but you mentioned bees and butterflies.

Once you've got the lenses you've mentioned (50mm f1.8 and the 55-250) have a browse at the tubes or a raynox 250 filter. These coupled to the 55-250 should give you the option of macro fairly cheap (raynox is around 40ukp - amazon).

Hope you get the lenses you want and enjoy them!

Hi
and thanks for your input :)
So what exactly is it that the Raynox does ? Intrigued now :)

Hi there thanks for your input

Do you have any other lrnses ?

I have the standard 18-55mm kit lens that came with the body, I've literally just ordered the 50mm 1.8 - I think that should keep me adequately well covered to get a feel for photography before I go out and spend big money on a lens.

Again for what it's worth the 55-250 IS is a brilliant lens, it was a toss up between that and the sigma 70-300 and I'm glad I went for the Canon in the end up.

Hi
and thanks for your input :)
So what exactly is it that the Raynox does ? Intrigued now :)

Its a bit like a magnifying glass on a filter. As the crop sensors only use the middle of the lens and this is where it sits, you get more magnification with little light loss. Works better with more mm on the lens...

Raynox 150

Post #30

Amazons Raynox

David Q said:
I have the standard 18-55mm kit lens that came with the body, I've literally just ordered the 50mm 1.8 - I think that should keep me adequately well covered to get a feel for photography before I go out and spend big money on a lens.

Again for what it's worth the 55-250 IS is a brilliant lens, it was a toss up between that and the sigma 70-300 and I'm glad I went for the Canon in the end up.

Ok so it seems i will end up with a similar selection of lenses as yourself.
I hope she enjoys this camera now after all this :)

Back