Beginner Got a A7IV for capturing our Road Trips…Help on Lenses, Filters, Tripod

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Me and my Wife have been traveling/road trips and photographing these trips since 2000. My last Camera was a Canon 450d in 2008, which I only ever used the kit lens. Recently purchased a Sony ZV1. ‘Not sure if that was the right choice’ Wanted to update my gear. So I’ve gone for the Sony A7IV. Any advice on lens choice, filters, batteries, memory cards, tripods etc would be welcomed.

Landscape photography with some video of the trips along the way is the main plan. We also use a drone most of our trips and I’m currently using LumaFusion for editing on my iPad Pro.

For road trips I'd probably want 3 lenses minimum:
General purpose good quality zoom like the Sony 24-105 f4 G or Tamron 28-200. I have the 24-105 as my travel lens, Tamron has a great rep.
Something fairly wide: Sony 16-35, Samyang 18mm f2.8, maybe even a 12-24. I have the 18mm (small and light) and an A mount Sigma 12-24 adapted to FE (super-useful).
Something with a 'normal-ish field of view around 35mm-55mm and a fastish aperture for low light and subject isolation. Sony 35 f1.8, sony Zeiss 55 f1.8, Samyang 35 & 45 f1.8s. If you don't mind the weight and have the cash then look at f1.4 versions. I have the 55 f1.8 and have just bought a Samyang 50 f1.4 for the rendering and super subject isolation.

Filters - I seldom use them, though occasionally will use a polariser or a 10 stop ND filter. The dynamic range of the A7IV should be enough that you can balance highlights and shadows in post without the crudeness of a graduated filter.

Batteries - My A7III will do around 1000 shots on a fresh charge. I'd just carry a spare. You can also run the camera off an ordinary external power pack with a standard USB cable.

Memory cards - no particular recommendations.

Tripods - I prefer not to use them generally, but have a Benbo with a ball head for when I need a stable platform.

Make sure you have a blower for sensor cleaning.

The 24-105 F4 is a good all round choice.
It isn't quite wide enough for tight space like indoors or even crowded narrow streets sometimes.
The f4 16-35 is quite good for that or you might consider the 20mm F1.8 which would also be good for low light scenes.
You can boost the ISO way up on these cameras so the f4 lenses are adequate for most low light like sunset or under streetlight at night
You might consider a 3rd one with more reach maybe the 70-200 F4 which is much more affordable than the 2.8 version
I have some filters but rarely use them as it is too much messing about when e.g. for video you can just run the shutter faster and nobody will notice.
I would keep the ZV1 though they are so pocketable you would really miss it.

The battery life is pretty good I would just have a powerbank on hand to give it a boost if need be rather than buy another battery.
The Kingston Canvas react cards work fine you can get 128GB for about £100 , I would get two.
I would also avoid tripods unless you really must.
There is usually some other way to set the camera down if you need to.
Obviously they are useful to have but even so called compact ones are a major awkward bulky addition to carry.
The stabilisation on the A7iv means handholding is rarely a problem even video looks Ok if you are steady handed.

Last edited:
If you like compact lenses take a look at the Sony 35mm f2.8 and the compact G series of 24mm f2.8 G and 40 and 50mm f2.5 G. These are very compact FF lenses.

For road trips I'd probably want 3 lenses minimum:
General purpose good quality zoom like the Sony 24-105 f4 G or Tamron 28-200. I have the 24-105 as my travel lens, Tamron has a great rep.
Something fairly wide: Sony 16-35, Samyang 18mm f2.8, maybe even a 12-24. I have the 18mm (small and light) and an A mount Sigma 12-24 adapted to FE (super-useful).
Something with a 'normal-ish field of view around 35mm-55mm and a fastish aperture for low light and subject isolation. Sony 35 f1.8, sony Zeiss 55 f1.8, Samyang 35 & 45 f1.8s. If you don't mind the weight and have the cash then look at f1.4 versions. I have the 55 f1.8 and have just bought a Samyang 50 f1.4 for the rendering and super subject isolation.

Filters - I seldom use them, though occasionally will use a polariser or a 10 stop ND filter. The dynamic range of the A7IV should be enough that you can balance highlights and shadows in post without the crudeness of a graduated filter.

