Got bored so did some smoke trails

Good smoking ! These are great fun to do, you've sparked my enthusiasm to get a fire going now :)

Good smoking ! These are great fun to do, you've sparked my enthusiasm to get a fire going now :)

Thanks Bax. It was good fun. 1st time I've done these in years and want to get into using flash more often in my photography, so thought I'd give it another go.

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Yes they are a good way to get some good stuff.

Maybe would look great in a triptych or a square set of four?

Nice work. What were you using to generate the smoke, joss sticks?
Maplin/rs components sell smoke pens for airflow testing and they generate a nice thick smoke trail.

Number 4 is my pic of the group, all are very good but number 4 reminds me of the alien from the film Alien.

Always like the look of these are they easy(ish) to do or is there a lot of luck in getting the right pattern, I suppose you could do composites to get a really good shape.

Nice work. What were you using to generate the smoke, joss sticks?
Maplin/rs components sell smoke pens for airflow testing and they generate a nice thick smoke trail.

Thanks Byker

I used joss sticks to do these. I've not seen the smoke pens from maplin's so might be worth looking up. Hopefully they won't stink the room out like the joss sticks.

Do u know of any examples of people using the smoke pens?

Number 4 is my pic of the group, all are very good but number 4 reminds me of the alien from the film Alien.

Always like the look of these are they easy(ish) to do or is there a lot of luck in getting the right pattern, I suppose you could do composites to get a really good shape.

I see the alien character as well!!

They are easy to do. All you need is your flash gun, preferably off camera, some joss sticks and a black background.

Getting the right pattern is the hard part and there is a lot of luck involved. The beauty of digital is you can take as many shots as you like until you have the patterns you like.

If you do a search on smoke trails, you'll see a lot of the images are composites. Theres Also a lot of tutorials on line as well.

Give me a shout if you need any help.

Thanks Byker

I used joss sticks to do these. I've not seen the smoke pens from maplin's so might be worth looking up. Hopefully they won't stink the room out like the joss sticks.

Do u know of any examples of people using the smoke pens?

Just checked - RS Components still do them, was sure I got mine from Maplins - maybe not. £30 now so perhaps stick to the joss sticks as you're getting good result.

I did a few, don't want to jump on your thread so I'll just link
http://www.pbase.com/byker28i/image/111090422
http://www.pbase.com/byker28i/image/111109402
http://www.pbase.com/byker28i/image/111109550
http://www.pbase.com/byker28i/image/111142891

rainy Sunday afternoon - blimey 6 years ago!

Great shots of the smoke trails .

I'll be sticking to joss sticks. Shelling out £30 is a little excessive for this exercise and for the amount of times I'm going to do it!

The smoke pens do give a thicker smoke trail.

Dont blame you - sorry didn't realise they were that pricey now until I looked.

Great images I want to give this a go myself I have the bits just need to get myself organsied.

How did you get the different colours?

I really like the simplicity of the second image.

However the nasty looking demon in the last image is blowing me away!

Great images I want to give this a go myself I have the bits just need to get myself organsied.

How did you get the different colours?

Cheers Mini. Worth getting organised for.

To get the colours I used a gradient tool. Alternatively create a new blank layer, set the blend mode to colour and paint in the colour you want!

Just did a 'demo' evening at our club showing how easy it is to set this up and get some really unique abstracts.
Different people see different things in the smoke.
They do make great triptych or in my case a panel of 3 prints in an earlier club comp.
Simple way to make some classy art for the hall wall too !!:)

Last edited:
Mm thinking I'll have to try this one day. The simplicity of no 2 is great. Thanks for sharing how you created the colours

Really like number 2, looks like a flower, I had fun doing this before, remember the house stunk afterwards lol.

Back