Got to photograph a cow tommorrow - Help!

Name
Sammy
Edit My Images
Yes
Highland Cow that is :D

Friends of mine who live on a farm are getting a "pet" Highland Cow and they want me to come and photograph it.

Any tips or anything to consider when doing this?

The location will be a grass field and I was thinkin of some close high aperature pics of the face and horns.

Quite lookin forward to it, I usually only photograph cars so it will be a challenge :)

Sammy

I would look through some of the posts on posing a horse from Hacker Dod and co - not a joke as a cow will look good from the same angles they just tend to be a bit lower heightwise!

Have fun, cows are much more interesting subjects than cars :LOL: :LOL:

One of the best photos I've seen was a highland cow with small DOF on a wide angle right up close. :)

It will look better if it is looking uphill.

Be slightly forward of side on for a full length shot - you want 4 legs, not 2 or 3.

A few nuts in your pocket might come in useful (feed nuts).

Is it going to be on a halter and held? Or are you just taking your chances? Will it have been groomed? If not it should be - get the owners to wash and comb it. The horns and hooves should be oiled too.

Light from the side will bring out the "shape" in the coat.

some great examples there, thanks very much! the cow will be free in the field and it will be groomed. they live in a huge house in the country and have loads of animals, so they are all really tame.

the cow itself is only a calf, just 5 months old i think. got some great inspiration now for shooting it. i like the ones with its tongue out :D

will post up the best shots i get :)

Was shooting some cows myself at the weekend and when I'd flickr'd them I discovered a flickr cow appreciation group.

An overabundance of up-close wide angle bignose shots there... of which I found myself also guilty!

Got to be a wide angle close up! Maybe slightly skewed to capture the staring eye. If you have access to a fish eye- all the better.

Here's one of my faves from the weekend.
3955941805_7c3d8d5cee.jpg

And the group on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/groups/moooooooooooooooooooooo/pool/

get as much texture into the hair detail
horn eye and hoof detail
i havent seen one for a while but i think they look more the place covered with earth and the remains of their stamping area..
i think probably 3/4 shots will show the body chest horn and front legs best

happy running

Go for a cow nose shot with a wide angle!

I love cow nose shots :D

Now I know cows have to have passports, this will be easier than getting the cow into the photo booth at tesco :LOL: ;)

Nigel.

Find out what sort of photograph is needed. No point in doing some reallt creative stuff if that's not what's required.

I suspect they may want photographs that show the animal off to it's best. One small tip. Make sure you can see all four of it's legs, This is very important this sort of photography.Make sure there is a little space between each leg so that they are separated is that is needed. I got this tip from a photographer that worked on an farming publication.

Have fun and don't forget the wellies

I was photographing a highland cow in a field at Cape Cornwall yesterday. I found it helps to grab it's attention. I tried a hand full of grass, but it wasn't interested. I'd certainly go for the suggestion of having some of it's recognisable feed with you, and ideally someone else offering it towards the cow so you have both hands to operate the camera. Highland cattle are lovely creatures, good luck.

Highland Cow that is :D

Friends of mine who live on a farm are getting a "pet" Highland Cow and they want me to come and photograph it.

Any tips or anything to consider when doing this?

The location will be a grass field and I was thinkin of some close high aperature pics of the face and horns.

Quite lookin forward to it, I usually only photograph cars so it will be a challenge :)

Sammy

PICS!!

well there was a slight change of plan and now i am going up today, leaving in a few minutes, so will post the pics up tonight :D

you need to remember i am a total beginner so need to go easy on me when i post them up :D

this is gonna be interesting.... :)

well thats me back, just loading the pics onto the pc and gonna sort through the raw files and do some photoshop magic :D went well i think.

the calf is only 5 months old and not used to human contact, so she was very timid, couldnt get right close but got some great pics (i hope)

You got some lovely shots of her - well done.

I love highland cows. Here are a couple of fully grown ones that I took last December in a local park. They are obviously quite used to posing for toggers!

coos1816smalldw5.jpg

some great examples there, thanks very much! the cow will be free in the field and it will be groomed. they live in a huge house in the country and have loads of animals, so they are all really tame.

the cow itself is only a calf, just 5 months old i think. got some great inspiration now for shooting it. i like the ones with its tongue out :D

will post up the best shots i get :)

A Highland calf! That sounds very cute!
Edit: just looked at your pics, they've very nice. They do her justice!

Back