Got it!!

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally I got one I'm happy with and now the basics are out of the way I can concentrate on getting some nice colour effects. NO WAY am I trying for two at the same time though. :LOL:

10sde7q.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one John! :D

Where are you lighting it from? Looks like from the front to me? It would be immediately a lot better if you lit from the back :)

Nice one John! :D

Where are you lighting it from? Looks like from the front to me? It would be immediately a lot better if you lit from the back :)

You caught me out :razz: I will try some from the back when I get some more batteries for my flash. I only used them for an hour tops and they are flat. I need some rechargeable ones quick time.

Thanks for the tips matey (y) By the way my eyedroppers came today and I just removed the pipette and shoved the glass part into the water feed pipe and it makes a better formed droplet in my opinion.

I thought I would join in the "eye avatar" thing goin on ;)

Bloody great collision (y)

Thanks for commenting I like the eye av Trev, You just have to join the water drop collision club now :naughty:

Great timing on the shot. What lens was you using?

I used my 50mm Sigma EX Macro but Some unmentionable people on here get far better and stunning results with a kit lens :shrug:

You caught me out :razz: I will try some from the back when I get some more batteries for my flash. I only used them for an hour tops and they are flat. I need some rechargeable ones quick time.

Thanks for the tips matey (y) By the way my eyedroppers came today and I just removed the pipette and shoved the glass part into the water feed pipe and it makes a better formed droplet in my opinion.

Haha, I got too impatient and went and looked at the exif data anyways :p LOL.

Yeh definitely get some rechargables for flash, I have a few sets of 4 rechargable AA batteries to swap around in my flashes, they do eat them up as you say. But it just makes water appear SO much better when lit from behind, you get a nice smooth surface to it and can't see through it :) It becomes the colour of whatever the reflector/diffuser is behind the water.

I've never used droppers, do you just squeeze it and hope two drops come out that are about the right speed/distance apart?

Well that is the theory as I saw them used on a youtube video, but I need a lot more than one pipette full of liquid to get anything here :LOL: so I just shoved the glass part into a spare piece of piping coming out of the pet shop air valve. It just seems to be better now as the drop is straight on and the flow appears more even. Will hunt out the video for you mate (y)

Haha, I got too impatient and went and looked at the exif data anyways :p LOL.

Yeh definitely get some rechargables for flash, I have a few sets of 4 rechargable AA batteries to swap around in my flashes, they do eat them up as you say. But it just makes water appear SO much better when lit from behind, you get a nice smooth surface to it and can't see through it :) It becomes the colour of whatever the reflector/diffuser is behind the water.

I've never used droppers, do you just squeeze it and hope two drops come out that are about the right speed/distance apart?

Well that is the theory as I saw them used on a youtube video, but I need a lot more than one pipette full of liquid to get anything here :LOL: so I just shoved the glass part into a spare piece of piping coming out of the pet shop air valve. It just seems to be better now as the drop is straight on and the flow appears more even. Will hunt out the video for you mate (y)

Oh I seee, you're still using the valve/airline technique? Is the pipette just being a sort of reservoir then? :thinking:

Nope no electric sensors and no tricks with lights :LOL: all hit (rarely) and a (MISS a lot) here :LOL:

Be warned it gets addictive.

Oh I seee, you're still using the valve/airline technique? Is the pipette just being a sort of reservoir then? :thinking:

I'm just using it as a better way for the water to come out than the plastic end on the valve I could't get it to come out straight until now. I may use the pipettes for different liquids IF I can get some more practice in and better results.

Just using your eye to assess when you think they might be colliding! I did a little pic and technique explanation HERE.

(sorry for hijacking your thread John)

No problem fire away (y) I would like to see everyone having a go at this as it is *cough* fairly easy and gives spectacular results. If I can do it anyone can, "seriously" :)

I think the hardest part is going to be to take a shot that hasn't been done before..... Hmmmm creative juices flowing..... :nuts:

Yes would love to see your own slant on this. To start off you can just puncture a plastic bag and let the drops fall into a dish of some sort. Have fun (y)

Talking of which, what was your "keeper" rate?

Addictive? Muchly! :D

two out of 800 ish :LOL:

I got this one out of about 80 this morning so i'm getting better..

Well 1 out of 700 ish and the next out of 100 ish

hmm my eyesight is wandering to a bottle of red food dye I bought this week.. bbl :LOL:

I'm just using it as a better way for the water to come out than the plastic end on the valve I could't get it to come out straight until now. I may use the pipettes for different liquids IF I can get some more practice in and better results

Oh I seeeee, I see. This makes more sense. So it's still like a bottle or something for the reservoir?

two out of 800 ish :LOL:

I got this one out of about 80 this morning so i'm getting better..

Well 1 out of 700 ish and the next out of 100 ish

Aye, that's not bad! For those double shots I attempted last night I took about 600 photos and got those 3 you saw. Basically, I need to place the droppers further away from each other as they are interacting and sending drops off outwards all directions, but I couldn't make them any further apart becuase of the connections I have, grr.

