Got Nikon D80 - help!

Name
Tracy
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Just got my new camera a Nikon D80 :D, having previously used an Olympus E-400 im very new to the features etc of the Nikons.

Have taken a few silly photos indoors (weathers been terrible :shake:) and am noticing that the pics are turning out quite soft??

Has anyone any advice to what I might be doing wrong etc :thinking:

Thank you

Tracy.

Can you post some examples with the exif data preferably.

Hi, thanks, not too sure what info you need but I will tell you what I can :LOL:

1/60 -shutter, F4- aperture, focal length 28mm and ISO 200, here is one pic, sorry not very good :shake:

DSC_0020.jpg

No its not camera shake, have a VERY steady hand, lol, or thats what I have been told and didnt have this problem with my old camera? :thinking:

No its not camera shake, have a VERY steady hand, lol, or thats what I have been told and didnt have this problem with my old camera? :thinking:

I tend to agree that it's camera shake, the shutter speed is far too low for a handheld shot like that. You may think you have a steady hand but the amount of movement required to cause a soft image is absolutely miniscule

The best thing to do is remove variables! Try taking a shot with the camera on a tripod or if you haven't got one on the corner of a table using the timer function. That will remove the "its camera shake" replies OR prove them right :)

I'd like to know a bit about yout focussing technique. Manual focus or autofocus? If autofocus, which AF point was selected or did you let the camera decide? Did you focus and recompose?

The reason I ask is that the cat's whiskers and the fur on his side seem to be a bit sharper than the rest. Clearly the depth of field is quite shallow (too shallow, I'd say, but that's a separate issue) and I can't help wondering whether you've somehow missed the focus.

At those sorts of settings, your depth-of-field will be very narrow, as Stewart says, it could all be down to your focus point...

You could up the ISO setting (400 is acceptable, even 800 under the right conditions) to increase the shutter speed, or use the flash (onboard or otherwise). Throw it on a tripod as well:)

Ok, I understand about the camera shake issues better now but why has this only shown up now using this camera and not before? :shake:

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the weight of the camera compared with the Olympus?

Also I have the beginnings of athritus in my wrists so was this the best camera for me to go for?

Havent got a Tripod yet as never used one before, will put photo up that I took with me when I signed up for my course (starting next week) taken with the Olympus (the tutor thought I had used a tripod for it and commented on my steady hands?) and hopefully you can all give me some more welcome advice :)

Thanks,

L1.gif

Now the camera wont take ANY photos no matter what setting I put it on including Auto, it just keeps on trying to focus in and out but refuses to take any photos grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :bang: :bang:

Any help would be very, very welcome ! :bonk:

Thanks Tracy

Just the kit lens at the moment the 18-135mm one, but I took pictures with this lens earlier and it was ok but soft, then they went really, really fuzzy and then it stopped taking photos at all????

Ive tried going outside, indoors, having the room lit and unlit and all different types of situations but its still not working!

Also checked lens and its not dirty etc.

I even reset it to default mode and it still wont work :bang:

Tracy.

p.s. its only a DAY old!!!

Did you buy it new from a shop or online, if the former why not take it back and see what they say.

Yes, bought it from a shop, so I think that I will be going back there tomorrow and finding out what they have to say :thinking:

Thanks for everyones help :)

Was it jessops in Milton Keynes by any chance ?

Was it jessops in Milton Keynes by any chance ?

No, lol, but it was a Jessops but in Hemel Hempstead and it was a display model, so dont know if that could be the reason, maybe someone dropped the damn thing grrrrrrr

Tracy

Well they should replace it if it's only a day old, or give you your money back, although I'm assuming you got it a bit cheaper as it was ex display.

Have you tried removing the lens and re-attaching it? It may not be on properly causing dodgy lens to body contacts which will affect the focusing (as it's an AFS lens).

Just a obvious one, but you never know - is the switch on the lens set to M/A Focusing, and is the Auto Focus switch on the body set to AF? (sorry for questioning the obvious but you may have knocked a switch - done it myself before!)

Have you tried removing the lens and re-attaching it? It may not be on properly causing dodgy lens to body contacts which will affect the focusing (as it's an AFS lens).

Just a obvious one, but you never know - is the switch on the lens set to M/A Focusing, and is the Auto Focus switch on the body set to AF? (sorry for questioning the obvious but you may have knocked a switch - done it myself before!)

Thanks but yes, Ive tried all the above, read through the manual and made sure that all the buttons were where they were meant to be etc :shake:

Im beginning to think thats Ive got a dodgy one here and im not happy but hopefully it will get sorted (or else :thumbsdown:) :LOL:

Tracy.

******UPDATE*****

Went back to Jessops today, not at all happy :shake:

They looked at my D80 and found that BOTH the camera and the lens were faulty :nono:

So me being me :LOL: told them NOT at all impressed and they tried to convince me that I should wait several days for them to try to find another D80 in one of there other stores, but I told them NO, my course starts tonight and the camera was sold not fit for use :shake:

So they (now several other customers are interested in what is going on) decided to give me a D90 :D

Im now charging the battery and will let you all know what I think when its up and running.

Also wanted to thank you all for the advice that was so kindly given (y)

Tracy.

If I had been given an D90 in exchange for a faulty D80 I would be far from unhappy!

Lets hope you can enjoy your D90.

******UPDATE*****

They looked at my D80 and found that BOTH the camera and the lens were faulty :nono:

So me being me :LOL: told them NOT at all impressed and they tried to convince me that I should wait several days for them to try to find another D80 in one of there other stores, but I told them NO, my course starts tonight and the camera was sold not fit for use :shake:

So they (now several other customers are interested in what is going on) decided to give me a D90 :D

Im now charging the battery and will let you all know what I think when its up and running.

Tracy.

Well done you, for sticking to your guns :clap::clap::clap:

A D90 has to be better by a country mile, so you really did get a good result.

Enjoy and hope your course goes well for you tonight :woot:

Hi All
Just joined so this is my first post, I have a D80 which was purchased new from Jessops in Bury as a kit with the 18-135 lens and experienced exactly the same problem until the lens would just continually hunt and not get a fix at all. Thinking that I must have done something wrong I took it back, the guy at the shop tried it, swapped for another 18-135, which worked a treat and still does and is a great general purpose lens, but it does just beggar the question, is this lens prone to this problem? or have Jessops ended up with a bad batch? Or what? I would be interested in hearing if anybody else has had this problem.

Cheers Paul (y)(y)

******UPDATE*****

Tracy.

What an excellent result, a brand new D90 for the price of an ex display D80, you must be chuffed i know i would be, well done, look forward to seeing some pics taken with it :clap:

Back