Gothic

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
The Gothic in film has been a huge influence on me, ever since I stayed up late as a bairn to watch Hammer double bills on BBC2.

The recent excellent work by the BFI has done a lot to make me think about how the various elements of the Gothic work.

This series is an attempt to explore the gothic tropes and conventions; in some cases they will quote specific sources but in others they will strive to be - in the truest sense of the word - generic.

I'll add the shots as they're produced and then present the final project. There is a plan of the various elements that wil be included but that's open to change.

This first one is a very obvious quotation from an M R James Ghost Story, O Whistle and I'll Come to You; the latin translates as "Who is this who is coming?" I used this as a test to develop the post processing style I'll use for some of the shot.

The base shot was a simple portrait taken in the woods; the ghost is actually Michael Hordern from the BBC 1960s film of the story. There's then been a PP doF to exaggerate the original f1.8 and finally an old film stock preset I've developed for the project.

Gothic: "Quis est iste qui venit?"
by ReanimatedImagery, on Flickr

More to come later.

Hi, Tony, after seeing your TP 52 work, I'm expecting some good stuff in this project.

#1, very eerie and does send a little tingle down my spine. That moment when you turn around and see so even behind you. No real crit, perhaps a tad closer to the FG chap without increasing the size of the sinister chap. I guess this may reduce the sense of isolation felt by FG chap.

Cheers.

Back