Batteries - My A7III will do around 1000 shots on a fresh charge. I'd just carry a spare. You can also run the camera off an ordinary external power pack with a standard USB cable.

Memory cards - no particular recommendations.

Tripods - I prefer not to use them generally, but have a Benbo with a ball head for when I need a stable platform.

Make sure you have a blower for sensor cleaning.

Thanks that’s some great homework to get me started.

I have got my eyes on the sigma 24-70 art lens for a start. But definitely will look around at the others you mentioned.

Blower…yes absolutely

Was thinking of a uv filter more protection than for use

May just opt for a cheap ish tripod at some point as won’t be used much

Depends what style you shoot in really.

Maybe wide, 50mm, and a 70-180/200mm variant.....

I shoot with the 24GM, 35GM and Tamron 70-180mm. Covers a nice range for me with plenty of light gathering.

The 24-105 F4 is a good all round choice.
It isn't quite wide enough for tight space like indoors or even crowded narrow streets sometimes.
The f4 16-35 is quite good for that or you might consider the 20mm F1.8 which would also be good for low light scenes.
You can boost the ISO way up on these cameras so the f4 lenses are adequate for most low light like sunset or under streetlight at night
You might consider a 3rd one with more reach maybe the 70-200 F4 which is much more affordable than the 2.8 version
I have some filters but rarely use them as it is too much messing about when e.g. for video you can just run the shutter faster and nobody will notice.
I would keep the ZV1 though they are so pocketable you would really miss it.

The battery life is pretty good I would just have a powerbank on hand to give it a boost if need be rather than buy another battery.
The Kingston Canvas react cards work fine you can get 128GB for about £100 , I would get two.
I would also avoid tripods unless you really must.
There is usually some other way to set the camera down if you need to.
Obviously they are useful to have but even so called compact ones are a major awkward bulky addition to carry.
The stabilisation on the A7iv means handholding is rarely a problem even video looks Ok if you are steady handed.
Thanks, I will look around for a 16-35 would help out in the streets like you say.

Tripods are just a pain to carry which is why I thought it would just gather dust but maybe for a couple long exposure shots would come in handy

I swapped my canon g7x mkii for the zv-1 and don’t think I’d get rid of it. The reason for the camera upgrade was things have moved on massively since I got the 450d in 2008 and had decided this year I’d take the plunge to start again

Was thinking of a uv filter more protection than for use
If you are likely to be shooting in conditions where there is a lot of 'muck' in the air - salt water spray, dust, mud, etc, then there is an advantage in using a specific Protection filter (not UV) as this will avoid the risk of small scratches when repeatedly cleaning the lens to clear stuff off (A specific protection filter will be optically clear, have special anti flare and anti scratch coatings, and be made from a tougher glass to reduce the chance of a small stone impact shattering it).
Otherwise, just make sure you always use the lens hood (unless you are using a CPL, where the hood blocks adjusting it) - the hood will provide much more protection from knocks and bumping into things!

You've not said where you are traveling, but if you are shooting in very bright conditions you may find an ND filter useful - particularly if you opt for a wide aperture prime.
Even in the UK it's possible to find on a (good) summers day that ISO 100, f/1.4 and 1/8000 is overexposed.

Re tripods, I sometimes feel almost compelled to have them. I own 4 (the Benbo mentioned, a Red Snapper, a carbon fibre travel job and a cheap heavy one) but haven't used any for over a year.

Two things to consider, weight vs your expected quality of output. The more weight and cost means when travelling are you going to be able to carry the gear for extended periods in all types of weather. Having more gear will also make you a target for criminals.

You've not said where you are traveling, but if you are shooting in very bright conditions you may find an ND filter useful - particularly if you opt for a wide aperture prime.
Even in the UK it's possible to find on a (good) summers day that ISO 100, f/1.4 and 1/8000 is overexposed.

Mainly in the UK. But also visits to US and Canada

The new Sigma 16-28 f2.8 would be one to consider. A lot lighter and cheaper than the Sony 16-35GM but you loose 7mm at the long end. With batteries buy genuine and not off eBay or Amazon as there are too many fakes around. The same can be said for memory cards.

Back