Got me new motor...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
...and she's a peach! Will have to wait until the weekend to pick her up but I'm so happy I need to tell the world!! :)

cupra.jpg

Came in under budget for a 2006 model and it's in the right colour – just hope no one mistakes me for a chav!!! :)

Nah, just the normal ones. R's with the Recaros are like rocking horse much*–*suppose being an £800 option at the time wasn't a big hit with the punters!!

I had a recaro'd R for a test drive when I was looking to replace my old CTR, the difference they make to the feel of the car is worth the premium imo.

I was quite impressed with it too, until it broke down due to a defective ignition coil :(

They are a cracking sensible car in the hot hatch market, easier to live with as an everyday driver than a CTR due to the turbo'd power unit and the rear doors.

Lovely cars....nice one!

Keep that Red polished up though, that's VW Flash Red I think and it's a bugger for fade...

Cheers,
James

Keep that Red polished up though, that's VW Flash Red I think and it's a bugger for fade...

Each time you polish it, you will accelerate its susseption to fade.

Wash it thoroughly, then apply either a 2 stage glaze like diamond brite (does the job but not worth anywhere near the dealer price) epay is your friend.

Or polish it once, then apply a good quality carnauba wax. Do this once a year. I found Harly Wax (again, epay is your friend) really good and worth the money.

Glad you didn't buy new :LOL::LOL: Saved yourself a good wedge there !!

BB, will be looking into methods of TLC, as my missus will want me to look after this one after the abuse I gave my Mondeo and my previous Vectra V6. Deffo gladIi bought a used one – £20K minimum for a new version, and even though they look sweet as, it's still twenty grand!!!

Matt, I like the old CTR (looks-wise) but the new one is too expensive and just a bit too raucous for eeveryday driving. Just preferred the five-door functionality of the Leon, especially to get all my fishing gear in...

Only thing wrong with there was a few stone chips on the front bumper (which the SEAT garage is retouching during the pre-delivery service) and thatblack front splitter is a bit tired*–*might have a word and see if they can change that, as it's only a £20 part.

Last edited:
Matt, I like the old CTR (looks-wise) but the new one is too expensive and just a bit too raucous for eeveryday driving. Just preferred the five-door functionality of the Leon, especially to get all my fishing gear in...

I love the old CTR. A certain trip to anglesey in the CTR sticks in my mind. My brother in law had to sell his after the birth of my niece. It was a crackin car!

Can I spoil the party and just say i really don't like the look of it. That said, i'm sure it will be your pride and joy and I hope you have a lot of fun in it. I'm just not a fan of Seat or red cars...

Hepburn, hey, no probs – each to his own. Just got bored of my boring green Mondeo and fancied something a bit swish. Am sure the SEAT isn't everyone's cup of tea though, which is good, because I'm fed up of driving a car that everyone seems to own. It's a bit vain but what the hell....

225bhp – the last of the Mk1 Cupra R. Been after one for ages and got the green light from the missus so thought "what the hell!"

Hey Specialman,
I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new car. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Be safe mate. ;):woot::woot:

Hepburn, hey, no probs – each to his own. Just got bored of my boring green Mondeo and fancied something a bit swish. Am sure the SEAT isn't everyone's cup of tea though, which is good, because I'm fed up of driving a car that everyone seems to own. It's a bit vain but what the hell....

I can certainly understand that. I can't wait to get into my MG after the Vectra!

Had one of these until last May when I treaded it back in. Probably my fav car to date, such fun to drive everyday, even put a smile on my face on the way to the showroom to pick up the new one.

Cupra_front.jpg

Now I have one of these

IMG_4010_web.jpg

It's only the FR version this time as the Cupra had not come out at the time and when they were going to be available there was going to be very limited numbers and hence limited negotiating on the price. It's a nice car but just not as much fun as the LCR which I still miss.

Have fun mate, you will love it. If you ever get board of the 225bhp then 275bhp is only £500 away :D

andyjayh, nice car!

Was tempted by the old and the new FR verions (the diesels) but put common sense regarding fuel economy on hold because I've never owned a 'hot hatch' before.

While waiting around for the salesman at the SEAT garage, had the pleasure of looking round the new Cupra, a white one with 18" white alloys, and it's a piece of work!!

Everyone who's owned one of the MK1 Cupra Rs seems to say its the car that's been the most fun the own. Canb't pick it up until next week now, due my loan company being slow to process the money*–*gutted :(

You made the right choice going for the LCR rather than an FR Diesel, lot more fun factor :D

What put me off the new Cupra was the lack of cosmetic differences from the FR for the price. I had a good long hard stare at them both in the showroom and there really was hardly any difference. Mine has 18" alloys and aside from the extra 40bhp! What was I paying for?? So I saved the cash as my misses was just about to drop our first sprog :baby:

One thing to watch out for with the LCR though is that front spoiler, it's very easy to catch in carparks. As it sticks out so far in front, once the back end of the car is raised, it tends to hit the ground. I had one local carpark that I could park in :bang:

Picked it up today and had a loverly drive back down the M1 this afternoon... not!!

Too many lorrries and too many old dodderers in Toyota Yaris' to put my foot down but saying that, when i did on a back lane, the old fuel consumption thingy was saying 25mpg!!!! I think this car's gonna be fun but very expensive!!

I've read they're a great car to drive - considered one myself but to be honest doesn't do much for me in the looks department, although thats probably the point of the design anyway - power but not "in your face"

simon

BB, :) :)

Simonkit, I quite like the fact there are not too many of these around and that they don't have the ballsy looks of the Civic TR or the madness of the Focus ST.

Brought it home to the missus and she said that it looks really grown up and subtle!!! Thumbs up from her then. :)

First six hours of owning has been fun just learning how the car reacts. Totally different to my Mondeo but those windy back roads are gonna take some time to get to know properly at speed (legal speeds of course!!). :)
The turbo seems to give endless power right through from 2,000rpm and the sound of it whirring under the bonnet sounds nice.

Last edited:
Expect single figure fuel consumption when you are enjoying yourself :LOL:

You will love this car, wish I still had mine sometimes :crying:

great colour :) ...I own the fr tdi, and love it to bits. The tdi is such a different beast to the petrol...not as many horses, but more torque (mine will have even more when it gets remapped on wednesday :))

leon.jpg

hope you have as much fun as i've had in the last 18 months!

DSC_05590.jpg

I love it! Great car, so much more fun that my diesel Mondeo. The missus likes it too, which is a bonus.

Nice :D

Back