28r33pi.jpg

This one is my water reservoir and is controlled by the small aquarium tap for the flow

k1x7id.jpg

This one is showing the pipette attached to my tripod with electrical tape

dvsyna.jpg

This one shows my basic setup

Hope this makes it a little more clear :) Im not very good at explaining myself and as they say a photo says a thousand words :) Small aquarium fish food container is my catcher for the drops till I release them, and the food dye :shrug:

Last edited:
This one shows my basic setup

Hope this makes it a little more clear :) Im not very good at explaining myself and as they say a photo says a thousand words :) Small aquarium fish food container is my catcher for the drops till I release them, and the food dye :shrug:

Brilliant! Yeh that make's sense, I get ya now :) I like it, looks better put together than my set up :LOL:

Have you not got a nice big oven tray you can use as the base liquid holder? Gives you that "infinite background" look :D

Brilliant! Yeh that make's sense, I get ya now :) I like it, looks better put together than my set up :LOL:

Have you not got a nice big oven tray you can use as the base liquid holder? Gives you that "infinite background" look :D

I really need something else to use as a holder so I can use my tripod for the camera :LOL: Will have a look for a bigger tray but we are doing the food shop tonight and I will blag it that we need one for err!! Cooking or something :LOL: I have a tripod that I may be able to set up that kind Mr Cowasaki gave me but I have broken it in more than one way since bringing it home. including jamming up the geared head by jamming it in the wrong way then breaking the legs trying to free the geared head then pulling the legs off trying to get the geared head out another way. Damn I didn't know my own strength :LOL:

I really need something else to use as a holder so I can use my tripod for the camera :LOL: Will have a look for a bigger tray but we are doing the food shop tonight and I will blag it that we need one for err!! Cooking or something :LOL: I have a tripod that I may be able to set up that kind Mr Cowasaki gave me but I have broken it in more than one way since bringing it home. including jamming up the geared head by jamming it in the wrong way then breaking the legs trying to free the geared head then pulling the legs off trying to get the geared head out another way. Damn I didn't know my own strength :LOL:

Hahahaha... I just laughed out loud reading that :p

Hmm... I am using a hatchling tub full of bags of sand, sometimes placed on top of the yellow pages, with a wooden spoon attached to it with blue tac and a rubber band, how's that for technical? ;)

Can you not stack some books covered with a water proof sheet on to make a high ledge to put the dropper? Then use the tripod for the camera?

I'm actually lucky... I've got two functioning tripods (one's used for the flash sometimes), and I paid for neither! :LOL:

I just looked through the rest of the photo's that I took this morning and seem to have a couple more collisions. My haste to post this one took me off on a tangent :) Watch this space.

I think the MacGyver way is the best way to go, a Leatherman some tape and bits of broken tripods FTW!!!.

The missus says drilling holes in the ceiling to hang bags of water from is a BIG no no.. damn it. Will have to put my thinking head on.

Last edited:
Not as good but posted anyway :shrug:

9sfo8n.jpg

2dr75lh.jpg

Damn .. forgot to sharpen them :shrug:

Last edited:
Not as good but posted anyway :shrug:

Flash is too slow for them, because it's just in inbuilt one, even on minus 1 and 2/3rds power it's still not as good as an external, I don't think. What level does your external flash go down to? Mine go's to 1/16th power and that's what all mine are taken on. Go get some batteries and use it! :p

Flash is too slow for them, because it's just in inbuilt one, even on minus 1 and 2/3rds power it's still not as good as an external, I don't think. What level does your external flash go down to? Mine go's to 1/16th power and that's what all mine are taken on. Go get some batteries and use it! :p

Will do (y)

I have a shopping list. The missus will give me a few strange looks as I throw in an extra couple of pints of milk, some different food colouring, and a new baking tray. She will think I'm heading towards the kitchen to start making cakes or something. The batteries will be the icing on the cake, pardon the pun.

Will do (y)

I have a shopping list. The missus will give me a few strange looks as I throw in an extra couple of pints of milk, some different food colouring, and a new baking tray. She will think I'm heading towards the kitchen to start making cakes or something. The batteries will be the icing on the cake, pardon the pun.

Hahaha, yeh my shopping list consists of much the same thing often... I keep running out of milk mysteriously so quickly nowadays and stealing the flatmates' :LOL:

I'll keep a look out on this thread for more pics then! (y)

nice one John (y)

Brilliant capture John ! There will be no holding you back now :)

Thanks mate I'm holding myself back as I forgot to get my supplies from the shops tonight and am looking on line instead for a good couple of sets of Enelope's and charger pack instead. I notice that 7dayshop is having a clear out and I can get 8 batteries with two chargers for under £20 delivered. Will have to divert my camera towards some droplet refraction shots like you have been putting out recently while I await delivery :)

nice one John (y)

Thanks Carol It's still not the perfect collision that I can sit back and not find fault with, I feel I'm going in the right direction though and with help from Ash I'm sure I will get there in the end :)

Amazing pics John, and a fascinating thread!

Cheers mate these things are filling my spare time at the moment. Once I get one as good as Ash turns out I can take my foot off the gas then :)

Brilliant work John, I bet your shutter count will take a hammering from now on!

Thanks for commenting Carl (y) I'm sure my shutter is nearly worn out now. Are you not going to give these a shot at some point?

I had to give a chat at my local camera club last night and I used my best collision for the chat instead of putting it into the print competition. I had this idea not to use any standard photography for the chat as a room full of expert photographers would have probably flayed me alive for my mistakes, so I only entered three photos my milky drops collision, the smoke with coloured effect and the light bulb one. They all seemed to go down very well and most members were asking for links to the TP tutorials straight afterwards. I may have a little competition in the annual compo in a couple of months now :)

Fabtastic capture, and great to see the setup & some explaination too (y)

Back